Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new computer

Options
  • 12-07-2020 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi Folks

I wondering if I could have some help please re buying a new computer. So heres some data that might be helpful to know:
    -Im in my early sixties
    - the desk top that i have is oooooold..windows 7
    - Iv done a few courses in the last 15 years -essays, online research etc
    - i am using computer more for my work since lockdown - video calls, more emails etc.....I have a laptop that I use for Zoom
    - i am hoping to start an ECDL course in next few weeks
    - I have continuing interest in more study - possibly with greater online engagement because of covid

I would very much like to/feel I need to buy a new desktop for greater security, and faster speed.

I would be so grateful for suggestions as to what computer would suit for me.e.g.brand, make etc. I am not techy so the idea of going into a computer store does not appeal to me as I dont feel I have any idea where to start....Thank you very much...and if any more info is needed to
    make suggestion please do come back to me.
    Many Thanks
    Sacreature:):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

The cheapest option is to buy the parts and assemble it, but you'd probably need help with that.
    If you're willing to give this a shot, I suggest you go over to the Building & Upgrading forum and post a message there. Please check the template, as they want to know what kind of budget you have in mind, etc. There's even a question about your location, in case you need help with the assembly.

If building is not for you, your next best option is buying a pre-built system. There are plenty of great choices available, but they will cost slightly more than the price of the components. Again, there are questions here: What is your budget? Do you have a monitor? How about mouse and keyboard?

The more details you provide, the easier would be to give you good advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Hi Folks

I wondering if I could have some help please re buying a new computer. So heres some data that might be helpful to know:
    -Im in my early sixties
    - i am using computer more for my work since lockdown - video calls, more emails etc.....I have a laptop that I use for Zoom
    - I have continuing interest in more study - possibly with greater online engagement because of covid

I would very much like to/feel I need to buy a new desktop for greater security, and faster speed.

I would be so grateful for suggestions as to what computer would suit for me.e.g.brand, make etc. I am not techy so the idea of going into a computer store does not appeal to me as I dont feel I have any idea where to start....Thank you very much...and if any more info is needed to
    Many Thanks

Any idea what make/model you currently have?

Also, yes, what is your budget? Would you consider a laptop? What do you dislike or like about your current machine? Will you be studying outside the home (pandemic permitting!)? Do you use / prefer more than one monitor (or prefer one?) And what size is it and do you need to buy one as part of the budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Hi Folks

-Im in my early sixties

Many Thanks

Could you post the make and model of your current machine? Just so that we can see what you have there. If you're just a basic PC user then a couple of easy upgrades might save you a nice wad of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭techyjon

I recently purchased a Chromebook for €279 and I'm more than happy with it! The Acer 315 model I bought direct has a 15.6" Full HD display and an AMD 6 processor. It's perfect for playing Football Manager via Gooogle Stadia, streaming, and handles web browsing comfortably.

Microsoft Office applications are all supported so there wouldn't be a problem completing ECDL course.

As an I.T professional the past 15 years I was a bit apprehensive about going for a low spec machine but it has turned out to be a steal.

Advertisement