Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rks

For anyone doubting people leaving:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/the-irish-living-life-for-less-in-sunnier-climes-1.4393494

Of course not everyone can leave but for those who can there are better options outside of Dublin or Ireland.

Hopefully this results in both property price drops and ridiculous rents.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Discussion of historical vacant property rates moved to:
    Vacant Properties in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dev_ire

rks wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/the-irish-living-life-for-less-in-sunnier-climes-1.4393494

Of course not everyone can leave but for those who can there are better options outside of Dublin or Ireland.

Companies are asking people to come back, or to take pay cuts to do this for tax reasons they can't be paying people Dublin or Ireland prices if you are off elsewhere for most of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

rks wrote: »

Ridiculous article. This is the Irish Times of course so the story is non journalism. They interviews a few people taling career breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

dev_ire wrote: »
    Companies are asking people to come back, or to take pay cuts to do this for tax reasons they can't be paying people Dublin or Ireland prices if you are off elsewhere for most of the year.

Never once heard of anyone being asked to take a pay cut that’s nonsense

• Advertisement

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/careers/google-deadline-irish-based-staff-return-home

Of course this will happen more and more, why would they pay American or Irish wages to people working over half the year (or local tax law time limits) abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,594 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Companies that have remote working will have different payscales depending on where you are located. It was quite common already (pre corona) for such systems in companies that ran that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It's not nonsense. If you work for Facebook or Google they aren't going to employ you in Ireland and pay you your Irish salary while you decide to live in Greece

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

JimmyVik wrote: »
    10% to 20% down or up?
    Can you link some examples?

10-20% down. Can't link. How do you link? (Serious question). I'll put in reference for time being.
    11 Knightshaven , Valentia, Kerry my home asking 168,500-ppr-130,000.
    21 Ashfield, Greenville ,Listowel,
    My home asking 345,000-ppr-Oct 300,000.
    I checked about 6/7 properties and theses were the first two that I could find cashe asking prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

Looks like the bigger build-to-rent/buy-to-let investors are soaking up all the extra cash allocated to housing in the Budget:

"There has been an escalation in interest from both domestic and international investors in long-term leasing to local authorities over the last few months, according to a report from commercial real estate services group CBRE Ireland."

If I was a small residential property investor, I would be getting all my documentation in order before there's no cash left.

Link to Irish Independent article here: https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/market-for-private-rentals-is-strong-with-shortage-of-supply-a-big-factor-39694960.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

It's not nonsense. If you work for Facebook or Google they aren't going to employ you in Ireland and pay you your Irish salary while you decide to live in Greece

Salaries in Dublin tech aren’t high because the companies feel sorry for staff with high rent. It is skill supply and demand. Salaries won’t reduce. The request for employees to return to Ireland is due to tax legislation. They can return and park themselves in Donegal, or most probably in Meath, or in Kildare which unlike Meath has rain.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

Looks like the bigger build-to-rent/buy-to-let investors are soaking up all the extra cash allocated to housing in the Budget:

"There has been an escalation in interest from both domestic and international investors in long-term leasing to local authorities over the last few months, according to a report from commercial real estate services group CBRE Ireland."

If I was a small residential property investor, I would be getting all my documentation in order before there's no cash left.

Link to Irish Independent article here: https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/market-for-private-rentals-is-strong-with-shortage-of-supply-a-big-factor-39694960.html

Hang on, you were only on here the other day making claims of a serious oversupply and saying that there's no demand.
    Some day. But from just looking at the number of a-rated turn-key apartments and houses for sale and rent in Dublin on MyHome.ie, the figure must be at least in the 5,000-6,000 range. That’s a fairly significant number of new build homes looking for occupiers and is significant for such a small city, We’re not London. And we’re still expected to build c.16,000-18,000 this year with most to be built in the greater Dublin region...
    I don’t believe the demand was there this time last year. I don’t believe there’s any demand right now. And I believe there will be less than zero demand this time next year and right out to 2030 at least.

And yet here you are linking an article with the headline 'Market for private rentals is strong with shortage of supply a big factor'

So which is it?

Hang on, you were only on here the other day making claims of a serious oversupply and saying that there's no demand.

And yet here you are linking an article with the headline 'Market for private rentals is strong with shortage of supply a big factor'

So which is it?

It's the first one :) The only reason the bigger build-to-rent investors are now going to lease to the state in bulk is that there was no previous demand, there is no current demand and they've realised over the past 12 months there will be no future demand from the private rental market for their units. They're getting their hands on all this extra cash in the housing budget before the small time residential property investors cop on to the true nature of the property market.

As per the article I linked:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Or the state is vastly overpaying

😎

Salaries in Dublin tech aren’t high because the companies feel sorry for staff with high rent. It is skill supply and demand. Salaries won’t reduce. The request for employees to return to Ireland is due to tax legislation. They can return and park themselves in Donegal, or most probably in Meath, or in Kildare which unlike Meath has rain.

This is true as long as you can make it to the office as often as needed, this is true whether you work from home or not.

Or the state is vastly overpaying

Well of course they're over-paying. It's your money, not theirs. But it won't be too long before the mandarins in the Department of Finance put a block on new expressions of interest in their long-term leasing solution. These are long-term permanent additions to current expenditure and the maths don't add up at the moment and they definitely won't add up come next February.

It's the first one :) The only reason the bigger build-to-rent investors are now going to lease to the state in bulk is that there was no previous demand, there is no current demand and they've realised over the past 12 months there will be no future demand from the private rental market for their units. They're getting their hands on all this extra cash in the housing budget before the small time residential property investors cop on to the true nature of the property market.

Also as per the article you linked it specifically says that the private rental market has remained strong due to a lack of supply.
    The private rental market is among the few areas of the commercial property sector to so far escape being negatively impacted by the threat of a hard Brexit and Covid-19.

This is due, in part, to a continued shortage of supply.

And yet you read it and think it supports your idea that there's an oversupply?

Nowhere in the article does it say the only reason they're investing is to lease to the state. Have you any evidence that this is the case?

It also doesn't say that only bigger build to rent investors are interested in leasing to local authorities. Have you any evidence that this is the case either?

According to you there's already thousands of vacant investment properties that could be let to the state already. If investment funds really were only interested in letting to the state, and the state really was interested in letting from them, why are they vacant right now? And why would investment funds build new property to rent to the state when they haven't rented the stock they already have to them?

Also as per the article you linked it specifically says that the private rental market has remained strong due to a lack of supply.

And yet you read it and think it supports your idea that there's an oversupply?

Nowhere in the article does it say the only reason they're investing is to lease to the state. Have you any evidence that this is the case?

It also doesn't say that only bigger build to rent investors are interested in leasing to local authorities. Have you any evidence that this is the case either?

According to you there's already thousands of vacant investment properties that could be let to the state already. If investment funds really were only interested in letting to the state, and the state really was interested in letting from them, why are they vacant right now? And why would investment funds build new property to rent to the state when they haven't rented the stock they already have to them?

Apologies, I didn't realise there had been a significant drop in the number of units to rent on Daft.ie over the past 6 months.

Apologies, I didn't realise there had been a significant drop in the number of units to rent on Daft.ie over the past 6 months.

That's 3 times now you've posted that same one line from the article. I don't think anyone needed to read it again. Now could you answer my questions about your claims?

Where is the evidence this is the ONLY reason anyone is investing?

Where is the evidence that this is ONLY large scale build to let investors?

If the primary reason for investing is to rent to the state why have they not already leased the stock they already have to LAs?

If there is a chronic oversupply why are they planning to build more if they can't lease the stock they already have?

That's 3 times now you've posted that same one line from the article. I don't think anyone needed to read it again. Now could you answer my questions about your claims?

Where is the evidence this is the ONLY reason anyone is investing?

Where is the evidence that this is ONLY large scale build to let investors?

If the primary reason for investing is to rent to the state why have they not already leased the stock they already have to LAs?

If there is a chronic oversupply why are they planning to build more if they can't lease the stock they already have?

It's not me that's stating it. it's CBRE:

Unless you now also don't trust the report from CBRE? Maybe you're right though. There's probably no link between 'an escalation in interest from both domestic and international investors in long-term leasing to local authorities over the last few months' and the near doubling of units to rent on Daft.ie over the past 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Springy Turf

4th time. You're some wind up merchant.

And 4 times he stated there was nothing in that article that stated such a thing :)

But I will now agree with him (out of exasperation) that there's probably no link whatsoever between 'an escalation in interest from both domestic and international investors in long-term leasing to local authorities over the last few months' and the near doubling of units to rent on Daft.ie over the past 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Springy Turf

How did you get from 'an escalation in interest from both domestic and international investors in long-term leasing to local authorities over the last few months' to your statement that "The only reason the bigger build-to-rent investors are now going to lease to the state in bulk is that there was no previous demand, there is no current demand and they've realised over the past 12 months there will be no future demand"

That's 3 times now you've posted that same one line from the article. I don't think anyone needed to read it again.
    It's not me that's stating it. it's CBRE:

:pac:
    Unless you now also don't trust the report from CBRE? Maybe you're right though. There's probably no link between 'an escalation in interest from both domestic and international investors in long-term leasing to local authorities over the last few months' and the near doubling of units to rent on Daft.ie over the past 6 months.

I haven't seen the report from CBRE, and I would guess neither have you since all you've done is post a line from an article about it.

I never said that there wasn't a link between people being interested in letting to LAs and the increase in available rental properties. Obviously it stands to reason that property investors would investigate other options, you'd be a pretty bad businessman not to investigate all your options given the current situation.

There's a big leap from 'an escalation of interest' to this though;

The quote you posted does not say anything remotely in support of your claim that the only reason anyone is investing is to rent to the state, or that it's only bigger build to let investors. I am assuming since you haven't posed anything to support your claims we can all dismiss them as wild speculation?

How did you get from 'an escalation in interest from both domestic and international investors in long-term leasing to local authorities over the last few months' to your statement that "The only reason the bigger build-to-rent investors are now going to lease to the state in bulk is that there was no previous demand, there is no current demand and they've realised over the past 12 months there will be no future demand"

Simple.

No previous demand from private sector:

From last February (pre-covid):

"The luxury gap: hundreds of high-end apartments lying empty across Dublin"

Link to Sunday Business Post here: https://www.businesspost.ie/ireland/the-luxury-gap-hundreds-of-high-end-apartments-lying-empty-across-dublin-ac7da06c

No current demand from private sector:

Units to rent on Daft.ie near doubling over the past 6 months.

No future demand from private sector:

Link to article in Irish Independent today: https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/market-for-private-rentals-is-strong-with-shortage-of-supply-a-big-factor-39694960.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Meath gets more rain than Kildare

Simple.

No previous demand from private sector:

From last February (pre-covid):

"The luxury gap: hundreds of high-end apartments lying empty across Dublin"

Link to Sunday Business Post here: https://www.businesspost.ie/ireland/the-luxury-gap-hundreds-of-high-end-apartments-lying-empty-across-dublin-ac7da06c

No current demand from private sector:

Units to rent on Daft.ie near doubling over the past 6 months.

No future demand from private sector:

Link to article in Irish Independent today: https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/market-for-private-rentals-is-strong-with-shortage-of-supply-a-big-factor-39694960.html

Only you could read an article with the headline 'Market for private rentals is strong with shortage of supply a big factor' and say there's no future demand from the private sector.

I can selectively quote news articles too!

Evidence of previous demand from private sector:

From last April (pre-covid):

Overnight queues for chance to buy a house

'In a throwback to the kind of scenes witnessed at the height of the Celtic Tiger housing bubble, wanna-be homeowners queued overnight in a Cork city suburb for a chance to buy a home.

According to eye-witnesses, as many as 35 people slept in their cars outside the newly-developed Heathfield Estate, in Ballincollig, last Friday night, for an opportunity to buy into the scheme, as part of a “third release” of homes.'

Evidence of current demand from private sector:

The Daft.ie House Price Report Q3 2020

'In the third quarter of the year, however, prices rose by an average of 4.8% in just three months. This is the largest quarterly increase in average prices
    since the start of 2015 and the fourth largest three quarter jump overall, in a series extending back to the start of 2006.'

'Supply down 25%. There were just over 4,000 properties on the market in Dublin on October 1, down from almost 5,500 on the same date a year ago.'

Evidence of future demand from private sector:

Market for private rentals is strong with shortage of supply a big factor

'The private rental market is among the few areas of the commercial property sector to so far escape being negatively impacted by the threat of a hard Brexit and Covid-19.

This is due, in part, to a continued shortage of supply.'

(This is the same article you linked. Funny how easy it is to selectively quote news articles to make any argument you want eh?)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'd like to swap him for that Estonian guy, he was far more fun.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I'd like to swap him for that Estonian guy, he was far more fun.

Well if I'm right, the small residential investor landlord in Ireland is going to be paying on the double for not getting his documentation in order as of today i.e. 1. the big domestic and international residential property investors will soak up all the available cash allocated under the long-term leasing initiative long before they get a look-in and there won't be any cash left for the small time residential property investor by the time he does get his documentation in order and, 2. his taxes on rental income, property taxes, income taxes etc. will rise to meet the ongoing cost of these long-term leasing initiatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Well if I'm right, the small residential investor landlord in Ireland is going to be paying on the double for not getting his documentation in order as of today i.e. 1. the big domestic and international residential property investors will soak up all the available cash allocated under the long-term leasing initiative long before they get a look-in and there won't be any cash left for the small time residential property investor by the time he does get his documentation in order and, 2. his taxes on rental income, property taxes, income taxes etc. will rise to meet the ongoing cost of these long-term leasing initiatives.

Is the government now the only entity in the country renting apartments and houses? I learn something new every day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement