Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile WiFi device query.

Options
  • 12-07-2020 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I’ve PAYG Vodafone with 20gb data that I’m not really using.

I want to access this data, via an Android tv box, so that I can stream a bit of tv and movies while camping (basic 12v tv in the van). As the tv is very basic... I’m trying to get the ‘tv box’ online, so that we can watch that while away in the van.

Is it just a simple case of buying (from eBay UK) a ‘4g’ WiFi hotspot device, like the HUAWEI mifi 218 ones? To put my sim into?

I tried it with an older three uk HUAWEI 5530 ‘3g’ device (cost 12euro) but got nowhere... and it was unlocked.

Or is it a it more convoluted...

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Hooked wrote: »
    Hi all

I’ve PAYG Vodafone with 20gb data that I’m not really using.

I want to access this data, via an Android tv box, so that I can stream a bit of tv and movies while camping (basic 12v tv in the van). As the tv is very basic... I’m trying to get the ‘tv box’ online, so that we can watch that while away in the van.

Is it just a simple case of buying (from eBay UK) a ‘4g’ WiFi hotspot device, like the HUAWEI ones? To put my sim into?

I tried it with an older ‘3g’ device (cost 12euro) but got nowhere...

Or is it a it more convoluted...

Thanks in advance.

Just hotspot from your phone and connect your android box to that Network then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Hooked

L'prof wrote: »
    Just hotspot from your phone and connect your android device to that Network then

Thanks for the quick reply...

I tried this but the hotspot wasn’t ‘found’ by the android tv box... it’s a T95Q... so I assumed it was software compatibility.

Maybe my phone is damaged as the box was picking up the cheaper 3G HUAWEI 5530 device - but not streaming

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I can’t think of any reason it wouldn’t work as long as the phone is near the box. You could try connecting another device to the hotspot maybe? The android box connects to your main WiFi at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Is it PAYG broadband or PAYG phone data?

Have you checked the APN?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Hooked

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Is it PAYG broadband or PAYG phone data?

Have you checked the APN?

PAYG phone data. I’ll read up on the APN settings. Thank you. Total newbie...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

If it's an iPhone then hotspot might not work if there's no credit to consume via a tethering APN.

On android phones and modems it needs to be set to:

live.vodafone.com

Advertisement