Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass fed beef and its mineral nutirition

Options
  • 12-07-2020 1:39pm

Hey all. So i got about 40 euro a week to spend on my meet. Id like to spend it as efficiently as possible. IM looking for 100% grass fed beef. After doing some research i came across a farm that sells grass fed beef. their prices are reasonable enough at least i think.

Now my question is there. Does the top side roast beef cuts have adequate minerals and vitamins in it compared to other cuts of beef? They also sell minced and diced grass fed beef however I think i would get more out of the Top side roast they offer. The main minerals Im looking for are zinc and magnesium and iron. I understand that magnesium might be hard to get in beef( i can get in sunflower seeds and leafy greens) but its more zinc im interested in and the protein. However Id rather not invest 30 to 40 euro in meat thats not given me the minerals i need. It is hard to find like livers and stuff which I understand have the highest mineral and vitamin content but Ill be having at least 300 grams of roast beef a day. Is the top side roast beef cut that im interested in enough to get this or should I keep looking around( the north have some 100% grass fed farms tho shipping and currency costs might be an issue for me). Please serious inquires only Im trying to get my diet as clean as possible with the most minerals and vitamins i can get

here is a link i found that goes over mineral and vitamin content in top side roast beef but it was the only one i could find so https://www.checkyourfood.com/ingredients/ingredient/97/beef-topside-w-fat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Pretty much all Irish beef is grass-fed, with some supplementary feed in winter.

Mineral and trace element values aren't going to vary much from cut to cut, the main difference in nutritional values across cuts is going to be in fat content.

Have you been reading American sites, by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Dial Hard wrote: »

Have you been reading American sites, by any chance?

Exactly. By contrast to Ireland, US beef is mostly not grassfed, only the luxury expensive stuff is. Their luxury is our normal when it comes to beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Pretty much all cattle in Ireland are grass fed. Cattle are typically housed for the winter months and fed on silage/hay. Their diet is often supplemented with concentrates which might be cereal based.

This is in contrast to American cattle which are kept in a feedlot and fattened to slaughter in one year, usually fed maize or similar. What we buy as standard is a premium product in America.

There isn't going to be a whole lot of difference in the amount of zinc etc found in any particular cut of meat. Muscle doesn't store minerals in any one part of the body.

Liver which you mentioned is easily available in any supermarket or butchers.

Advertisement