Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple Ordered to Demolish House - any update?

1333435363739»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭Homer

if everyone could just put Rows Grower on the old ignore list that would be great! Another fine example of a poster ruining a thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Shoog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭standardg60

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, not sure if he meant the spelling though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭chooseusername

• Advertisement

When the penny drops Shoog self reflects.

He took one for the team of Karen's who lost the plot.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The same way back in the noughties you got multiple mortgages on the same property, the same way you got a mortgage on a site that was not transfered to your, the same way you got a mortgage on a site with no proper access.

People assuming that the present mortgage rules were the same in the noughties. They were not. Banks now have checks and balances to make sure you have planning, the site belongs to you, there is unrestricted access to the site and that you have no other loan on the property etc......in the noughties they did not make such stringent checks

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

I did respond. But no point responding to WUMs. Ignore list activated.

if you think checking for planning permission qualifies as a stringent check you are the same as Growers haha

I call BS. A mortgage is based upon the saleability of an asset and always has been. The bank has always done due diligence to establish if the asset is valuable enough to meet the price of the mortgage if the property has to be repossessed. A property without PP is unsellable and has been for decades. Nothing has changed in this regard.

• Advertisement

Yes I agree the asset is unsaleable and banks look for security. However I am pointing out the fact that banks from22005-2008 especially were not as careful as they should have been when lending and did not have processes in place to check and verify the security that should have been in place.

There was multiple cases of what I posted happened where banks failed to have proper security for mortgages in place

Slava Ukrainii

No, simply no.

Basic due diligence of a bank was to ensure the asset had the value it was claimed to have and none approved new builds have always been subjected to significantly more scrutiny than second hand houses because of the intrinsically higher risks involved. They are harder to get in every aspect so the chances that this particular property was build using a mortgage on this property are zero.

Sorry you are incorrect. There was multiple cases where houses where banks did not have proper security on new properties. There was many of them on BidX. There was multiple places where it happened.

Slava Ukrainii

Show some evidence for properties which were built with mortgage finance and no prior PP. Sorry but I am unwilling to take your word for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ForestFire

The relevance of the mortgage is directly related to the couples claim of hard times on them, and yes at first glance may seem like a moot point.

As this house was built off the books (I think we can agree that's a fact), is is likely (not verified) there is no mortgage. But the main point goes beyond this.

It is also likely as a plumber, building off the books, it was done as part of a group of builders in different areas (bricky, Sparky, plasterer, carpenter etc.) all supporting each other. Is this a fact no, is it a problem if it was done like this, No, I have no problem with builders helping each other, in their spare time, if that's what they want to do.

Its also worth remembering that the average size house in Ireland is 220m2 and this was build is over 500m2.

So it's not a reasonable sized house by any means, and they probably avoided paying huge amounts of interest, due to low build costs, and low if any interest payments on any loans, like the rest of us.

They also intentionally and willingly bloke the law in doing all this.

So my main point, however they funded the house, is claiming hard times doesn't cut it for me, we've all had hard times, but have had to struggle through with it and get on with it.

If you rob a bank, you can't suddenly claim hard times as some sort of get out clause not to be responsible for your illegal actions.

Fella's speculating and arguing about a mortgage without even knowing what a mortgage is and one fella even doubling down to say that he sold mortgages for a major bank. Lol.

We all know what mortgage is - a loan with an asset with collateral as surety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,669 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You know this for a fact? How.

Just to be clear, both Nationwide and Anglo were handing out loans at the time for property, with less than rigorous due diligence, to both property speculators and builders. So I’m not sure how you can be factual sure about how it was paid for, or why that is even relevant.

You claimed to have put me on ignore at 11.46pm last night.

You're a bluffer sunshine, off with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

It's clear that this story (and indeed other stories) show all the problems ABP has.

ABP has made a fool of itself and shown to everyone that it and the council have no meaningful power. Structure is neatly 20 years old. I'm sure there are rules that if a structure is standing X amount of years without planning that it's automatically granted retention.

There's a stack of people before the courts in Dublin over renovations/extensions that were completed without planning permission. Courts are saying put it back the way it was, but nothing ever happens. The courts grant permission for the council to put things back the way they were but they don't have staff to do that, and any subcontractor would be mad to take on a job like that.

ABP's inability to change to a rules based system and inherent corruption in the organization is core contributing factor to the mess we currently have in the construction sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭byrne249

They might have brought a few of them with them when they relocated from Galway to RathCairn, only a short hop skip for the slugs across to Bohermeen

There is a certain time factor, however the LA started enforcement proceedings within that time frame and that nullifies the ability to retain the structure.

By the way you do not automatically get retention. What happens is the LA cannot force you to demolish. However if you applied planning for anything else on the site they would force you to apply for retention. It tends to be more of an issue for commercial than housing.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement