Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have not Ironed a shirt since March

• 12-07-2020 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks to the lockdown and work from home routine,
    I have not ironed a shirt since March.
    Can I just say, I am very pleased about this! :D

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ok.

Yeah its great. The amount of time saved from weekly ironing is brilliant.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Yeah its great. The amount of time saved from weekly ironing is brilliant.

The body itself is a natural iron, haven't used one in years.

I've not ironed a shirt since about April... 2013.

Non-iron shirts are the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I've not ironed a shirt since 2004.

I got married then :D

The ironing service she provides is first class.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I've not ironed a shirt since about April... 2013.

Non-iron shirts are the future.

Even decent non iron shirts need a very quick iron. A non ironed shirt is a dead give away and doesn't leave a good impression in a meeting etc.

I can do 5 shirts in under 20 minutes, hardly a chunk taken out of my Sunday night - although haven't had to since mid March because of WFH.

Have barely worn socks since mid March either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Same here. Usually I iron 1 shirt a day 6 days a week which is a pain. Feel like I can't leave the house without an ironed shirt and ive never had the disipline to iron more than 1 shirt at a time

I think I've worn long trousers twice, or a maximum of three times since March.

Wouldn't be surprised if my muscle-memory has forgotten how to button a shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Greyfox wrote: »
    Same here. Usually I iron 1 shirt a day 6 days a week which is a pain. Feel like I can't leave the house without an ironed shirt and ive never had the disipline to iron more than 1 shirt at a time

Just put it on a hanger as soon as it comes out of the machine and hang it in the bathroom when you’re having a shower. I use this method for various clothing items and haven’t had to iron a thing in years, unless I was traveling for work and things had been in a suitcase or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I think I have worn shoes maybe 5 times since March

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I've been existing like Waynetta Slob because of working from home.

I'm getting my hair done tomorrow and I hope that motivates me to make more of an effort.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The body itself is a natural iron, haven't used one in years.
    You should use one.

Bodies are great.

I've only started ironing shirts since about march..

I haven’t ironed a shirt for about 10 years, In fact I haven’t ironed anything for years. Shirts get dropped to the dry cleaners for pressing every now and then (I’ve lots of shirts and don’t wear a shirt very often) and nothing else actually needs to be ironed.

I can’t believe people still waste their life ironing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Iron them as you need them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've not worn a shirt since March, I have a feeling they will need some modifications to accommodate my new less aerodynamic working from home layout :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Darc19 wrote: »

I hope you are planning to get her a new iron for your 20th anniversary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Darc19 wrote: »

Wash
    Iron
    F#@€;
    Etc

WIFE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Wouldn't be surprised if my muscle-memory has forgotten how to button a shirt.

its great.

think ive worn shorts every day since mid march.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I've got into a terrible habit of getting up, putting dressing gown on and turning pc on, sitting around like that til midday.

I'm gonna be fecked when we're told to come back to the office.

Terrible habits forming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I haven’t ironed a shirt for about 10 years, In fact I haven’t ironed anything for years. Shirts get dropped to the dry cleaners for pressing every now and then (I’ve lots of shirts and don’t wear a shirt very often) and nothing else actually needs to be ironed.

Doesn't your mother do your washing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Lockheed

im the opposite, I miss having opportunities to dress up. I wear shirts and slacks around the house sometimes just out of boredom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

italodisco wrote: »
    I've got into a terrible habit of getting up, putting dressing gown on and turning pc on, sitting around like that til midday.

Terrible habits forming

I'm the same, not getting showered and dressed until later in the day, and getting dressed is now wearing slobby about-the-house clothes.

Getting dressed properly, jewellery etc. seems like a huge effort to me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Can’t remember last time I ironed a shirt. Every 2 weeks or so drop to cleaners and collect washed and ironed. :)
    Went to get a shirt last week and they were all in a ball waiting to go to the cleaners when it opened.

I've been existing like Waynetta Slob because of working from home.

I'm getting my hair done tomorrow and I hope that motivates me to make more of an effort.

Ah you will. One thing I'm really thankful for now is that since the lockdown (and reopening of salons etc) I'm finding I have more time to get a bit of pampering done so getting bimonthly facials and found a nail bar that takes last minute bookings. I've always wanted to do this but time/ money have always been a factor. Money stopped being a factor a while ago but just had no time, and with the new global situation it's really helping me look after myself and unwind.

I actually don't mind it at all, I find it kind of therapeutic. I just don't have any time to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s not exactly splitting rocks?

In all fairness if you don’t wear a shirt too often I can understand why you’d only have a trip to the dry cleaners every so often, but for people who wear a shirt and tie every day - ironing the shirt and pressing the tie and pants the night before takes about half an hour maximum, it’s hardly wasting ones life, just feels better too after a shower to step into fresh clothes in the morning.

I didn’t have to make an appearance much in the office anyway before all this so it made no odds to me, I’d still get dressed for the day as normal while I’m working at home.

italodisco wrote: »

Terrible habits forming

Try and develop a routine. I try (a lot of the time unsuccessfully) to get up with the alarm, get breakfast for everyone, then do a bit of yoga- just 15 minutes or so, nothing major. Then I make a coffee and drink it in the back garden listening to the birds. Whenever I manage that I'm set up for the day, get a huge amount done. Last week was a write off and I was running to stand still the whole week. I'll do better this week :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'd hate to go back to a job where I have to wear a shirt and pants. Haven't had a job like that in 4 years. Prior to that it was the Garda shirt, and shur they were feckin horrible. Clip on tie thankfully. Still horrible. But even before that, having to wear a shirt and pants into work in a call centre used to kill me. Completely pointless and unnecessary. Even most jobs where you've to wear a shirt, it's pointless imo and to me gives off a sense of 'holier than thou' in the workplace.

