Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

According to RTE today: "A proposal for a developer to build 853 homes on public land is set to be voted down by Dublin city councillors"

Dublin City Council then stated that: "if this plan is voted down it will take around 5 years to draw up another one through the tendering process."

Link to RTE here: https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/1115/1178315-land-developer-council/

This level of proposed delay can't be due to a lack of expertise or resources. It doesn't take 5 years to do anything, anywhere on the planet if the will is truly there.

The identification of a need for a national children's hospital was around 1995. How's that going? If providing adequate and modern health care to children isn't enough to motivate this country, what do you propose would be the thing would be that would spur the obviously far greater motivation required to get something done in a shorter time frame than mañana?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Timing belt

According to RTE today: "A proposal for a developer to build 853 homes on public land is set to be voted down by Dublin city councillors"

Dublin City Council then stated that: "if this plan is voted down it will take around 5 years to draw up another one through the tendering process."

Link to RTE here: https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/1115/1178315-land-developer-council/

This level of proposed delay can't be due to a lack of expertise or resources. It doesn't take 5 years to do anything, anywhere on the planet if the will is truly there.

If you look at the votes at you will probably find it is along party lines and all for political advantage. They don’t care about anything else no matter what they say. None of the political parties want to address housing and are more interested in self preservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

<SNIP>

<SNIP>

That was not a link drop :) That was a link to a Glenveagh development in Stamullen, Co. Meath where they are now selling a-rated three bed houses for under €300k.

The other two links were to an SCSI report in July 2020 stating that the cost of building a home in the Greater Dublin region is now c. €371k and another link to an SCSI report from 2016 stating that the cost of building a home in the greater Dublin region was c. €330k.

All three items highly relevant to a discussion on the 2020 property market and also relevant to each other for the purposes of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

That was not a link drop :) That was a link to a Glenveagh development in Stamullen, Co. Meath where they are now selling a-rated three bed houses for under €300k.

The other two links were to an SCSI report in July 2020 stating that the cost of building a home in the Greater Dublin region is now c. €371k and another link to an SCSI report from 2016 stating that the cost of building a home in the greater Dublin region was c. €330k.

All three items highly relevant to a discussion on the 2020 property market and also relevant to each other for the purposes of context.

What does Link drop mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Cyrus wrote: »
    Would you lend to an airline worker at the moment ?

I guess the banks have access to all the records of who is not paying their mortgages? They then take a risk based decision to curb lending to any subset which stands out. Airline employees may feature heavily as people who have deferred payment and as such will inform any macro decision making process.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    so what should be done to facilitate these workers needs in regards housing?

well duh,

free foreva houses for all

Pelezico wrote: »
    What does Link drop mean?

I'll let the moderator explain :)

But for further context on the post, Gleanveagh are now selling a-rated three bed houses in the Greater Dublin region for less than the cost that the SCSI said it would cost to build them in 2016.

brisan wrote: »
    That was not the point he was making

im not sure what point he is trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,394 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

well duh,

free foreva houses for all

prejudice isnt a particular nice trait in a human! i will ask you again, what should we do for those who cannot get access to funding to secure their housing needs?

• Advertisement

prejudice isnt a particular nice trait in a human! i will ask you again, what should we do for those who cannot get access to funding to secure their housing needs?

In order for there not to be such prejudices, you would have to use legislation to forbid the banks from using or seeking the identity of an applicants employer.

does the 330k and 371k include site costs? and at what level?

i gave you your answer, the common one seems to be give everyone who wants a house a house, whether they can afford one or not, as apparenty we are all entitled to a house, in a location agreeable to us.

cnocbui wrote: »
    In order for there not to be such prejudices, you would have to use legislation to forbid the banks from using or seeking the identity of an applicants employer.
    i gave you your answer, the common one seems to be give everyone who wants a house a house, whether they can afford one or not, as apparenty we are all entitled to a house, in a location agreeable to us.

..and by not providing homes, solves these issues by......

once again, i will ask you, what do we actually do when some people are unable to provide themselves with a home?

You should not take what I said to mean a bank should lend to anyone, irrespective of means. What I said was appropos of them not knowing the employer, not them not knowing the income and means.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

does the 330k and 371k include site costs? and at what level?

That depends on how someone wants to misrepresent the SCSI report.

..and by not providing homes, solves these issues by......

once again, i will ask you, what do we actually do when some people are unable to provide themselves with a home?

im not sure what you want me to say,

whats your answer?

lend to people in a very precarious position?

Give them a free house?

im not sure what you want me to say,

whats your answer?

lend to people in a very precarious position?

Give them a free house?

you ll actually find very few, if anyone, truly receives a free home, the only way to do so, is to pay no taxes, and no rent, very few, if any citizens do so!

you ll actually find very few, if anyone, truly receives a free home, the only way to do so, is to pay no taxes, and no rent, very few, if any citizens do so!

essentially free, what kind of rent does someone on social welfare pay?

very little is the answer

anyway whats your solution.

essentially free and free, are not actually the same thing, the term you re looking for is, 'heavily subsidised'! many welfare receipts pay small amounts of rent, i.e , their homes are 'heavily subsidised'!

we re clearly in desperate need of increasing our public housing stock, but this may never happen, as we re stuck in a cycle of defaulting towards the market in doing so.....

• Advertisement

The rent paid to landlords through the long-term lease agreements or HAP or whatever scheme the state conjures up next to keep rents high has absolutely nothing to do with the tenant.

If the state wasn't paying the landlord, the landlord wouldn't find a non-HAP tenant to pay an equivalent rent to what the landlords are currently seeking or they would already be renting to a non-HAP tenant i.e. market rents would be considerably lower than they currently are without HAP etc.

It's basically welfare for the landlord not the tenant, and that's what I object my taxes going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Probably expected with lockdown, but Dublin total property listings on My Home is only 4017 right now. That's a drop from 4458 since October 7th.

Supply was already chronic without adding a 10% reduction in overall volume to the mix.

Be interesting to see if this picks up in January. I expect it will, but not sure by how much.

essentially free and free, are not actually the same thing, the term you re looking for is, 'heavily subsidised'! many welfare receipts pay small amounts of rent, i.e , their homes are 'heavily subsidised'!

we re clearly in desperate need of increasing our public housing stock, but this may never happen, as we re stuck in a cycle of defaulting towards the market in doing so.....

ok heavily subsidised,

ill ask again, whats your solution?

The rent paid to landlords through the long-term lease agreements or HAP or whatever scheme the state conjures up next to keep rents high has absolutely nothing to do with the tenant.

If the state wasn't paying the landlord, the landlord wouldn't find a non-HAP tenant to pay an equivalent rent to what the landlords are currently seeking or they would already be renting to a non-HAP tenant i.e. market rents would be considerably lower than they currently are without HAP etc.

It's basically welfare for the landlord not the tenant, and that's what I object my taxes going on.

thats gone over your head i think.

ok heavily subsidised,

ill asl again, whats your solution?

thats gone over your head i think.

Nobody would be paying €3,000 a month for an apartment at Herbert Hill in Dundrum if the state wasn't paying it.

the solution is that we need more 'heavily subsidised houses'

isnt that what i said, free foreva houses for all.

the solution is that we need more 'heavily subsidised houses'

isnt that what i said, free foreva houses for all.

no, its not, and public housing isnt just social housing! you re just being ignorant now

Nobody would be paying €3,000 a month for an apartment at Herbert Hill in Dundrum if the state wasn't paying it.

so where would you put all the people that cant house themselves?

its not palatable to let them live under a bridge, the state isnt building social houses, so they are going to the private sector.

what would you have them do?

• Advertisement

no, its not, and public housing isnt just social housing! you re just being ignorant now

it is, same thing, you just dont like the way i say it.
    Social housing support is housing provided by a local authority or an approved housing body to people who are assessed as being unable to afford housing from their own resources.

whether thats no income or low income i dont see what the difference is between social and public housing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement