Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Cant understand the pushing of yamasaka and his ebi score he's a very average bull for fertility on his daughter proven American dpr and I have 6 of them to calf down this year plus maiden heifers, boldi armour is hands down alot better bull and his American daughter proofs verify this especially regards fertility, if the ebi index was actually working armour would be plus 100 for fert and yamasaka around 10.. ..

No one pushing him ,nicely balanced figures fertility good on my herd so will loose nothing and gain milk solids and type

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭ruwithme

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Having a look at the weather forum it's amazing the amount of people wishing for a Beast from the East 2 next week. I still have nightmares about the last one.

Easy knowing most,if not all of them won't have to go out into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭straight

Cant understand the pushing of yamasaka and his ebi score he's a very average bull for fertility on his daughter proven American dpr and I have 6 of them to calf down this year plus maiden heifers, boldi armour is hands down alot better bull and his American daughter proofs verify this especially regards fertility, if the ebi index was actually working armour would be plus 100 for fert and yamasaka around 10.. ..

Albert's figures seem to be holding up nicely alright. I've one heifer calf off him so far. Fr4600 dandyman is one bull I'm using for the easy calving and sexed but I'm unsure of him.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Lost alot of cattle back then. I'm on the coast high up over the sea. Putting on your boots & facing out to that was the worst experience of my life.

I must have escaped the worst of it. Biggest problem I had was the water pipes freezing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

richie123 wrote: »
    Yes was it a 100 bales or more ? All outdoor cubicles too

Yep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭alps

It's the equivalent of a GAA follower hoping for Clare to win the All Ireland.
    Or a traveller hoping a coloured pacing filly foal.
    Or a suckler farmer for a lim x bb roan heifer calf born in the northwest.

Easy know they're not livestock farmers! :p

I was reading that answer, and I thought it was in respect tonthe previous question on if you were going to continue using genomic bulls...

Same chances😎

• Registered Users Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

alps wrote: »
    I was reading that answer, and I thought it was in respect tonthe previous question on if you were going to continue using genomic bulls...

Same chances😎

Even down to last sentence..

Hope you are reasonably prepared for sneachta. If that south east wind comes in Monday and Tuesday you could be getting some.

Just in from a heifer calving. Two feet out and looked like she was messing. Managed to get one rope on a foot and up she pops and me on a tug of war. Not ideal but it came out before I could get the chance to get the second rope on.
    Thought it was dead. Swallowed fluid before calving. Belly rubs, fingers in ears, fingers down the throat, fingers in the nostrils, mouth to mouth. Got the shift off a calf..
    And finally after some gulps of air it starts to come round.
    A nice live freisian heifer calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭Grueller

Just in myself. That was the last one to calve that I bought in last year after being with a friesian stock bull. I had no due dates for them and have for all of the rest. Delighted to have the dates as a rough guide now.
    23 calved, 26 live calves (so far and fingers crossed). 9 bulls, 2 freemartin heifers and 15 heifers that should be fit to breed. 5 of those are off of sexed semen. Angus calves to start arriving shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Just in here as well, heifer calf off lisduff perception. Slow start here, delayed a week for start of breeding, planned start was the 5th, 13 so far 8 heifers 5 bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭jaymla627

mahoney_j wrote: »
    No one pushing him ,nicely balanced figures fertility good on my herd so will loose nothing and gain milk solids and type

They will be quite fragile cows, have flame daughters milking here that are in the sire stack for yamasaka and they are really similar, they are a pretty high maintenance animal, that really aren't suited to a grass based system they melt away after calving and a very slow to put on condition quite noticeable compared to the rest of the herd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

They will be quite fragile cows, have flame daughters milking here that are in the sire stack for yamasaka and they are really similar, they are a pretty high maintenance animal, that really aren't suited to a grass based system they melt away after calving and a very slow to put on condition quite noticeable compared to the rest of the herd

Any animal will melt if not fed right ,push to get cows to grass here after calving but don’t over do it ,Maize silage ,top quality bales and 4/8 kg in parlour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭alps

Hope you are reasonably prepared for sneachta. If that south east wind comes in Monday and Tuesday you could be getting some.

Streamers in this morning making it right nasty...developing up at Youghal and heading WNW..be interesting if your predictions come to pass...

It will be a new phenomenon if it happens around here. 2018 coastal dump didn't even make it to Cork City, only a few miles inland..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭stanflt

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Cousin is a huge fan of praser also loves twist. He'd have an 8k litre cow & good feeder obviously.

My stand out heifer calf born this year is a praser out of a twist

My yamaskas are anything but fragile- will be big blocky powerhouses of cows- probably all depends on what the cows before her is like

• Registered Users Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

alps wrote: »
    Streamers in this morning making it right nasty...developing up at Youghal and heading WNW..be interesting if your predictions come to pass...

It will be a new phenomenon if it happens around here. 2018 coastal dump didn't even make it to Cork City, only a few miles inland..

Getting showers (rain/sleet) here too atm.

Models have the wind atm coming from ese to you, so off the sea.
    Goes back to ne really from now on till 12am Tuesday then to east and southeast again till 12 Tuesday noon.
    So that's your risk time and then obviously the weather system coming in later.

Snow already on the mountains here this morning.

ZSR figures always seemed to hold up pretty well. I've one here 12 months old and she's starting to get a bit tall. I've some Perseus calving down this year and they're springing up nicely. They seem to have very shiny healthy coats. Nicely built and not too leggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

What bulls would you be considering Jay?

A typical yamaska calf weighing 108kg at 62 days of age

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

stanflt wrote: »

I was expecting to see something akin to a racehorse before I clicked that link.

stanflt wrote: »

Any pictures of incalf heifers our maidens, was using him here before it was cool to be using him, his dpr tanked after his daughter proofs came in, at 0.4 hes just average on the American tpi has no place in a spring calving herd in Ireland at those figures....I have a good few flame cows milking that are carbon copys of my yamaska's in that they are grand cows just aren't a patch on the boldi armours/Neptunes....

• Advertisement

Any pictures of incalf heifers our maidens, was using him here before it was cool to be using him, his dpr tanked after his daughter proofs came in, at 0.4 hes just average on the American tpi has no place in a spring calving herd in Ireland at those figures....I have a good few flame cows milking that are carbon copys of my yamaska's in that they are grand cows just aren't a patch on the boldi armours/Neptunes....

Any flames I seen are narrow and too frail for my liking- my oldest yamaska are only going to the bull this spring- nice heifers but my methods are stand out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭blackdog1

One of my best cows down in the cubicles this morning calved 2 months 3rd Calver did 8700 litres a a 2nd Calver at 4.52f 3.79p over 305. I'm beyond sick..... Currently pricing easyfix mats for slats.. Anyone use them?

blackdog1 wrote: »
    One of my best cows down in the cubicles this morning calved 2 months 3rd Calver did 8700 litres a a 2nd Calver at 4.52f 3.79p over 305. I'm beyond sick..... Currently pricing easyfix mats for slats.. Anyone use them?

They are a great job, only issue is you'll get a few cows lying on them over cubicles, have the matting in the holding yard aswell brilliant job when cows might be bulling and slip with a stock bull after them they bounce back up

They are a great job, only issue is you'll get a few cows lying on them over cubicles, have the matting in the holding yard aswell brilliant job when cows might be bulling and slip with a stock bull after them they bounce back up

Cheers Jay. Do you have much trouble scraping it with the reduced space between slats?

Cheers Jay. Do you have much trouble scraping it with the reduced space between slats?

Youd never have to go near the slats, they aren't chunky and are flat and grooved so manure goes down between them the same as a normal concrete slat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭visatorro

blackdog1 wrote:

I've a few mats down. Id imagine Its impossible to scrap them. I have them In a slatted house so stock lying down will push the muck through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Do mats help if a cow is a bit shook getting up etc

Was she bulling? Noticed here when in winter milk there was an area towards the front of the shed away from the cubicles where cows used to do most of the their bullies activity, could you set up a similar area out of normal traffic flow where they may go when in heat?

Mooooo wrote: »
    Was she bulling? Noticed here when in winter milk there was an area towards the front of the shed away from the cubicles where cows used to do most of the their bullies activity, could you set up a similar area out of normal traffic flow where they may go when in heat?

don't know. i had one down 3 weeks ago and i put down rubber mats in that area and that seemed to settle things down until i found the cow this morning half on a cubicle. i feel like putting a nest camera in and seeing whats going on.

• Advertisement

Got a txt from eurogene about genotyping a calf, just saying they would like to, not other instructions are they just gonna send out a kit or what's the the story? Do they take long these days?

Advertisement