Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting on a Hardtail vs Hybrid?

Options
  • 13-07-2020 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

I'm hoping to start commuting by bike (6km) when the office opens up again next month. I have a handrail mountain bike (Carrera Kraken) on pre-order on its due in this week.

I went for handrail as I would like the option to do some local MTB trails. You can lock out the front fork so I thought it might be somewhat suitable for commuting on city roads too. Realistically I'll only be going off-tarmac once a month, so I'm having second thoughts now. Am I giving myself much hardship on the daily cycle just to accommodate a month trail spin?

The hybrid I'm eyeing up now is the Carrera Subway 2. No suspension, should be much more efficient on urban streets. Designed for a more comfortable commute.

Anybody commuting on a handrail on tarmac? Better to get a hybrid and rent MTB when needed? Or save up for both...!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

A hardtail over 6km won't make your life hard, it's a short distance so you won't be disadvantaged at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Yep, 6km is not far at all.

Love extending my commute home and getting in a few quick trails in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you've a lockout on it too, that'll make life a little easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

The only possible issue I would see is that you would need to give it a good clean between each run on the trails and your next commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭TwoWheeledTim

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Love extending my commute home and getting in a few quick trails in.

So you daily commute by MTB? Do you keep the knobbly tyres on for the commute?

• Advertisement

El Tarangu wrote: »
    The only possible issue I would see is that you would need to give it a good clean between each run on the trails and your next commute.

I had a hardtail before and always gave it a good clean after each day out, quite enjoy cleaning a mucky bike!
    (Sold it because I moved to an apartment with no cleaning or storage options. Have space and storage now)

No real trail options near the commute route btw, some park paths but nothing too interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

So you daily commute by MTB? Do you keep the knobbly tyres on for the commute?

Yep, I was doing 10km each way before lockdown. I've Ikon/Ardent Race on though so they're fairly fast running on the road.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The hassle of changing tyres regularly wouldn't be worth it, particularly over 6km, I rode knobbly tires over 17km each way without a huge amount of bother for nearly a year, the suspension would be a far bigger factor. I would just pump them to max for road riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Knobbly tyres are way worse than suspension.
    Get a cheap pair of wheels and put slicks on for the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭f1000

I ride a hardtail with Panaracer RiBMo tyres. The tyres have outlasted 2 bikes and are still in great condition after 10 years of use. I do find that the MTB geometry is a bit more strenuous than the single speed racing bike that I also use too. I like riding both bikes but save the MTB for fair weather days

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Knobbly tyres are way worse than suspension.
    Get a cheap pair of wheels and put slicks on for the commute.

Over 17km on rolling terrain, my experience would be different than yours. Pumped to max, with lights and traffic restrictions, difference between it and my road bike were not massive, maybe 5 minutes on a typical commute, often alot less.

Would anyone commuting on a hardtail recommend mudguards with good coverage? Most I've seen for suspension forks have looked very short.

Advertisement