Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap 4g SIM only with tethering

Options
  • 13-07-2020 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I used to be with Vodafone Pay-as-you-go but I want to switch providers now that Spotify on Vodafone is discontinued.

Haven't compared offers in a while. I am looking for a provider that has decent 4g speeds and allows tethering (want to use my phone as a hot spot for my tablet from time to time and possibly as a backup connection in case broadband fails.

I don't care too much if it is a bill-pay or a pay-as-you-go offer. Want to spend a maximum of 20€ per month and need at least 4GB of data. Don't care about call or text packages.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Gomo would be the obvious one, don't see how it can be beat tbh, everyone I know has switched anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 g0nzo

What download speeds do you get with GoMo? I read somewhere that the connection is slow. Do they explicitly allow tethering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

What about 48? 4G, their EUR 10 plan includes 20 GB of data. Supports tethering.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

g0nzo wrote: »
    What download speeds do you get with GoMo? I read somewhere that the connection is slow. Do they explicitly allow tethering?
    Better than 3 ever was anyway in Dublin and rural Clare, 720p YouTube not a bother on it, torrents come down at a couple of MB, its fast. 80gb limit that kicks in the minute you hit it.

Edit: they don't explicitly allow tethering but there's nothing they can do about it either, I made them my parents ISP with a Gomo SIM in a 4g router, it's working perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

If you don't need the 2FA SMS texts then Virgin's your man.
    Current offer is €5 a month for 5 months on a 30 day contract.
    That's unlimited data (totally unlimited), texts and calls.
    Tethering no probs, I was using it to watch TV when I had no internet.
    It goes up to €25 after the 5 months but they always have another offer or you can just cancel (30 day notice) and move to another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Thargor wrote: »
    Better than 3 ever was anyway in Dublin and rural Clare, 720p YouTube not a bother on it, torrents come down at a couple of MB, its fast. 80gb limit that kicks in the minute you hit it.

Edit: they don't explicitly allow tethering but there's nothing they can do about it either, I made them my parents ISP with a Gomo SIM in a 4g router, it's working perfectly.

I've two Gomo SIMS, one in a router for internet access for the house & another in my phone that's also serving as my work VPN connection.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    If you don't need the 2FA SMS texts then Virgin's your man.

What does that mean? You can't receive verification SMS on VM?

I tried GoMo but there is no indoor 4g signal where I live (Dublin 18) and the outdoor 4g is fairly slow.

Also ordered a 48 SIM to try the free 1GB but there's an issue with activating the SIM card right now so can't test the speed on the Three network.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

g0nzo wrote: »
    What does that mean? You can't receive verification SMS on VM?

Correct.
    Virgin know all about it and have been trying to fix it for over 9 months now without success.
    It took me weeks of shop visits, calls and chat messages to eventually move.
    The Virgin sim couldn't receive a verification text from new provider to prove I was owner of the number and it was a valid number, nightmare.

With 48 now and everything works perfectly, including (so far) great online customer service.

Cheers
    Will stay clear of VM then even though the offer is ridiculously cheap.

48 has finally enabled my SIM and has much faster download speeds here where I live compared to GoMo. 20GB is plenty for me on mobile.

Currently porting my number. Thanks everyone.

Advertisement