Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish Presidential election

Options

Comments

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Gay people have full civic and legal rights in Poland.

They do have an issue with attempts to introduce transgenderism into school courses.

Rather a different thing. Anyway, vox populi, and so on :)

Would you say the Nazi regimes treatment of minorities was "vox populi and so on :)". They have an atrocious record on lgbt rights. You just seem to view it as something to be celebrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Cordell wrote: »
    No, they don't, they can't marry, that will be a civic right they don't have.
    Vox populi when used to refuse rights for a minority with no cost whatsoever for the majority is not democracy anymore, it's the tyranny of majority.

The Irish people have decided to change the definition of marriage to include same-sex people.

If another country decides to not do this, I don't see any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Devastating for Polish LGBT people

Not many over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Not everyone agrees that gay marriage is a "right."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Seamai wrote: »
    Well they don't have the right to marry for a start. I've been there many times as my partner is part Polish (but never lived there) and attitudes towards towards the LGBT community are still back in the dark ages for many Poles

Duda's campaign was on the platform of banishing "LGBT propaganda" i.e. any form of "promotion" including education or anti-bullying workshops in schools. Wondering what happens to Pride or other events now, they were already under assault from nationalists. As in, assaulted physically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Devastating for Polish LGBT people
    Yes, the majority of Polish people appears to have an issue with LGBT.

Lgbt free zones, increases in attacks against lgbt groups.. Pretty reminiscent of other regimes but you're just gonna play it down.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200711-lgbt-rights-at-heart-of-poland-presidential-election-fight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Cordell

That's cool, so they won't marry a gay person, and that is their right.
    Denying something to someone else, something that doesn't affect you in any way, well, that shouldn't be a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Gay people have full civic and legal rights in Poland.

They do have an issue with attempts to introduce transgenderism into school courses.

Rather a different thing. Anyway, vox populi, and so on :)
    Complete and utter BS.

LGBT people are regularly targeted in Poland.
    It is not hard to find tonnes of examples of assaults, graffiti, poster campaigns etc.
    Massive areas of the country declared as LGBT free zones

Some of his comments on gay people have been horrendous, this victory will likely make life for LGBT people in Poland even more difficult.

And people ask why pride exists.....what about straight pride eh right?!? Ffs

The one saving grace I can see is the younger age demographics were not voting for him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

He also wants to make sure gay people are never allowed to adopt

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    The Irish people have decided to change the definition of marriage to include same-sex people.

If another country decides to not do this, I don't see any problem.

That's a totally different situation.
    The Irish Constitution prevented gay marriage as a side effect of being too comprehensive, but that was not the intent, no one was thinking about same sex marriage when it was written.
    Putting something in it on purpose to deny some citizens some rights is something totally different, and proper democracy should prevent this.

Lgbt free zones, increases in attacks against lgbt groups.. Pretty reminiscent of other regimes but you're just gonna play it down.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200711-lgbt-rights-at-heart-of-poland-presidential-election-fight

These only become "rights" (which didn't even exist 30 years ago) if population gets to vote on them. Which they don't in lots of place.

He also wants to make sure gay people are never allowed to adopt

Again, another spurious recently invented "right."

These only become "rights" (which didn't even exist 30 years ago) if population gets to vote on them. Which they don't in lots of place.
    Population get to vote on them?!
    You don't need a national vote to give people rights. Ireland had to have a vote the vast majority of other countries don't have to.
    E.g. when it came to gay marriage in Australia they held a totally non necessary postal vote which wasnt legally binding.

You also should not have the majority deciding if a minority can or cannot have equal rights imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Again, another spurious recently invented "right."
    But yet people who are part of a paedo protecting organisation somehow automatically get that right? That's messed up

What I'm referring to is people getting attacked for being lgbt... They're being violently targeted in Poland... Duda is creating conspiracies about LGBT people to make them targets... So I'd say contrasts with totalitarian regimes is pretty apt.

Here's another one from earlier in the year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN21X2ZA

Maybe ask yourself why you care so much?
    How exactly does a same sex couple having the ability to marry effect you? Maybe you would be happier moving to Poland?

For the record I got married to my husband last year. We should be allowed the same entitlements any other couple has. Civil partnerships have a huge number of differences to full marriage equality. There has been a huge shift in Irish attitudes to LGBT people for a country where the Catholic Church still have such a big hold it is extremely heartening to see, hopefully Poland will have the same change.

The fact that duda won by such a small majority against a candidate who entered the race late, when his party literally controls the media is encouraging

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Polish people have had Duda for 5 years already, and a slight majority choose him again.
    This is how democracy works.

Many Polish families have been lifted out of poverty as a result of the government's policies, and, for the first time since the end of communism in 1989, feel there is a party that cares about their needs.
    This is especially true in villages and small towns, where President Duda won an absolute majority of votes in the first round of the election two weeks ago.

biko wrote: »
    The Polish people have had Duda for 5 years already, and a slight majority choose him again.
    This is how democracy works.
    Yes, this is how it works and how it should work up until that point.
    But he needs to be the president of all people, including those who didn't vote for him, including lgbt people, and he should fight for all of them equally. This is how democracy should work. He is not just an elected representative for a small constituency, he's the president of the whole country.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

Hitler also took Germany from being an economic basket case to a powerhouse. Doesn't mean he was laudable or should be defended. Brutalising minority groups simply because they're different and are hated shouldn't be something any reasonable person excuses or defends.

Weird how the same people who scream and shout about predominantly Muslim countries' treatment of LGBT people are all too happy to defend the same when it's Europeans doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Weird how the same people who scream and shout about predominantly Muslim countries' treatment of LGBT people are all too happy to defend the same when it's Europeans doing it.

I know right

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

do politicians often bring in laws which the people who voted them in find distasteful?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Hitler also took Germany from being an economic basket case to a powerhouse. Doesn't mean he was laudable or should be defended. Brutalising minority groups simply because they're different and are hated shouldn't be something any reasonable person excuses or defends.

not being able to adopt a kid or marry is nowhere near being brutally beaten or thrown off buildings, but yes it would be better if the polish people were more inclusive of GLB people.

do politicians often bring in laws which the people who voted them in find distasteful?

In principle, it doesn't matter what you think about the laws, or it only matters when it's time to vote again. This is how representative democracy works, you delegate the law making (among other things) to your elected representative and trust them to act in your best interest, even if it's not immediately apparent that they do so.
    Again, that's in principle :)

not being able to adopt a kid or marry is nowhere near being brutally beaten or thrown off buildings, but yes it would be better if the polish people were more inclusive of GLB people.

Ah good man.... trying to backtrack when others celebrate the persecution

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭AndyTheDude

So you're saying that treatment of homosexual people is the same in Poland as in Muslim countries? You may want to post a few links with homosexuals being beheaded or pushed from rooftops in Poland then. Talk about hysteria... :rolleyes:

But not the T right? Feck them...do what you like to them.

Be happy your not being fecked off buildings LGBT people....there are plenty of recent examples of polish people being badly beaten for being LGBT.

Labelling sex educators as paedophiles and making sure that students don't have a sex education that includes orientation for fear of it making children gay. Increased attacks on gay people, lgbt free zones... Christ, you'll label so much as no biggy... You do realise the Nazis in their early days had very small changes in relation to the rights of Jewish people? Then as time went on, they started to lose their jobs. Had their businesses attacked etc.

So you're saying that treatment of homosexual people is the same in Poland as in Muslim countries? You may want to post a few links with homosexuals being beheaded or pushed from rooftops in Poland then. Talk about hysteria... :rolleyes:

Thats not what was said at all.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

spurious wrote: »
    A Polish friend tonight described it as putting Poland back 40 years.

Yep. My Polish friends are equally devastated.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement