Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to Dublin

Options
  • 13-07-2020 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Morning guys, girls and everything in between.

Long time reader first time poster. I've posted here and on another few forums.

Long story short, originally from Antrim. Lived in England for many years, my job now requires me to relocate too Dublin. Possibly, until I retire in 30 years as I can't see me working anywhere else.

I know Dublin roughly. We've been looking at Malahide area as I'd know it from my childhood, had a look at Dalkey and quickly moved on. Looking for a smallish town/suburb thats relatively quiet, decent schools in the area and can get the Dart/Train into Dublin ideally. Not sure how far our money will go in Dublin, its London stuff. Budget around 500-750k in an ideal world close to the coast or on it.

Ta.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,800 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What sort of house you looking for? How many bedrooms? What about a garden? Off-street parking for 2 cars?

Some of these things will dictate where you look for your budget. :)

Greystones might fit your bill (even though it's in Wicklow, not Dublin). On the coast, on the DART, smallish town / suburb, good schools. Downside to it is it's the last stop on the DART so it's a good 50 minutes into the city centre, and it's relatively pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭kg703

I think in Dublin you'll find plenty for 500 - 750k, even in the more expensive areas, you'd easily find something in that range. Plenty of 3-4 bed houses in Dalkey for that price and Dalkey is very much so the high end of the scale.

As the poster mentioned above - depends what you are looking for? How close to the coast? Walking distance? Or sea views?!

Clontarf, Killiney, Blackrock - all great areas on the Dart - not necessarily the little 'small town' vibe but plenty of lovely cafes, walks, restaurants and of course coast and dart all within reach. Again - these are in the upper range of price.

Sutton is another really nice spot, has a beach, so close to Howth also. Howth has plenty of bars, restaurants, pier and the beautiful Howth Hill etc. Malahide & portmarnock great too - I prefer Malahide by far.

If you would go a bit further Greystones is in Wicklow but still on the Dart line, lovely quiet area - again though expensive :)

If you want your money to go further maybe look at Donabate area? Dart doesnt stop there but it will in a few years (plans to extend) and there is a commuter train which is reasonably frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jeffstheman

Ideally a detached house, but I'm starting to appreciate in somewhere like Malahide i'll be lucky to get a semi even at the top of our budget. We've a decent deposit from savings and selling our house in England Id preferably like to have some money left for renovations etc hence the huge 250k swing.

Hadn't considered Greystones, I must have a look. I did think about Bray, but i'd ideally like to stay North of Dublin. We both haven't been able to simply drive up to our families in the North over the years. Also i'll be driving to the airport most days for work. Ideally just looking a suburb thats nice to bring a young family up as we begin that stage now shortly.

Have house prices in Dublin stagnated over the past few years or continued to rocket? A few years back I remember looking at rent in Swords and Malahide and its what ultimately led us to go to England for a number of years.

Thank KG! I know Clontarf, its where I would of parked to grab the Dart into the Aviva for many years.

Thanks for the advice, my knowledge of Dublin is navigating to Croke Park/Aviva!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Maybe Skerries would be worth a look? You could also try Rush.

Bit further out but your budget would get you something really nice there.

For example:

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/skerries/1-the-lapwing-barnageeragh-cove-skerries-dublin-2613123/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,777 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't have a huge amount to add some good advice already.
    Prices have definitely had a level off or drop the last while, I think this will probably continue with how things are at the minute.
    Check daft/my home and the PPR to see what you are getting value wise.
    I also dropped into a nearby gardai station to
    ask what area is like before buying.
    I am a fellow long term blow in from county Antrim lol good luck with the move! I personally still love it here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

My advice OP would be to pick up a rental for 6-12 months to learn the lay of the land here and define where you want to buy.

Theres huge variability in what you've asked for.

Proper Malahide is very expensive.
    Portmarnock is also popular and has a lot of new builds. Its not as nice a village as Malahide but its a solid area with
    Theres a lot new build sprawl around Malahide, some of which IMO is basically in Swords/Kinsealy etc but will claim a malahide address.
    There are much bigger, more rural properties available out around Skerries, ie 5 bed bungalows on big plots. Very different to what you'd get in and around Malahide. Does this appeal to you or would that be to remote? You really are quite far from the city if you go as far as Skerries.

If you want to be northside but closer to town, then theres the likes of Clontarf, Raheny, Baldoyle, Sutton, and Howth - you might get some value around Raheny and Baldoyle but the rest of the areas are quite pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/sandymount/

I live in Sandymount, it is a nice area, close to the sea, 15 min cycle to the city, 10 mins on the dart, one or two good playgrounds and parks.
    There is also a nice village.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/sandymount/

How does something like this grab you OP?

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/45-lawrence-grove-clontarf-dublin-3/4316536

It needs a fair bit of work but its detached and in Clontarf. You'd walk to the seafront in minutes and there'd be great schools and other local amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

I’d suggest having a look at Shankill. On the Dart and the 145 bus service is very good too. Beside the sea and yet very close to numerous hill walks and Wicklow is on the doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jeffstheman

Thanks folks I really appreciate all the advice.

We're coming over in the coming weeks to have a look around at a lot of the areas mentioned. Skerries is one we're definitely going to look at being the North side of Dublin and on the coast. A few of the places mentioned I've never heard off, but look lovely. I also had no idea Clontarf was 1) Expensive 2) A nice area to live in! I've seen a few new builds in and around Malahide right at the top end of our budget, that we like. One in Sutton also, which id never heard off until yesterday!

I'm personally baffled how any young couple affords to live in Dublin or even near it. With the price of rent being high, saving for a deposit would be a real challenge while simply living.

Being from Northern Ireland, and living in England for nearly 7 years now. I've a lot to learn about living in the place I call home on my passport! Health care, schools, etc long road ahead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Donabate would be my recommendation, it's close to the beach and has a nice village feel to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭kg703

Yeah Dublin is crazy money! I would think the house prices will be on the verge of a drop now that working from home has become more of a thing but I wouldn't count on it to be honest! It could go the opposite way with renters moving out of Dublin instead and more people buying - who knows? They say a recession is coming so we'll see.

Malahide and Sutton are two gorgeous areas - the only issue with them is the cost as they are so expensive to buy there. As someone mentioned earlier there is a difference with what some estate agents will call Malahide vs 'proper Malahide' so keep an eye out for that (happens in most areas though)

If you are commuting to the airport both the above are a great option but dont rule out further North County Dublin - Donabate, Rush, Lusk Skerries. Beach towns, much quieter, much cheaper. Not on Dart but have a solid train service and just off the M1 so easy to get back up North.

Go spend a weekend in a hotel in a few of the places you are looking at to get a feel for them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

MacDanger wrote: »
    Donabate would be my recommendation, it's close to the beach and has a nice village feel to it

Too far out - Maybe 20 years ago if you wanted to live in the middle of nowhere & worked closeby but not now - and far far too close to balbrigghan and its roving hoards.

OP - As well as Malahide, Clontarf, Howth and proper Raheny are all lovely - close to the sea and on the DART and not too far from large tracts of open parkland, St Annes park, playing fields, the sea and accessible beaches unlike Dalkey where houses are built down to its edges. They are also good middle class areas with good established communities and schools and amenities.

The coast road in Raheny that runs into Baldoyle at one end where the Coast development is, and Clontarf at the other has some beautiful large detached houses directly overlooking Dublin Bay. Ditto Sutton although it is a bit dull - though now with pubs and restaurants possibly never the same again you might appreciate a large detached hime with big wraparound garden and plenty of parking particularly now.

Some of the big old private houses in Howth and on and overlooking the cliffs are spectacular - its easy to be duped into looking at housing estates and dinky modern furniture and roller disco glittery kitchens you could create elsewhere but if I had 750K to spend that is what I would be looking at. Big old solid homes with large rooms, well built, huge gardens and good communities with predictable lifestyles and people.

Also with a detached old private home in a good area there is little chance of 20% of the estate being given over to ‘social and affordable’ or being built/bought en block as buy to lets as is happening with ‘homeless’ charities in new estates all over the city.

Would something like this be too small OP?

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/3-balglass-road-howth-county-dublin/4431035

Its 134m2 so not tiny but outdoor space is limited and its not detached, but.... its properly in Howth, amazing views and great local amenities. Anyone I know who grew up in Howth is fully obsessed with the place and I think your lifestyle would be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

I know its not on the DART line but Swords is another option.

This link below would be at the max of your budget but its in a fantastic location. Its in a quieter area of Swords and is beside Kinsealy (Drinan) and is not far from Malahide its self. Kinsealy also has a primary and secondary school which would be a 5 minute walk from this property.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/swords/4a-mountgorry-malahide-road-swords-dublin-2226035/

It also has to be noted that the Metrolink will run to Swords by 2027 - more like 2030 knowing things here. But if you were to buy that house your walk the nearest station at the Pavilions would be 3 minutes and into town in 25mins. This would substantially bring up the value of your property further down the line. Just food for thought and depends on the age of your family etc.

Best of luck with your big move!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If you are going to the airport for work most days then forget about the south side unless your work hours are during the night - the M50 is a virtual car park for most of the working day, it will sap your will to live getting to the airport via that route, going through the city centre isn't much better and the Dart doesn't reach the airport either.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Supercell wrote: »
    If you are going to the airport for work most days then forget about the south side unless your work hours are during the night - the M50 is a virtual car park for most of the working day, it will sap your will to live getting to the airport via that route, going through the city centre isn't much better and the Dart doesn't reach the airport either.

Eastlink & port tunnel us how my coastal Southside friends do it. They tell me its not bad but that route applies more to the town - Dun Laoghaire stretch of coast than further out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If you were looking on the south side, I'd say Shankill ticks all your boxes. As you will be driving to the airport I'd look north of it away from the city, out as far a Bettystown or even the other side of Drogheda close to the cost but you'll have tolls to pay then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

PCros wrote: »

This link below would be at the max of your budget but its in a fantastic location. Its in a quieter area of Swords and is beside Kinsealy (Drinan) and is not far from Malahide its self. Kinsealy also has a primary and secondary school which would be a 5 minute walk from this property.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/swords/4a-mountgorry-malahide-road-swords-dublin-2226035/

It also has to be noted that the Metrolink will run to Swords by 2027 - more like 2030 knowing things here. But if you were to buy that house your walk the nearest station at the Pavilions would be 3 minutes and into town in 25mins. This would substantially bring up the value of your property further down the line. Just food for thought and depends on the age of your family etc.

That looks very nice , less than 10 minutes drive to the airport , 5 mins drive to Malahide , easy access to the M1 for heading up North .

Greystones is not a good option if your going to be travelling to work during peak times on the M50 imo .

Thats a fab house but its also an example of EA's being fully ridiculous in what they consider to be Malahide. That house is fully far closer to Swords than Malahide. Calling anything that side of the M1 Malahide is just wishful thinking at best.

• Advertisement

SozBbz wrote: »
    Thats a fab house but its also an example of EA's being fully ridiculous in what they consider to be Malahide. That house is fully is far closer to Swords than Malahide. Calling anything that side of the M1 Malahide is just wishful thinking at best.

I always find this kind of thing very funny. Like the way half of Finglas is apparently Glasnevin. Same thing with Ballymun/Santry and Kilbarrack/Raheny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Thats a fab house but its also an example of EA's being fully ridiculous in what they consider to be Malahide. That house is fully is far closer to Swords than Malahide. Calling anything that side of the M1 Malahide is just wishful thinking at best.

The address says Swords in the description :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Thats a fab house but its also an example of EA's being fully ridiculous in what they consider to be Malahide. That house is fully far closer to Swords than Malahide. Calling anything that side of the M1 Malahide is just wishful thinking at best.

The address is Swords though...

Markitron wrote: »
    I always find this kind of thing very funny. Like the way half of Finglas is apparently Glasnevin. Same thing with Ballymun/Santry and Kilbarrack/Raheny

Not to mention Blanchardstown/Castleknock.

Not to mention Blanchardstown/Castleknock.

Another classic one. I am sure there are plenty on the southside too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Astro127

Morning guys, girls and everything in between.

Long time reader first time poster. I've posted here and on another few forums.

Long story short, originally from Antrim. Lived in England for many years, my job now requires me to relocate too Dublin. Possibly, until I retire in 30 years as I can't see me working anywhere else.

I know Dublin roughly. We've been looking at Malahide area as I'd know it from my childhood, had a look at Dalkey and quickly moved on. Looking for a smallish town/suburb thats relatively quiet, decent schools in the area and can get the Dart/Train into Dublin ideally. Not sure how far our money will go in Dublin, its London stuff. Budget around 500-750k in an ideal world close to the coast or on it.

Ta.

With your budget I would build a house just outside Dublin like in kildare can build a lovely big house with plenty of space for kids for 250k great small towns like kilcock with good schools and can get a dart from kilcock or maynooth into city centre .
    Only 30- 40 mins drive into dublin aswell.

people in the country side are bit more friendly then Dublin lol

And if in a couple of years you want to sell and move you can double your money from building it
    Houses wont make as much profit selling in dublin.
    I have seen houses built and go on market and sell for 600k .

The address is Swords though...

Whoops - I saw the word Malahide in the address, but you're right, it does say Swords - my mistake. I was thinking that side of the M1 was really pushing it to be considered Malahide!

Its still something for the OP to watch. Whats considered Malahide has really sprawled in recent years and some houses are really very far from the village. The OP clearly doesnt know Dublin well, so if they are thinking of using the dart for example, then understanding how far away some of these houses with Malahide addresses are from the amenities that are in the village itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 hackersphorr

Astro127 wrote: »
    With your budget I would build a house just outside Dublin like in kildare can build a lovely big house with plenty of space for kids for 250k great small towns like kilcock with good schools and can get a dart from kilcock or maynooth into city centre .
    Only 30- 40 mins drive into dublin aswell.

people in the country side are bit more friendly then Dublin lol

And if in a couple of years you want to sell and move you can double your money from building it
    Houses wont make as much profit selling in dublin.
    I have seen houses built and go on market and sell for 600k .

Hmmmm...Some issues with this...

1. You need local needs to build a new build on a site unless your planning on buying an existing house and renovating
    2. What exactly would you build for 250k?
    3. There's no DART in Kilcock/Maynooth

• Administrators Posts: 53,800 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am not familiar with the market in Kildare but even if you got PP 250k for site and house seems incredibly cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Hmmmm...Some issues with this...

1. You need local needs to build a new build on a site unless your planning on buying an existing house and renovating
    2. What exactly would you build for 250k?
    3. There's no DART in Kilcock/Maynooth

Curious about the 30 to 40 commute time as well, seems very optimistic.

Advertisement