Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple Ordered to Demolish House - any update?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

cnocbui wrote: »
    I wonder who set up that instagram page. Someone with an axe to grind and who either ownes a drone or could afford to pay a professional with one.

Drones are two a penny now, lots of teenagers have them. And I would say there are a lot of people along that row of houses who have an axe to grind. It is right on the beach and Burrow Road is one exclusive road with perhaps the most expensive houses of anywhere on Dublins northside, 2-3 million is the going rate for a house there.

.Also it looks like he has built it in what was the garden of an original house behind it (maybe his parents house?). Because it is so far forward on the site it is now going to be blocking sea views that the neighbours used to have before. While you have no right to a view in planning law his neighbours must be furious and want to see it knocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

I wouldn't mind at all, so long as I was alowed to build my 1930s German inspired glass and concrete house that's as far removed from a hokey little 2 storey Irish dormer bungalow as possible.

You see, that's the thing. I completely see your point. If he can do it, so can I. And then others see the 2 of you, and think they can do it too.

These people taking the piss need to be made an example of. Flatten the place and hand them the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Drones are two a penny now, lots of teenagers have them. And I would say there are a lot of people along that row of houses who have an axe to grind. It is right on the beach and Burrow Road is one exclusive road with perhaps the most expensive houses of anywhere on Dublins northside, 2-3 million is the going rate for a house there.

.Also it looks like he has built it in what was the garden of an original house behind it (maybe his parents house?). Because it is so far forward on the site it is now going to be blocking sea views that the neighbours used to have before. While you have no right to a view in planning law his neighbours must be furious and want to see it knocked.

I live in the countryside with lovely panoramic views. However, the planning permission says the view should be eliminated by planting a hedge, specific to the pont of approved species, so I haven't too much sympathy with the idea that planners might have wanted to consider the views being blocked by the siting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Bad enough building that,
    but also demolished a large part of a 100 year old house to do it.

• Advertisement

Beltby wrote: »
    You see, that's the thing. I completely see your point. If he can do it, so can I. And then others see the 2 of you, and think they can do it too.

These people taking the piss need to be made an example of. Flatten the place and hand them the bill.

I'd rather the planning laws were fixed so people were more motivated to abide by them. I fully appreciate a more libertarian view is not welcomed in this country and that the majority of boardsies absolutely love the current planning system that maintains the familliar like a Catholic doctrine, but that's my opinion.

I think when even the President of a country is foiled several times by the planning system and feels a need to break the rules, and her being a former Reid Professor of Law no less, the legislators should cop on that it needs fixing. Stopped from putting in a visual feature lake on a rural property, FFS!

The BBC makes programmes gushing about the lakes and gardens Capability Brown constructed in the UK, books are written about the man, his creations are hertiage listed, no less, but had he lived in present day Ireland, well you can forget it sunshine, we don't want any of your eyesores, thank you very much.

I live in the countryside with lovely panoramic views. However, the planning permission says the view should be eliminated by planting a hedge, specific to the pont of approved species, so I haven't too much sympathy with the idea that planners might have wanted to consider the views being blocked by the siting.

That sounds insane, whats the idea of them forcing you to plant a hedge. biodiversity or something?

And yeah you have no right to a view in planning law but it is often a bone of contention in scenic locations like Burrow Road above where people have spent years looking out at views of the sea and then suddenly someone comes along and plants a house there blocking them. Views like that can make up 15%-20% of the value of the house so someone blocking that view is knocking value off the houses next door.

With the wealth on Burrow Road (and likely a few senior counsel as residents) Im surprised the neighbours didnt get together and try going for a High Court injunction to stop him even building it as far as it has been.

That sounds insane, whats the idea of them forcing you to plant a hedge. biodiversity or something?

And yeah you have no right to a view in planning law but it is often a bone of contention in scenic locations like Burrow Road above where people have spent years looking out at views of the sea and then suddenly someone comes along and plants a house there blocking them. Views like that can make up 15%-20% of the value of the house so someone blocking that view is knocking value off the houses next door.

With the wealth on Burrow Road (and likely a few senior counsel as residents) Im surprised the neighbours didnt get together and try going for a High Court injunction to stop him even building it as far as it has been.

I have no idea, other than spite. The biodiversity thing doesn't wash. I have had 18 years of enjoying the view, time to plant a hedge that will block the view so I can sell up and get out of dodge.

Sorry, but If the planning system can require me to erase my view and decrease my property value by 15-20%, I haven't one iota of sympathy for the residents of Burrow rd and the noisome idea that the planning system might be used to preserve someone elses view. Normally I would be fully in support, but perhaps you can see why I'm not.

In my experience, when people do that Burrow rd sort of thing, they tend to have more wealth than the incumbents and can afford to take a punt on losing everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Only because they have modest salaries and couldn't afford to.

Exactly, arrogant entitled priçks think because they've made a few quid that the laws of the land no matter how ridiculous some of them are don't apply to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That Sutton house is a mad yoke, it makes me think that watching a demolition of it would be enjoyable.

Also doesnt U2s Larry Mullen (or maybe Clayton?) live along that row of houses?

Definitely not Clayton, he's in Dansemoat, beside Marlay Park, beside his old school.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mullen defo used to live along there (I assume he still does). My mother was doing the census years back and he answered the door to her. Very pleasant towards her apparently.

Mullen defo used to live along there (I assume he still does). My mother was doing the census years back and he answered the door to her. Very pleasant towards her apparently.
    He lived next-door at 9b according to Irish Times;
    Quote;

Number 9B was one of two houses designed and built by husband and wife developers Nadia and Mack Lennon on the site of a 1929 house which they demolished.

North Shore, number 9B is set on about half an acre of grounds and is situated well back from the road. The property came to market in 2008 asking €4.5million but by then the market had dropped and instead the five-bedroom detached house was rented out as a corporate let.

Tenants have included U2’s drummer Larry Mullen. But the house is devoid of any rock star bling. Instead it feels like a proper family home, albeit one with a very nuanced high-end finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

What nonsense. People don't move from large cities or towns to small villages; in general, the trend would be the opposite, but they do move to one off houses in the vicinity of villages and become part of the catchment area for local shops and businesses. My local village just recently had an Aldi open in it, which would indicate a commercial assessment that a demographic decline is not underway.

Connemara, with it's famous/infamous planning war against holiday homes and foreigners is dying and emptying apace. The place will be empty in another 80 years and the whole region can then be turned into one giant national park.

That war on holiday homes to keep housing cheap for locals is certainly delivering great dividends there, as hoped. /s

Who told you that? If that were the case Village and Rural town Post offices, butchers, greengrocers, bakeries and draperies wouldn't be shutting down and Garda stations would be still present.
    One off housing causes severe car dependency and the result is people driving to outlet shops, discount shops and centres with ample parking as indigenous family owned businesses die on their feet.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I'm no fan of the Irish planning laws but the absolute arrogance of the two families mentioned in this thread is astounding.
    It looks like number 10 has a bit of history with the planners;

http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00395357.pdf

Tried to get a declaration of exempted development.
    Failed.
    Waited 12 years, and just went ahead anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It looks like number 10 has a bit of history with the planners;

http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00395357.pdf

Tried to get a declaration of exempted development.
    Failed.
    Waited 12 years, and just went ahead anyway.

Does anyone have any background on the applicant - business or builder or lawyer or what?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Who told you that? If that were the case Village and Rural town Post offices, butchers, greengrocers, bakeries and draperies wouldn't be shutting down and Garda stations would be still present.
    One off housing causes severe car dependency and the result is people driving to outlet shops, discount shops and centres with ample parking as indigenous family owned businesses die on their feet.

I don't need to be 'told' as I am one of them. I know a few others who live in one-offs near me, so am certain I am not unique. Bank manger, three university academics. Medical consultant with a private practice, Chemist, brick layer, Owner of a packaging busines, a jeweller, Builder, NHS manager, winner of the Euro Millions and there was even a German Industrialist who would fly in on his private sea plane. Really I'm just scratching the surface here as there would be 10, 20... others I don't know of for every one that I do.

Every morning and evening, the connecting road to the motorway leading to the big smoke is very busy with the commuter traffic. The local community and small businesses are kept alive by these settelers, who work in or near the big smoke but choose not to live in or nearer it. Local business is so brisk, that Aldi recently built a store in the village.

There is nothing wrong with car dependency. Cars are very popular and absolutely vital to government revenue as over 10% of the total tax take comes from motorists.

I don't need to be 'told' as I am one of them. I know a few others who live in one-offs near me, so am certain I am not unique. Bank manger, three university academics. Medical consultant with a private practice, Chemist, brick layer, Owner of a packaging busines, a jeweller, Builder, NHS manager, winner of the Euro Millions and there was even a German Industrialist who would fly in on his private sea plane. Really I'm just scratching the surface here as there would be 10, 20... others I don't know of for every one that I do.

Every morning and evening, the connecting road to the motorway leading to the big smoke is very busy with the commuter traffic. The local community and small businesses are kept alive by these settelers, who work in or near the big smoke but choose not to live in or nearer it. Local business is so brisk, that Aldi recently built a store in the village.

There is nothing wrong with car dependency. Cars are very popular and absolutely vital to government revenue as over 10% of the total tax take comes from motorists.

Just your typical village in rural Ireland then, except it happens to be within
    a commute of the 'big smoke'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

UPDATE
    As a few people have requested it, this thread is re-opened. But let me be very clear about this - this thread is for discussion of the house mentioned in the OP. Don't drag the thread off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭conor05

Having worked in local authority planning enforcement for 15 years before moving on, this house will not be demolished.

Watch this space!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

conor05 wrote: »
    Having worked in local authority planning enforcement for 15 years before moving on, this house will not be demolished.

Watch this space!

I have to agree with you. I can't see it being demolished either, enforcement me arse.

We had an extension built using a CoCo grant. Grant was paid out without work being checked and corners cut by the builder has left it uninhabitable.
    We contacted building enforcement officer as nothing complies with regulations but they have refused to inspect the work.

They are employed by the CoCo and would be condemning something their CoCo signed off and paid for.

I will be amazed if that house is knocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Wondering if these folks ever had to knock the house? I doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭dubrov

Doesn't look like it.

15 years and counting. Court system is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Odelay

heard of this today in the England, the DM was the only source I could find for it.

They've probably already looked for an extension to the demolition deadline because Covid 19 stopped them looking for new home for the granny who is probably now aged over 100! And Meath Co Co will probably feel obliged to roll over.

On the Sutton illegal development, there's a Green TD from Fingal called Joe O'Brien who was a Fingal Councillor and is now Junior Minister for Community Development - a shame that he doesn't seem to give a toss about the Burrow Road community!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭GavPJ

They have until September?

Anyone know the exact location? I'm curious to have a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭dubrov

I'd be amazed if they are out in September. The first high court order to demolish was in 2010 and still not a stone has been touched

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

There is nothing wrong with car dependency - thats a wind up right?

Amazing that we are 12 years in to this saga and it still hasnt been knocked. It makes a mockery of planning enforcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Advertisement