Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I wouldn't need to put an extension on the houses. They would be fine as they were.

if you dont need the extension thats great, but you can hardly expect someone who paid for one to attribute no value to it because its of no value to you?

just wait for one with no extension to come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Thanks for the advice. I'm well aware i have that option. I'll wait for the right one to come up.

Well good luck with what ever you choose D13 IMO is a good area I grew up there. You have plenty of options there currently and you dont have to pay more than you think but the flip side is the seller doesn't have to sell for less then they want.

Pelezico wrote: »
    Maybe he should wait for six months and save 20k.

No my advice is to wait till Pelezico's son buys then you will save a gazillion euro on your property, you might even get a "buy one get one free" at that stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

fliball123 wrote: »
    Well good luck with what ever you choose D13 IMO is a good area I grew up there. You have plenty of options there currently and you dont have to pay more than you think but the flip side is the seller doesn't have to sell for less then they want.

Yep very true. I'm in no panic to buy anyway. So if they want to reject and leave it on the market so be it. I sold mine quick enough as i didnt want to take that risk.

Yep very true. I'm in no panic to buy anyway. So if they want to reject and leave it on the market so be it. I sold mine quick enough as i didnt want to take that risk.

Can i ask where are you staying in the mean time are you renting??

• Advertisement

Can i ask where are you staying in the mean time are you renting??

Back to my Mams. Will leave 3 stone heavier

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭hometruths

Cyrus wrote: »
    the difference between us is my concern is for the majority, yours is for your son.

and as we all know high house prices are good for the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Back to my Mams. Will leave 3 stone heavier

Oh man...you are so in the driving seat. Wait six months, watch housing market crater and just count your lucky stars.

I bet you do not feel that life is on hold as you live with mama, watching the coin pile up.

There are some people on here who would have you believe that life without a house is somehow a life which is meaningless.

I do not subscribe to such nonsense myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Pelezico, quit the trolling.

Do not reply to this post.

if you dont need the extension thats great, but you can hardly expect someone who paid for one to attribute no value to it because its of no value to you?

just wait for one with no extension to come up.

It very much has its pros and cons . It means there is barely a back garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

schmittel wrote: »
    and as we all know high house prices are good for the majority.

is a massive economic downturn good for the majority?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

The negative side of a slowdown is that sellers wont sell if they cant get the price they have in their head

Its happening me at the moment.

Low balls offers are not being entertained because there is enough demand.
    Houses are selling for higher than asking price at the moment.
    There is no slowdown, quite the opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

D13. They want 370k. Im the only one who has shown an interest and said i would offer 355k.

D13
    That could be Mill brook or Sutton
    Plenty of stuff in Belmayne , Clongriffin The coast
    Donaghmede and Howth Sutton not so much

Well there are plenty (22 - 5 of which are less than 300k) of houses in D13 well under the 350k mark why dont you go for one of those for under 300k and you would have 55k to render it how you would like

D13 is a big area
    Belmayne is a long walk to the Dart
    Donaghmede is 5 min
    Sutton and Howth are also D13

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Low balls offers are not being entertained because there is enough demand.
    Houses are selling for higher than asking price at the moment.
    There is no slowdown, quite the opposite

No demand for the house Sweet Science is looking at
    No one else attended the viewings since

Oh man...you are so in the driving seat. Wait six months, watch housing market crater and just count your lucky stars.

I bet you do not feel that life is on hold as you live with mama, watching the coin pile up.

There are some people on here who would have you believe that life without a house is somehow a life which is meaningless.

I do not subscribe to such nonsense myself.

It is that bit easier when you can move in with family not everyone has that luxury

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭hometruths

is a massive economic downturn good for the majority?

short term no, but it is nothing to be scared of, for the majority.

brisan wrote: »
    No demand for the house Sweet Science is looking at
    No one else attended the viewings since

And the seller is not accepting the low ball offer :)

And the seller is not accepting the low ball offer :)

In their opinion . Based on the property price register they have unrealistic expectations. Time to move on.

In their opinion . Based on the property price register they have unrealistic expectations. Time to move on.

Well opinion or not you didnt get the house at the offer you put in keep an eye be interesting to see if it sells and at what price

• Advertisement

Well keep an eye be interesting to see if it sells and at what price

They've been trying to sell it since September 2019. It was actually listed at 395k back then. Then 369k by the same estate agent earlier this year. Now 365k by the new one.

Will keep an eye though. I'm interested now.

It is that bit easier when you can move in with family not everyone has that luxury

The burdens of home ownership are mortgage interest, repairs ,refuse collection, property taxes, insurance, electricty, insurance and probably some more.

If he can dispense with these, it is rational and wise to delay.

The burdens of home ownership are mortgage interest, repairs ,refuse collection, property taxes, insurance, electricty, insurance and probably some more.

If he can dispense with these, it is rational and wise to delay.

Living at home with the parents also has burdens, such as no space, living by someone eases graces. Why doesn't your son just live with you full stop and not bother buying at all if your rose tinted look at living at home with your parents are to be believed :)

Living at home with the parents also has burdens, such as no space, living by someone eases graces. Why doesn't your son just live with you full stop and not bother buying at all if your rose tinted look at living at home with your parents are to be believed :)

I just read an article that the percentage of young adults living with parents is the highest ever in US.

It is all about about economics.. why do lots of young people in Dublin live with parents for as long as they can suffer it? Economics. And owning a home is not the be all and end all although this view is rather unpopular on this thread.

I would suggest that independence is more important than either owning a house or economics

I just read an article that the percentage of young adults living with parents is the highest ever in US.

It is all about about economics.. why do lots of young people in Dublin live with parents for as long as they can suffer it? Economics. And owning a home is not the be all and end all although this view is rather unpopular on this thread.

Well you teach your kids your way and I will teach mine my way I will be encouraging my kids to get out on their own asap. (not necessarily buying maybe renting) Its good for them to be independent. Remember mam and dad wont always be there to fight their battles, pay their bills and wash their face.

bubblypop wrote: »
    I would suggest that independence is more important than either owning a house or economics

There is no reward for being on struggle street. I am from.the country myself, left home at 17 to head to uni and never returned.

Any Dublin parent can give their offspring a massive leg up and enable them to save where those from the country struggle. The good stuff perpetuates itself for the next generation.

Why would anyone want to live in a dump of an apartment whilst saving for a house if there is a pretty good alternative? All the young Dublin adults I know are doing it.

There is no reward for being on struggle street. I am from.the country myself, left home at 17 to head to uni and never returned.

Same as myself, and I believe the independence I gained from standing on my own two feet was invaluable life experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

bubblypop wrote: »
    Same as myself, and I believe the independence I gained from standing on my own two feet was invaluable life experience.

Couldn't agree more. I went from being an extremely shy individual to a confident independent person. The 'price' was moving out early on and paying crazy Dublin rents for years but did me more good than money could ever buy...

I can't help but compare to friends who stayed at home. Wonderful people who mean the world to me but we have very different lives... (dubs and country folk!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭combat14

multiple warnings for irish economy from EU, time to price a margin of safety in when buying a house here - by the looks of it we havent seen anything yet

The European Commission has said the outlook for the Irish economy is "highly uncertain" and that risks are "elevated".

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1178979/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement