Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite games from the 8bit / 16 bit

Options
  • 12-07-2020 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

As much I enjoy playing games today it was the 8/16 bit era where I got most of my enjoyment . It was the time of the Nintendo v Sega rivalry and I was firmly in the Nintendo camp. Games were alot more challenging back then . Some of my favourites back then were the castlevania series with Cas 2 Simon's Quest being my absolute favourite since it was the first to incorporate the metroidvania style . I also loved Shadow Warrior also called Ninja gaiden which was rock hard but I managed to complete it . On the snes I loved Zelda 3 FF 6 Chrono Trigger Castlevania 4 Super Metroid Super Ghouls and Ghosts Prince of Persia Actraiser but my absolute favourite was Shadow Run . A cyberpunk rpg that was ahead of its time and oozed atmosphere . Looking back what games would you remember foundly?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gunstar Heroes is the best game on the megadrive and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Contra 3 ( renamed Super Probotector here ) because they replaced the men with rebots as they thought the idea of men being killed was inappropriate was also class . As too was Cybernator

Mega man 2 another nes classic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Sonic The Hedgehog (MD)
    Mortal Kombat II (MD)
    Street Fighter II (SNES)
    Fifa 95 (MD)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Streets of rage 2
    Micro machines 2
    Super Tennis
    Desert strike
    Dynamite headdy
    Super Mario world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Gunstar Heroes is the best game on the megadrive and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise.

Sonic 2 you heathen.

But yeah, Gunstar Heroes is the tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Does Celeste count? :D

But eh, hard to pick a fav, theres stand out memorable games, Gauntlet, Double dragon 2, Sunset riders, Smash TV, Kid Chameleon, Altered Beast, Chrono Trigger.. I could go on but those are my stand out favs off the top of my head..

Alot of them were multi player co-op too which made it great playing with friends, you dont get much couch co-op games anymore, outside Nintendo anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Ive played absolutely loads of games from that era, fond memories of all the Mario games and the underratted rock n roll racing in particular but I'd personally rate Zelda 3 (link tt past) as far better than any other game of that era. I love nintendo but Botw is the only Nintendo game that's better than it.

We'd have been best pals at school OP I loved Shadowrun and Actraiser.

Myself and my brother played Zombies Ate my Neighbours quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
    Rock N Roll Racing (SNES)
    Sonic The Hedgehog (MD)

• Advertisement

We'd have been best pals at school OP I loved Shadowrun and Actraiser.

Did you complete them

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭peter4918

I had the NES and then the SNES so loved Mario, Zelda, Street fighter, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the DK games. Super Tennis on the SNES was great craic to play with brothers and friends.

My friend had a Megadrive so we used to go over to his house for a bit of Sonic and Streets of Rage 2 and I used to love Echo the Dolphin aswell. Good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Most of the EA Sport offerings on the Megadrive are way more fun to play than their modern equivalent. So I sank an awful lot of time in to NHL 95, PGA European Tour, John Madden football, FIFA 95 and Rugby World Cup (though I'd have preferred the Rugby League version I could never find it bitd). Also Brian Lara cricket was a good laugh.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest is my favourite game across any era. *cartwheels*

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Did you complete them

Only in recent years on retroatch. I got stuck/glitched in shadow run a couple of times late on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Zelda Link to the Past. Felt genuinely sad when that was all over.

DK country.. Apart from the revolutionary graphics the music and sound effects were perfect. That haunting feeling watching the rain getting closer as you progressed througha map to the clinking of the mine carts. Even the stupid underwater maps had a beautiful tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I remember being introduced to American football through John Madden 92...I think. Still keep an eye on the NFL because of Madden.

Hellfire on MD, remember it being very f'ing difficult and never did finish it but have great memories of it.

Landstalker, no idea how or why we had that game, think I was around 10 at the time, but it definitely started my interest/fondness for RPG games

• Registered Users Posts: 34,956 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Poor man's Alien Soldier.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    Poor man's Alien Soldier.

:pac::pac::pac:

Alien Soldier needs a 3 year Diploma course to understand how it works!

• Super Metroid easily

Completed it 3 times

3rd time was only last year. Timeless classic.

Same goes for SMW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

I only owned a Megadrive, my favourites at the time were:

Micro Machines 96
    Theme Park
    Syndicate
    Road Rash
    Jungle Strike
    NHL
    FIFA

I've since gone back and played many of the revered games mentioned above on both platforms, but never found any of them really held up by modern standards, when you don't have the nostalgia factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

Really, none of the Megadrive games I played clicked with me. And that was that for a few years, until I bought a SNES and Super Mario World was a revelation. Sonic was painful to play, dull and lifeless in comparison. SMW is still golden. Got Super Mario All Stars. SMB3 fantastic. Just stuck with Nintendo since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

I remember specifically being brought to the gaming section of Quinnsworth in Nutgrove by my dad when he asked If there was any of the games that were on sale that I wanted. Gunstar Heroes was £15, so was Alien 3.

It was one of the few times in life where I actually made the correct call:)

McFly85 wrote: »
    I remember specifically being brought to the gaming section of Quinnsworth in Nutgrove by my dad when he asked If there was any of the games that were on sale that I wanted. Gunstar Heroes was £15, so was Alien 3.

It was one of the few times in life where I actually made the correct call:)

Unlike Edge magazine who in their first issue gave the game a 6/10.

At least they were consistent in giving baffling review scores in all their issues and started as they meant to go on.

Mario Cart, f117 stealth fighter, SWOS, speedball 2, premier manager.

Many many hours.

Have a raspberry pi with retro pi installed and about 200 old school games from snes, mega drive, PlayStation 1 and 2 and a few dos classics.

Time to play is the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I got into gaming pretty late in life, so wouldn't necessarily have a lot of the context others would when naming their shout for BESTs. That said, if we'd collectively decided the later SNES era 1, 2 of Super Metroid then Chrono Trigger couldn't be topped and games stopped there and then, I would've understood the decision.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I got into gaming pretty late in life, so wouldn't necessarily have a lot of the context others would when naming their shout for BESTs. That said, if we'd collectively decided the later SNES era 1, 2 of Super Metroid then Chrono Trigger couldn't be topped and games stopped there and then, I would've understood the decision.

And FF6

I recall Super Metroid coming in a big box with a book. Loved that game too. Couldn't get into the later ones at at all. Played the prime 1 and half of 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Kick Off 2 / Player Manager
    Speed Ball 2
    Battle Isle
    Elite
    XWing vs Tie-Fighter (may have been 32 bit?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

nintendoo wrote: »
    Really, none of the Megadrive games I played clicked with me. And that was that for a few years, until I bought a SNES and Super Mario World was a revelation. Sonic was painful to play, dull and lifeless in comparison. SMW is still golden. Got Super Mario All Stars. SMB3 fantastic. Just stuck with Nintendo since.

lol, looking at your user name I would say you are a little biased.

Advertisement