Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting cabin to council

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

How does it affect you?. Can you quote the regulation banning a cabin or shed in a back garden?

For residential purposes? Sure. Fire brigade access.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

zac8 wrote: »
    They’re certainly the type of people who don’t show any consideration for neighbours. But I wouldn’t be afraid of them either.

I’ve been in the cabin. He even thanked me for not reporting it. But then repays me by acting the tool.

Just fir your own info, if you did report it, he’d never know you did. You’re entitled to your own privacy in the matter. If he asked, he’d be told ‘a complaint was recieved’, not ‘zac8 made a complaint’.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My neighbours - renting - built a shack at the end of their garden - moved some easter european into it. He set up living in it and gradually moved a fridge into it - with electric cable running out the kitchen window along the garden and into it, and alsothen put a bloody cooker with Kalor gas where I would watch him and wonder how long it would be before the electricity BBQ’d him or before he froze to death ir burnt the place down around his shoulders. As it turns out during a storm the whole f’ing thing blew apart like the Wizzard of Oz house and I ended up with half the stanty roof blowing up two storeys against my back bedroom windows while the rest smashed up against the back walls of my house and kitchen floor to cealing windows in the storm. Suffice to say my casual acceptance of men living in the end of their garden changed after that.

Person I know has a kicked out b/f squatting in the ‘utility and office’ room at the end of
    the garden next door. Light and noise bleed, constant parties, drugs & zonked out druggies hanging around - not a proper situation ( ie neither legally living not under PTRB ) and no-one has the money to deal with it via solicitors. They don’t feel relaxed in their garden and the whole sutuation is volatile.

People living in sheds /shomeras at ends of gardens is not normal and leads to problems. I’d report it quietly and let the council deal with it and investigate. Once it escalates it is too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

They’re certainly the type of people who don’t show any consideration for neighbours. But I wouldn’t be afraid of them either.

I’ve been in the cabin. He even thanked me for not reporting it. But then repays me by acting the tool.

First and foremost, the OP is entitled to have his question answered fairly and squarely. Seems to be a thing in numerous fora now, A&P, Legal Discussions, the usual suspects coming in and twisting the OP's thread, interrogating the OP and then searching all of their posts for contradictions etc. Dirty stuff.
    While the people residing in the cabin may be lovely people, the OP feels not. Being neighbours is a two way thing. The cabin dwellers may not be showing mutual respect.
    Whether a landlord, tenant, aggressor or victim, a request is being made about a process. People should leave their emotions out of it. This isn't Twitter or Facebook. Boards is going downhill with all these millennials expressing their opinions even when not asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,057 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Would be good to hear full story on the cabin, and what exactly the issue is. Spill the beanz

• Advertisement

• zac8 wrote: »

When you say "acting the tool", do you mean the loud parties?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Thanks for the helpful posts. I still haven’t got an answer to my original question. What happens if they just remove the bed prior to inspection and say its a home office and then put the bed back in? Seems like an obvious stunt to pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Thanks for the helpful posts. I still haven’t got an answer to my original question. What happens if they just remove the bed prior to inspection and say its a home office and then put the bed back in? Seems like an obvious stunt to pull.

Yep that’s very likely. Alternatively if they visited without warning the residents can also claim the bed is simply for lying on to read or used as a recliner etc. In fact I would be surprised if the council didn’t give them the option to just remove the bed even if they didn’t believe them.

Also is there any reason to even believe removing the cabin would solve the noise problem?

Have you checked any of the other conditions for planning exemption? Size or height of the cabin, area of garden remaining? There are smartphone apps which can measure pretty effectively using your camera to give you an idea; or you can just use your own garden for reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Would they be told in advance of an inspection?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Would they be told in advance of an inspection?

Once they get a letter confirming a complaint was received the owner has 4 weeks to arrange an inspection with the council.

They arrange a day and time that suits both parties.

When the Plan Enf Officer goes out they can only judge on what they see. If the beds are removed and the cabin filled with junk then they will deem it a shed.

If there’s food and shower gel and personal items they may pick up on that.
    If the shed is bigger than allowed they will enforce its regularisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Mind your own business. That's someone's home.

It is his business, if it's negatively impacting his home. There is a reason we have planning laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

An Ri rua wrote: »
    This isn't Twitter or Facebook. Boards is going downhill with all these millennials expressing their opinions even when not asked.

Typical 24 - 40 year olds ruining everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

zonked out druggies]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ok OP.
    You have your answer now.

Report to the Planning Enforcement Section of your Local Authority.
    They will deal with any possible Planning breaches.

I’m locking this thread now before it gets worse with tit for tat posts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement