Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best place to buy tools??

• 13-07-2020 12:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭

Whats peoples opinion on this , where will i get value for money . Better off goin to a shop or online?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Payton

Really depends on what tools your looking for? If its for work around the home, Lidl have some good power tools..drills, saws etc
    Otherwise shop online Screwfix or Amazon.

• Moderators Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Amazon can be a double edged sword though. Good tools can be got, and their prices can be competitive, but poor quality tools can also be got, and the cheaper price can be alluring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I like Amazon's SilverLine range. They're generally (though not always) in the budget/cheap price range, but the quality of any of the Silverline stuff I've had has been very good. So much so, that they have become my brand of choice to instinctively search for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

I like Amazon's SilverLine range. They're generally (though not always) in the budget/cheap price range, but the quality of any of the Silverline stuff I've had has been very good. So much so, that they have become my brand of choice to instinctively search for.

With a lifetime guarantee also for hand tools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Pretty sure they are not Amazons range, just sold there and many other places.
    Wouldn’t rate them though and I’m not alone.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339790

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Lidl offer some good well priced tools with 3 year warranties on some of them but would only be on offer every few months.
    I've seen builders going in to buy some of them so must be okay.
    Screwfix prices are good on a lot of items and click and collect of you are near a store or delivery for €5.
    Amazon imo would vary in both price and quality.
    Chadwicks would be another choice.
    B&Q, Woodies and Homebase big ranges but at bigger prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,474 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Amazon warehouse but wait for their sale, I've picked up a few Bosch professional tools for buttons and there new from what I can tell bar the seal broken on the box.

if you are buying tools in lidl, then you are not serious about tools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭CaptainCoPilot

I shop around for the big stuff, Caulfields I find competitive for a lot of stuff. Toolfix, Roynanes also good. McQuillans if I need something in a hurry.

My general rule is anything that I use a lot or could hurt me I spend the money on. Anything that I use seldom or is for a specific use I consider the cheaper alternatives. Example I have dewalt saws, Milwaukee drill and impact driver but a couple of Parkside/aldi/cheap things also (belt sander, electric plane, track saw etc).

I rarely buy second hand tools, and only if I'm certain of the source of them - ie not stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭cletus

Seve OB wrote: »

That's just not true

Haven't bought many but I've never had a problem with any of the tools I've previously bought in Lidl.
    They are good enough for most DIY jobs and with 3 year warranty so if you
    don't like it, bring it back for refund.
    Not many other sellers have a 3 year warranty like that.

Pretty sure they are not Amazons range, just sold there and many other places.
    Wouldn’t rate them though and I’m not alone.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339790

Sorry, I actually know they're not Amazon's own-brand, I just worded my post pretty badly.

What I was trying to say was that I buy Silverline stuff on Amazon. (I never really see it anywhere else). But I'm an idiot and made a mess of my wording of it.

Nonetheless, I do still like their stuff.

I rarely buy second hand tools, and only if I'm certain of the source of them - ie not stolen.

Delighted to see someone mentioning this. I can think of few other crimes that can so deeply affect a small business. I know a load of tradesmen who've had their vans done. A couple of them unfortunately just never recovered from it and went under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

https://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk

Bought my milwaukee angle grinder from these guys last year, great service and the best prices I could find anywhere.

Registered the warranty on milwaukee site so all above board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,075 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ok OP, this is not meant as a dig to you or people suggesting Amazon or elsewhere. I get that you want to get value for money and there is more ways to look at this than just price.

So, if there is a local provider, I would see if it is acceptable for you to buy with them. While you will probably find a better price when going online, the advantages of shopping local is that someone can recommend something with personal feedback, they can maybe give a good price on accessories or throw in some consumables like driver bits. If they think you might be a constant customer, they could give you a deal and be a useful resource when looking for further tools or equipment.
    Associated benefits of this are also keeping money in the local economy, helping businesses who probably struggled with Covid yada, yada, yada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Ok OP, this is not meant as a dig to you or people suggesting Amazon or elsewhere. I get that you want to get value for money and there is more ways to look at this than just price.

So, if there is a local provider, I would see if it is acceptable for you to buy with them. While you will probably find a better price when going online, the advantages of shopping local is that someone can recommend something with personal feedback, they can maybe give a good price on accessories or throw in some consumables like driver bits. If they think you might be a constant customer, they could give you a deal and be a useful resource when looking for further tools or equipment.
    Associated benefits of this are also keeping money in the local economy, helping businesses who probably struggled with Covid yada, yada, yada.

I completely agree that one should buy locally if you can, but unfortunately I find many of the well known Irish shops and in particular one that has been mentioned here, are complete rip off merchants. Whilst it's great to support local businesses, the economy, etc. I for one, am not going to pay an extra €200 for the same tool that I can buy on Amazon.

I think Irish companies need to get their asses in gear and A) start selling online and with prices shown (am sick of this "ring for best price" rubbish and B) realise that people will compare online prices and if they are not competitive, people will buy elsewhere.

I completely agree that one should buy locally if you can, but unfortunately I find many of the well known Irish shops and in particular one that has been mentioned here, are complete rip off merchants. Whilst it's great to support local businesses, the economy, etc. I for one, am not going to pay an extra €200 for the same tool that I can buy on Amazon.

I think Irish companies need to get their asses in gear and A) start selling online and with prices shown (am sick of this "ring for best price" rubbish and B) realise that people will compare online prices and if they are not competitive, people will buy elsewhere.

+1

When pricing my grinder, I tried several Irish retailers including many mentioned earlier and was astonished at some of the prices I was quoted, one retailer quoted me more than double the uk price and when I asked if there was any wiggle room on the price and that I'd like to do more business in future they hung up the phone on me.

I would have tried locally but milwaukee tools not available within 2 hours drive of my home.

However, I do buy all of my Stihl gardening equipment in Ireland, however, not in the county in which I live, because when pricing up a strimmer in 2012 I tried my local dealer and they quoted me €200 above the manufacturers price, €1200 instead of €1000, so I tried a company in the east above dublin and they quoted €200 under list price, i have done a lot of business with them since and only last week spent over €1000 with them for a hedge trimmer.

I must add that the Stihl tools here are still higher than uk prices but I'm willing to do business with a company who want to do business.

I will add that for convenience i did purchase a drill last year from my local builders merchant, it was almost double the price of buying in the UK and the comparable kit in England came with more accessories, but i needed it there and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Wouldn’t say that, I have had plenty of Lidl/Aldi tools over the years and they have served me well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Any views on this upcoming drill from Aldi. I'm looking for a drill that will drill holes in concrete/block walls to fit shelving etc. Would this Aldi one be powerful enough? Thanks.

https://www.aldi.ie/14-4v-li-ion-cordless-hammer-drill/p/703087378445700

Wouldn’t say that, I have had plenty of Lidl/Aldi tools over the years and they have served me well.

look they might be grand for a bit of light DIY but that's about it. hell you might even get a bit of heavy DIY but then you might be buying a new tool shortly after.
    if you want proper tools, you won't be buying there

• Advertisement

look they might be grand for a bit of light DIY but that's about it. hell you might even get a bit of heavy DIY but then you might be buying a new tool shortly after.

Would you recommend a cordless for drilling into concrete?

Grats wrote: »
    Would you recommend a cordless for drilling into concrete?

I've 2 makita hammer drills, one corded (maybe 20+ years old, no real idea as my Grandad gave it to me) and one cordless maybe 10 years old.
    my cordless has a hammer function and will do the job, but it will be slower and not as neat. i'll use the corded one every time for quicker, cleaner results.

now im sure cordless technology has moved on since my drill was made but my 20+ year old Makita has stood the test of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Former Great

I shop locally when i not getting ripped off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,075 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I shop locally when i not getting ripped off

Good. Well done. Spread the word.

I've 2 makita hammer drills, one corded (maybe 20+ years old, no real idea as my Grandad gave it to me) and one cordless maybe 10 years old.
    my cordless has a hammer function and will do the job, but it will be slower and not as neat. i'll use the corded one every time for quicker, cleaner results.

now im sure cordless technology has moved on since my drill was made but my 20+ year old Makita has stood the test of time.

Thank you very much.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

+1 for shopping local. Joe McKennas in Limerick have been very helpful, good advice and will point me at cheaper gear if it's for occasional use, and point out if accessories will be easily got.

Based on exactly what?

Tree wrote: »
    +1 for shopping local. Joe McKennas in Limerick have been very helpful, good advice and will point me at cheaper gear if it's for occasional use, and point out if accessories will be easily got.

You wouldn't need to be pointed at cheaper gear if their prices weren't such a rip off.

I picked a random power tool to compare prices and they came out 90% more expensive than Screwfix.

€462
    https://www.joemckenna.ie/dewalt-circular-saw-54v-no-batteries-charger

€242
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/dewalt-dcs575n-xj-190mm-54v-li-ion-xr-flexvolt-brushless-cordless-circular-saw-bare/1887p

The difference is so dramatic I had to double check they were actually the same tool. I think they are.

I don't know who is coining it in here, the retailer or distributor, but it seems Treasure Ireland is still a thing.

The website is also slow, badly organised and product pages lack detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Based on exactly what?

No offence but you're clearly not a professional who relies on this type of equipment for work.

Cheaper stuff just doesn't cut it when the going gets tough on a job and more often than not, fails or breaks.

We only buy expensive top quality power tools and they get a lot of abuse day-in day-out and they just keep going.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    You wouldn't need to be pointed at cheaper gear if their prices weren't such a rip off.

I picked a random power tool to compare prices and they came out 90% more expensive than Screwfix.

€462
    https://www.joemckenna.ie/dewalt-circular-saw-54v-no-batteries-charger

€242
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/dewalt-dcs575n-xj-190mm-54v-li-ion-xr-flexvolt-brushless-cordless-circular-saw-bare/1887p

The difference is so dramatic I had to double check they were actually the same tool. I think they are.

I don't know who is coining it in here, the retailer or distributor, but it seems Treasure Ireland is still a thing.

The website is also slow, badly organised and product pages lack detail.

That's shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The likes of Woodies can be worth a browse at time, I picked up a corded Bosch Professional hammer drill on special in there for €55 a few years back and it's chewed threw anything I've thrown at it (we live in an 100+ year old mass poured concrete house so even putting up a simple set of shelves will usually involve drilling into concrete). Cordless are handy but they tend to have less grunt and the battery will eventually fail: a good corded power tool should last a DIYer 20 years.

Literally the only fault I'd have with it was that it came in a cardboard box instead of a nice carry case but that was easily rectified with a root around the attic for an old case that had been knocking around for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

No offence but you're clearly not a professional who relies on this type of equipment for work.

Cheaper stuff just doesn't cut it when the going gets tough on a job and more often than not, fails or breaks.

We only buy expensive top quality power tools and they get a lot of abuse day-in day-out and they just keep going.

You do realize you're on a DIY forum and not the professional forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

garv123 wrote: »

that doesnt change the fact that lidl /aldi/ bnq/woodies/etc own brand stuff is very poor quality and only worth buying if you do the most basic of tasks as a diyer.
    you are ok to buy them but dont think that they are anything else. some of those tools are only designed to have a total life span in minutes or very low no of hours.

Also lack of choice is often an issue, my local topline affiliate has 1 battery drill and 1 angle grinder in store and nothing else!

The discussion had moved to the quality of power tools from discount stores compared to professional more expensive gear.

• Advertisement

I’m not a professional. Just an average DIY’er.
    But I prefer to buy good quality tools. I’ve been down the road of buying cheap before, plenty of times. It’s just not worth it in my opinion.
    Festool all the way from now on :D

Festool all the way from now on :D
    I fear that Festool is just a gateway drug into Mafell. :pac:

Advertisement