Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,419 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mooooo wrote: »
    Got a txt from eurogene about genotyping a calf, just saying they would like to, not other instructions are they just gonna send out a kit or what's the the story? Do they take long these days?

You should have a kit tomorrow. I got 4 recently. You take the hairs off the calfs tail and return in the envelope. You sign the contract to go with whatever company you want

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

There seems to be confusion about the use of Ivonec Classic in dry dairy cows. After two calls to Boehringer Ingelheim, the conclusion is it can be used in dry cows provided they don't supply milk for human consumption within 60 days. Pregnant heifers similarly.

The datasheet will likely be rewritten to avoid ambiguity in its next revision.;

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

greysides wrote: »
    There seems to be confusion about the use of Ivonec Classic in dry dairy cows. After two calls to Boehringer Ingelheim, the conclusion is it can be used in dry cows provided they don't supply milk for human consumption within 60 days. Pregnant heifers similarly.

The datasheet will likely be rewritten to avoid ambiguity in its next revision.;

Thanks for clearing that up Greysides. My vet was right after all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

whelan2 wrote: »
    You should have a kit tomorrow. I got 4 recently. You take the hairs off the calfs tail and return in the envelope. You sign the contract to go with whatever company you want

Any opinions on the better companies to deal with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭stanflt

Lads and lassie I’m going to be the school head master here and tell ye all to zip it-
    Stop bickering

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    Any opinions on the better companies to deal with?

I dont know. I had 3 companies interested in 1 calf. We would have strong connections with pg so went with them. Dovea and eurogene were also interested. Look the chances of anything coming of it is slim, but better than the 50 odd euro you'd get for export went with ncbc again for the others

• Registered Users Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭straight

It's a disgrace the way you are forced into choosing a company and signing the contract before the results come back. A lad told me once to sign nothing. If the calf is good enough they will queue up and fight for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭Grueller

First casualty of calving 2021. Stillborn Angus bull calf this morning. Heifer is up and ok so I suppose one loss from 27 is not the biggest disaster ever. Still a bit sick over as it's the first non friesian bull.
    27 calved so far and 30 calves, 29 live.
    17 friesian heifers
    2 freemartin heifers
    10 friesian bulls
    1 angus bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

How is everyone finding FR2314? Only have two bull calves from him yet but both so far have had twisted front legs. Neither of them can stand up properly without falling over. Great EBI though!

straight wrote: »
    It's a disgrace the way you are forced into choosing a company and signing the contract before the results come back. A lad told me once to sign nothing. If the calf is good enough they will queue up and fight for it.

If you don't send a signed contract back will they still test the calf?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Some of the experts on here might have learnt something new today

I did anyway. I would have voted for the other option.

I think that 60 days makes it virtually unusable due to length of the withdrawal period. A lot of cows don't get a 60 day dry period for a multitude of reasons.
    One man I was talking to last night said his calving wasn't due to start till the 30th January and it started on the 22nd. I said that it must be down to short gestation bulls and he replied that was considered in the dates. He had 50 calved by the 30th, about a quarter of the herd, or slightly more.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

greysides wrote: »
    I did anyway. I would have voted for the other option.

I think that 60 days makes it virtually unusable due to length of the withdrawal period. A lot of cows don't get a 60 day dry period for a multitude of reasons.
    One man I was talking to last night said his calving wasn't due to start till the 30th January and it started on the 22nd. I said that it must be down to short gestation bulls and he replied that was considered in the dates. He had 50 calved by the 30th, about a quarter of the herd, or slightly more.

It was my 1st time using it and I had a couple of cows calve ahead of schedule. I may have to reconsider using it in the future. A milk sample was taken from the 1st milk in the tank on Tuesday morning and it was clear. Milk was collected the following morning with the withdrawal period elapsed.

If you don't send a signed contract back will they still test the calf?

Well they threaten that they won't. But I guess if its anything like the kerry milk supply contract then you can always just decide to ignore the bits that don't suit you.

Well they threaten that they won't. But I guess if its anything like the kerry milk supply contract then you can always just decide to ignore the bits that don't suit you.

Couldn't you just test the calf yourself and send the sample to wetherbys or do icbf have to be involved?

Couldn't you just test the calf yourself and send the sample to wetherbys or do icbf have to be involved?

You can, no bother. Costs 50 euro for males.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

If you pay the €50 to genotype him yourself you can take your pick of the companies after the results come back. You won’t even have to go to the companies if he’s any good - they’ll contact you if his genotype comes back good. That way you’re not tied to any company. Not sure does it take longer though to get results

jd_12345 wrote: »
    If you pay the €50 to genotype him yourself you can take your pick of the companies after the results come back. You won’t even have to go to the companies if he’s any good - they’ll contact you if his genotype comes back good. That way you’re not tied to any company. Not sure does it take longer though to get results

I might do that if I get any more

Just cause you sign the contract doesn’t mean you have to sell it to that particular company- they get the information first about 10 days before other companies can see it- you can sell it to the highest bidder- been there worn the t shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

JeffKenna wrote: »
    How is everyone finding FR2314? Only have two bull calves from him yet but both so far have had twisted front legs. Neither of them can stand up properly without falling over. Great EBI though!

Used alot of him last year. Calves seem fine.

stanflt wrote: »
    Just cause you sign the contract doesn’t mean you have to sell it to that particular company- they get the information first about 10 days before other companies can see it- you can sell it to the highest bidder- been there worn the t shirt

When was that. I signed a form last year and it said I had to pick a company first and ICBF would then value the calf and you had to go with it. That's the way I recall it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

It could be a trace mineral issue, particularly manganese.
    But sure blame EBI if you like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Thanks for clearing that up Greysides. My vet was right after all

Kinda, as he also advised that you should have used it secondly, which would have landed you in the soup with withdrawal periods if you had, but at least you avoided that one.
    I know ths has been brought up before but you say again that your milk was tested as though it was relevant to the Iconic question. Was this not a standard antibiotic test? Testing for residues is a different level of analysis altogether afaik.

When was that. I signed a form last year and it said I had to pick a company first and ICBF would then value the calf and you had to go with it. That's the way I recall it anyway.

What ever company you pick actually pays for the genotype

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

What ever company you pick actually pays for the genotype

What's done with them then . They all hardly make ai bulls

A decent bull tbh
    - my second Calvers are the best stock from any genomic bulls I’ve used
    In the pics I’ve a typical fr2314 who is a winter milker- could you imagine the solids she’d have if she was a spring calver

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

What's done with them then . They all hardly make ai bulls

If the genomic result comes back in the range where the ai company is interested they make you an offer for the calf. If they arent interested after the result they don't offer to buy.
    Once the results are back before the calf turns 42 days at least they can be let off without a test if they are not interested

Just went to register a calf there and I couldn’t- the heifer is down as a bull on the register
    This has never happened before
    Lovely bit of explaining to do to the Dvo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Just went to register a calf there and I couldn’t- the heifer is down as a bull on the register

Thats just a form, standard enough, had one last year

Form er94b

• Advertisement

It's a miracle. The Bull went in calf.

Advertisement