Comfortable casual clothes are where it's at. You can still looked dressed up without looking so formal. And then when I used to go out, wearing a shirt wasn't a big deal because I was so used to wearing them. Took the fun out of it.

Anyway, I've replaced the 15 odd shirts I used to have with about 70 Qwertee's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Me neither and working from home for the foreseeable future as I’m high risk medically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Subacio

One day I put on a pair of jeans and a jumper to go out and the wife said to me "oooh, look at you getting all dressed up."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I learned something during Lockdown

If I wash a Shirt by itself and put it in the tumble dryer by itself, it comes out without creases aka ironed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

If I wash a Shirt by itself and put it in the tumble dryer by itself, it comes out without creases aka ironed.

You're the sole cause of global warming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Tumble drying avoids ironing the majority of things but shirts need ironing

You're the sole cause of global warming.

tenor.gif

Gael23 wrote: »
    Tumble drying avoids ironing the majority of things but shirts need ironing

Nope. Mine came out crease free

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I haven’t worn trousers since the first week in March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I haven’t worn trousers since the first week in March
    And they say romance is dead

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

I hate wearing stuff that is not ironed. Even with lockdown I still iron my t-shirts, hoodies, shorts and give the tracksuit a quick go over (depending on the material)

One things my mates think is weird is that I iron my bedsheets and pillowcases but again, I hate getting into a bed where the bed clothes haven't been ironed.

I would not let my previous gf's do the iron and I would happily iron their stuff (they were and will admit, that they were awful at ironing and took ages). My current gf has the same mentality about ironing and enjoys doing it too. She is really good at it so we split it. The biggest obstacle is a good iron and ironing board, not the cheap **** ones. You can fly through it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭recyclops

i used to love a big bundle of clothes to iron and watching the footie on a sunday, havent done that in months :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

its great.

think ive worn shorts every day since mid march.

I'm pretty much the same, the only time I've worn long trousers was when I was spraying weedkiller.
    On the foot front it's been flip flops and sandals most of the time, my toenails have never looked so good from all the fresh air and sun.

• Advertisement

recyclops wrote: »
    i used to love a big bundle of clothes to iron and watching the footie on a sunday, havent done that in months :(

Do you want to come over to my house? You can watch whatever you want. I hate ironing with a vengeance, though apart from the last few months I always iron shirts and trousers before wearing them.

PHG wrote: »
    I hate wearing stuff that is not ironed. Even with lockdown I still iron my t-shirts, hoodies, shorts and give the tracksuit a quick go over (depending on the material)

One things my mates think is weird is that I iron my bedsheets and pillowcases but again, I hate getting into a bed where the bed clothes haven't been ironed.

I would not let my previous gf's do the iron and I would happily iron their stuff (they were and will admit, that they were awful at ironing and took ages). My current gf has the same mentality about ironing and enjoys doing it too. She is really good at it so we split it. The biggest obstacle is a good iron and ironing board, not the cheap **** ones. You can fly through it then.

It's definitely worth shelling out on a decent iron, makes the job a lot easier.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Nope. Mine came out crease free

You think they are crinkle free but people know....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I haven't ironed anything since the 90s. What's the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

And I think I own two irons...

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Doesn't your mother do your washing?

Sometimes.
    It’s not exactly splitting rocks?

In all fairness if you don’t wear a shirt too often I can understand why you’d only have a trip to the dry cleaners every so often, but for people who wear a shirt and tie every day - ironing the shirt and pressing the tie and pants the night before takes about half an hour maximum, it’s hardly wasting ones life, just feels better too after a shower to step into fresh clothes in the morning.

I didn’t have to make an appearance much in the office anyway before all this so it made no odds to me, I’d still get dressed for the day as normal while I’m working at home.

I never pressed a tie in my life, not even on my wedding day. Never know it was a thing. A suit gets pressed in the cleaners and I other than that I only have jeans and chinos neither of which need ironing imo.

To be honest even if I was wearing a shirt everyday I'd still bring them to be ironed, its only 3 shirts a week if you get two days out of each as I would well worth it not to have to iron.

Someone visiting the house a while back looked for the iron and we had one still in its plastic, don't even remember buying it (I doubt it was me) and never used it.

As for working at home I wear t-shirts/polo's similar to I would in the office but usually a pair of football shorts or beach shorts and slippers otherwise. Covers me for zoom calls as you can't see below my waist and absolutely no need to be dressing up at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Used to dread 9pm a Sunday night when it was time to iron 5 shirts for the week. Gave me the "Glenroe" type of feeling that the weekend was done.

Tis great now sitting here typing in shorts and a hoody, 0 fcks given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

To be honest even if I was wearing a shirt everyday I'd still bring them to be ironed, its only 3 shirts a week if you get two days out of each as I would well worth it not to have to iron.

Wait, so you combine not washing yourself every day with wearing shirts multiple days before washing them?

I'd say work colleagues that worked nearby are thankful for working from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

It's not that warm.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Just jocks most days :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement