Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

You have a real laundry list of vague and somewhat contradictory "wants" most of which will put you in the expensive end of sny city in the world. I suggest you think about them and refine them to identify precisely what your must haves and nice to haves are, then start looking. For instance:

1) Near the coast: do you want to go to the beach or just walk along the coast? Do you want a sea view, do you want walking distance? If you drive, how far is a problem?

2) The airport: if you need to get to the airport often are you happy to drive (adds time for parking)? Take taxis? Would public transport to the airport be desirable? Are you likely to be travelling to the airport at rush hour? Oddly the airport can be tougher to get to from some places quite nearby.

3) Near the DART: where do you want to go on the DART? Is it the city centre for work? Is it for weekends? Is there a reason it has to be the DART or is any decent public transport an option? Is publuc transport to the city for something specific or just a kind of general "we should be able to do that" thing. Which is the priority city centre or airport?

4) close to a small town centre or suburb: what does close mean to you? Walking distance? Is it restaurants, cafes, shops, a cinema, a pub? What are you looking to be close to?

5) detached house: town centres & public transport rely on a density of population. Detached houses don't provide density. There will be some but they're going to attract a premium. Which is more important to you - location or the house itself?

What does a good school mean to you? Mixed? Religious? Non-Religious? Academic? Facilities? Sports? Music?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Astro127 wrote: »
    With your budget I would build a house just outside Dublin like in kildare can build a lovely big house with plenty of space for kids for 250k great small towns like kilcock with good schools and can get a dart from kilcock or maynooth into city centre .
    Only 30- 40 mins drive into dublin aswell.

people in the country side are bit more friendly then Dublin lol

And if in a couple of years you want to sell and move you can double your money from building it
    Houses wont make as much profit selling in dublin.
    I have seen houses built and go on market and sell for 600k .

So much wrong wtih this post.

You cant just land in Kildare and build a house.

No way would you get a house built and site for €250k.

Also the OP is not from the area so they wouldnt qualify to build a greenfield house anway.

I'd disregard this OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

PCros wrote: »
    I know its not on the DART line but Swords is another option.

This link below would be at the max of your budget but its in a fantastic location. Its in a quieter area of Swords and is beside Kinsealy (Drinan) and is not far from Malahide its self. Kinsealy also has a primary and secondary school which would be a 5 minute walk from this property.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/swords/4a-mountgorry-malahide-road-swords-dublin-2226035/

It also has to be noted that the Metrolink will run to Swords by 2027 - more like 2030 knowing things here. But if you were to buy that house your walk the nearest station at the Pavilions would be 3 minutes and into town in 25mins. This would substantially bring up the value of your property further down the line. Just food for thought and depends on the age of your family etc.

Best of luck with your big move!

Looks lovely but not sure where that is - definately much further than 3 minutes walk to the pavillions as I have a friend living in a house closeby and nowhere near this property and that is a six minute walk - for that house you might need a car everywhere - but amazing kitchen and garden - I’d love it - maybe not the location. Re the metro north ‘They’ promised the metrolink North sixteen years ago and have been cancelling it and re-routing it and saying it will no longer go ahead ever since - I wouldn’t believe a word out of their mouths anymore. You might be dead and retired before they turn another sod on it. They put in raised platform for it along the route to the airport but that was where it started and finished - not a penny spent on building it since - I wouldn’t be holding my breath.

OP - there are some new houses 4 bed detached being planned for the old Jamesson House in Raheny - they are making an interested list - might be of interest to be on a list for plans etc - that is old Raheny and a short walk to St Annes park, the beach, primary and girls secondary schools, bakery, Butlers coffee shop etc and a well established quiet but commutable part of the world to live in & up the road from the dart - about 15 mins walk. Used often be used for film sets
    so I know it - worth a google - no idea what the plans for the new houses will be like.

I found it when I was looking up Jamesson Orchard in Portmarnock - an old family home & or hard/farm they imaginatively turned into beautiful houses overlooking Robswall and the front ones all with sea views - living rooms on the second floor with balconys overlooking portmarnock/ high rock area. I heard they were all to rent only but this may not be true - ir might be nice to rent somewhere new and interesting while you look to buy!

If you were looking on the south side, I'd say Shankill ticks all your boxes. As you will be driving to the airport I'd look north of it away from the city, out as far a Bettystown or even the other side of Drogheda close to the cost but you'll have tolls to pay then

far far far too far. He’ll never see his house in daylight or his wife/children.

• Advertisement

SozBbz wrote: »
    Whoops - I saw the word Malahide in the address, but you're right, it does say Swords - my mistake. I was thinking that side of the M1 was really pushing it to be considered Malahide!

Its still something for the OP to watch. Whats considered Malahide has really sprawled in recent years and some houses are really very far from the village. The OP clearly doesnt know Dublin well, so if they are thinking of using the dart for example, then understanding how far away some of these houses with Malahide addresses are from the amenities that are in the village itself.

Malahide Road - through Coolock and Darndale
    Howth Road - from Fairview to Howth
    Raheny Road Kilbarrack onwards out not Raheny
    Swords Road bang in the middle of Malahide running towards Kinsealy and on to Swords

Its a minefield!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

If you're from Antrim, it makes more sense to live northside if you want to get home to see family and friends handy enough. I think it would be lunacy to move to the Southside if you're from NI, working at the airport and have viable Northside options. I suppose the only downside of living out in Skerries/Swords and those places is the distance from the city centre and associated taxi costs from coming home after a night out (you'd have the same issue in Shankill or Greystones, I guess). You'd have to weigh up whether this matters to you. Personally I'd be happy with a monthly splurge getting home to Skerries after a night out in town if it meant I wasn't spending 3 hours a day crawling bumper to bumper up and down the M50 to get to/from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Looks lovely but not sure where that is - definately much further than 3 minutes walk to the pavillions as I have a friend living in a house closeby and nowhere near this property and that is a six minute walk - for that house you might need a car everywhere - but amazing kitchen and garden - I’d love it - maybe not the location.

You don't know where the house is...but you know that its more than a 3 minute walk? The house is located literally minutes away from the Pavilions...

Anyway here is the location for you...
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/53.4536776,-6.2065644/53.4533621,-6.2064578/@53.4534073,-6.20633,172m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

I can see that Swords house from my house. Personally I'd love it as I love the location I'm in. A few minutes walk into Swords, shopping centre, cinema, lovely restaurants. Also if we eat out in Malahide we'll walk home, 30-40 minutes but lovely in the summer. Bus route into malahide, to the airport, city centre. You're also only about 50 minutes to the border.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Top chief

With your budget I would build a house just outside Dublin like in kildare can build a lovely big house with plenty of space for kids for 250k great small towns like kilcock with good schools and can get a dart from kilcock or maynooth into city centre .

people in the country side are bit more friendly then Dublin lol

And if in a couple of years you want to sell and move you can double your money from building it
    Houses wont make as much profit selling in dublin.
    I have seen houses built and go on market and sell for 600k .

1 First off you need to buy land which could be 100k for
    just an acre , then get planning permission

2 You can built a good size house for 250k if that's what
    you meant but would need the land first .

3 no dart in kilcock/ maynooth there is train

4 on a good day yeah prob 40mins to Dublin depending where . On a bad day rush hour morning traffic it's very slow , depending on your work hours if do shifts you might miss rush hour traffic

5 depending on the housing market when and if you sell , you can make a good profit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

I could think of nothing worse with a young family! Much prefer to be in a nice estate in a nice area with friends for the kids, schools, shops and transport links on the doorstep. You would spend your life in the car, commuting, ferrying kids to school and friends etc.
    The house in the country is a lovely idea when the kids have grown up but not when they're young imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

It sounds like you'd be mad to go southside tbh given the family ties to the north and you needing access to the airport.

There's a lot of good places been said. I'd add Killester to the list. Good dart and bus connections to city centre and walking distance to dollymount strand and st Anne's park.

Is your other half working or likely to be looking for work in the near future. Closer proximity to city centre might be better for that. Commute from Skerries etc to city centre could be quite long.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

far far far too far. He’ll never see his house in daylight or his wife/children.

FAR far too far from what? Like most of the people in that area, I work in Dublin and see plenty of my wife and children. And have a lovely house that cost half of what it would in Dublin, right by a beautiful beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Morning guys, girls and everything in between.

Long time reader first time poster. I've posted here and on another few forums.

Long story short, originally from Antrim. Lived in England for many years, my job now requires me to relocate too Dublin. Possibly, until I retire in 30 years as I can't see me working anywhere else.

I know Dublin roughly. We've been looking at Malahide area as I'd know it from my childhood, had a look at Dalkey and quickly moved on. Looking for a smallish town/suburb thats relatively quiet, decent schools in the area and can get the Dart/Train into Dublin ideally. Not sure how far our money will go in Dublin, its London stuff. Budget around 500-750k in an ideal world close to the coast or on it.
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/new-homes-for-sale/vernon-mews-vernon-avenue-clontarf-dublin-87127/
    New build
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/bungalows-for-sale/killester/43a-abbeyfield-killester-dublin-2588174/
    Second hand
    Both are near the coast and have good schools in the area
    The second one is a 2 minute walk to the DART

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭antimatterx

brisan wrote: »
    Morning guys, girls and everything in between.

Long time reader first time poster. I've posted here and on another few forums.

Long story short, originally from Antrim. Lived in England for many years, my job now requires me to relocate too Dublin. Possibly, until I retire in 30 years as I can't see me working anywhere else.

I know Dublin roughly. We've been looking at Malahide area as I'd know it from my childhood, had a look at Dalkey and quickly moved on. Looking for a smallish town/suburb thats relatively quiet, decent schools in the area and can get the Dart/Train into Dublin ideally. Not sure how far our money will go in Dublin, its London stuff. Budget around 500-750k in an ideal world close to the coast or on it.
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/new-homes-for-sale/vernon-mews-vernon-avenue-clontarf-dublin-87127/
    New build
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/bungalows-for-sale/killester/43a-abbeyfield-killester-dublin-2588174/
    Second hand
    Both are near the coast and have good schools in the area
    The second one is a 2 minute walk to the DART

Wow. The Clontarf ones are beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Wow. The Clontarf ones are beautiful.

Nice houses but not as big as the pictures suggest
    However you have shops restauants pub on you doorstep.
    When I say you are literally a stones throw from the coast you can throw a stone from some houses to the sea
    Also good schools in the area
    Only drawback is the coast road is exceptionally busy at peak times,weekends and in the summer.
    Its a 15 min walk to the DART but its a fabulous location

Advertisement