Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish Presidential election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

So you're saying that treatment of homosexual people is the same in Poland as in Muslim countries? You may want to post a few links with homosexuals being beheaded or pushed from rooftops in Poland then. Talk about hysteria... :rolleyes:

My point is simply that the same people get very angry about those countries when the subject of LGBT people comes up but when it's European countries, they're falling over themselves to defend it. The only hysteria is against minority groups, which some here are very quick to defend only in certain instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭AndyTheDude

Thats not what was said at all.

Actually it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

My point is simply that the same people get very angry about those countries when the subject of LGBT people comes up but when it's European countries, they're falling over themselves to defend it. The only hysteria is against minority groups, which some here are very quick to defend only in certain instances.
    Tbh, I don't recall any of the LGBT defenders here have even objected to the policies of Iran or Saudi Arabia.
    It has been brought up many times by conservatives though, you're right., which may seem strange but isn't at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I visited Auschwitz a few years ago and on the way back to the train station spotted small notices on most of the lamp posts with a pictogram of two men having sex and a red X through it posted by some right wing catholic family group, I found this sickening on it's own but that this was tolerated in Auschwitz of all places made it even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

So you're saying that treatment of homosexual people is the same in Poland as in Muslim countries? You may want to post a few links with homosexuals being beheaded or pushed from rooftops in Poland then. Talk about hysteria... :rolleyes:

Shinners sent a gay mayor to Gaza on a Hamas junket ffs!

And lefties who support "rights" like gay adoption have been noticeably silent about Cuba which had thousands of gay people in prison camps.

There is no societal benefit to two men adopting a child without any consideration given to the impact on the child.

Typical of the selfish subjectivity that has generated all of this.

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    Yep. My Polish friends are equally devastated.

Well, I am Polish and I'm not devastated at all, so go figure...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Well, I am Polish and I'm not devastated at all, so go figure...
    I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you are not an LGBT person? And living in Poland?
    I don't think that person said everyone was devastated....just their friends...are you and "Brian?" friends?

Does anyone have an opinion on Duda's EU policies?

biko wrote: »
    Tbh, no-one of the LGBT defenders here have even objected to the policies of Iran or Saudi Arabia.
    It has been brought up many times by conservatives though, you're right., which may seem strange to you but isn't at all.

I have plenty of opinions on the treatment of members of of the LGBT community in both of those countries and dozens more across the globe including many in Africa but we happen to be discussing Poland here, a country who like us is also a member of the EU and a country with whom we have developed a lot of close ties with over the last 20 years.

gmisk wrote: »
    I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you are not an LGBT person? And living in Poland?
    I don't think that person said everyone was devastated....just their friends

I am straight, yes. You may be surprised but I don't go around looking for a LGBT person to punch them in the face.

• Advertisement

I don't think that person said everyone was devastated....just their friends...are you and "Brian?" friends?

No, I am just showing that not everybody was devastated as some on here are trying to present.

I am straight, yes. You may be surprised but I do go around looking for a LGBT person to punch them in the face.

Not sure whether you're being serious or that's a typo.

No, I am just showing that not everybody was devastated as some on here are trying to present.

I think people are aware that not every polish person is upset. There are also many Polish people who will never feel at home again in Poland because of some pretty awful policies.

Seamai wrote: »
    Not sure whether you're being serious or that's a typo.

typo of course. corrected, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Ah good man.... trying to backtrack when others celebrate the persecution

Im not backtracking on anything. Nobody in this thread has celebrated the persecution of anybody.
    But not the T right? Feck them...do what you like to them.

Be happy your not being fecked off buildings LGBT people....there are plenty of recent examples of polish people being badly beaten for being LGBT.
    Ireland is a long way from tolerance of trans people, Poland is even further away, but Ill admit I would not want them following our corrupt path to 'tolerance'
    Labelling sex educators as paedophiles and making sure that students don't have a sex education that includes orientation for fear of it making children gay. Increased attacks on gay people, lgbt free zones...
    I haven't seen any evidence or anything about this , do you have anything (preferably in English) to back this up ? would have thought we'd have heard if there was something as extreme as 'lgbt free zones' in the EU.

Sex education and what should be / shouldn't be taught and at what age is a divisive topic so we'll leave that one out for now.

Possibly it didn't help when social activist Janina Ochojska pointed out that Trzaskowski would introduce the so-called LGBT Act across Poland if he was elected
    president.
    src

Im not backtracking on anything. Nobody in this thread has celebrated the persecution of anybody.

Ireland is a long way from tolerance of trans people, Poland is even further away, but Ill admit I would not want them following our corrupt path to 'tolerance'

I haven't seen any evidence or anything about this , do you have anything (preferably in English) to back this up ? would have thought we'd have heard if there was something as extreme as 'lgbt free zones' in the EU.

Sex education and what should be / shouldn't be taught and at what age is a divisive topic so we'll leave that one out for now.
    I linked to it only a few pages back but sure here's another article... Calling sex educators paedophiles is something you want to leave to the wayside? You don't think that's a questionable thing for a European government to be saying?

https://www.euronews.com/2020/01/23/these-photos-highlight-the-human-hurt-over-poland-s-lgbt-free-zones

I am straight, yes. You may be surprised but I don't go around looking for a LGBT person to punch them in the face.
    I didn't suggest you did....chill out.
    That poster just said there polish friends were upset by the result.

It is a bit of a tough subject for me....I was called a f@ggot by a couple of lads while walking home one night....then attacked and slashed in the face with a stanley knife. So homophobic attacks get my goat up so to speak, and Poland is seemingly pretty rife with them this result will imo increase the likelihood of a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Duda Keeps pardoning convicted pedophiles and murderers...even when teh courts recommend against it. He is bent as ****.

It was very close tho....poland is divided.

No doubt the actual pardoning and protection of actual paedophiles would be applauded by the ragtag bunch of far right frauds who gathered in front of the Dáil on Saturday under the fraudulent banner of "anti-paedophilia".

The far right don't do irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I linked to it only a few pages back but sure here's another article... Calling sex educators paedophiles is something you want to leave to the wayside? You don't think that's a questionable thing for a European government to be saying?

https://www.euronews.com/2020/01/23/these-photos-highlight-the-human-hurt-over-poland-s-lgbt-free-zones

jaysus thats a backward attitude to have. Poland still has a long way to go. Surprised I had never heard a thing about this mentioned before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

No doubt the actual pardoning and protection of actual paedophiles would be applauded by the ragtag bunch of far right frauds who gathered in front of the Dáil on Saturday under the fraudulent banner of "anti-paedophilia".

The far right don't do irony.
    You are probably right.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

jaysus thats a backward attitude to have. Poland still has a long way to go. Surprised I had never heard a thing about this mentioned before.
    I think he is their Trump.

Anybody who focusses on LGBT people being denied their rights in majority Muslim countries and then applauds Duda and his far right cabal in Poland, cares nothing for LGBT people.

They are using fake concern for LGBT people in particular circumstances, as a convenient cloak to advance far right anti-LGBT interests elsewhere.

The shameless cynicism of it is breathtaking.

You are probably right.:(

I am right. The so called "anti-paedophilia" con artists in front of the Dail on Saturday want to drag Ireland back to a time when actual paedophiles were protected by the Catholic Church. Sure look at who was leading it - Justin Barrett of the insane bunch of theocratic loonies Youth Defence - who fought bitterly against every piece of progressive legislation and change in Ireland and fought against the exposing of historic sex crimes and barbaric treatment of vulnerable people at the hands of the Catholic church and the state.

You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

I think people are aware that not every polish person is upset. There are also many Polish people who will never feel at home again in Poland because of some pretty awful policies.

And equally, there are Poles who have been in Ireland for a significant period of time, but are now uprooting back to Poland with their young families.

They prefer their children to be brought up in a society with more traditional values than they are being exposed to here.

It's a country with a generally conservative mindset, as is their right. Proud people whose misfortune is to be 'God's Playground' historically, stuck between two wrong-uns.

Unbelievable suffering and oppression in the 20th century, and although things are very visibly improving on the surface, everyday life is really a grind for a lot of people.

The Catholic church is still a heavy presence.

Considering the everyday priorities of the vast majority of the Polish people, a more informed perspective should see this as a terrific result for the extreme minority that is the LGBT community in Poland.

And equally, there are Poles who have been in Ireland for a significant period of time, but are now uprooting back to Poland with their young families.

They prefer their children to be brought up in a society with more traditional values than they are being exposed to here.

It's a country with a generally conservative mindset, as is their right. Proud people whose misfortune is to be 'God's Playground' historically, stuck between two wrong-uns.

Unbelievable suffering and oppression in the 20th century, and although things are very visibly improving on the surface, everyday life is really a grind for a lot of people.

The Catholic church is still a heavy presence.

Considering the everyday priorities of the vast majority of the Polish people, a more informed perspective should see this as a terrific result for the extreme minority that is the LGBT community in Poland.
    "A more informed perspective"......rrrrright.
    Such as?

I think calling LGBT an extreme majority is entirely disingenuous. Whether you like it or not there are a significant amount of people that fall under that umbrella.

Being LGBT constitutes being "an extreme minority" now, apparently?!

And LGBT people should celebrate an anti-LGBT bigot winning?!

Bloody hell.

The Goebbels-like takes you get on here, eh?!

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Not everyone agrees that gay marriage is a "right."

Do you think marriage between a man and a woman should be a right under the law?

So you're saying there's such a thing as "an acceptable level of anti-LGBT discrimination and bigotry"?

As long as it's perpetrated by white people, no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Now I understand why EU wants Poland and Hungary to take loads of "refugees", cause they are more tolerant to lgbt policies.

Honestly, people on here never lived in poor country. There are many of other problems to be fixed other than rights to a very minority group. Leave those things to already developed countries and privileged people as they have not many other problems to think about.

Advertisement