Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭alps

stanflt wrote: »
    Just went to register a calf there and I couldn’t- the heifer is down as a bull on the register
    This has never happened before
    Lovely bit of explaining to do to the Dvo

The animal is entitled to be non-binary...DVO going to have to treat this with great sensitivity..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,414 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Interesting that she/he would probably have been tb tested a few times and it didn't show up on the vets handheld

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭stanflt

whelan2 wrote: »
    Interesting that she/he would probably have been tb tested a few times and it didn't show up on the vets handheld

And she was ai d by a reputable company

And she was ai d by a reputable company

I normally go through my herd register about once a month and filter the bulls, I then have an idea what's there and what should have been taken off. I assumed you put scanning dates into your farm program or was she a female on that?

whelan2 wrote: »
    I normally go through my herd register about once a month and filter the bulls, I then have an idea what's there and what should have been taken off. I assumed you put scanning dates into your farm program or was she a female on that?

Only record scanning dates if there different to ai dates- less imputing to do

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Just went to register a calf there and I couldn’t- the heifer is down as a bull on the register
    This has never happened before
    Lovely bit of explaining to do to the Dvo

They're well used to it at this stage.:D

You dairy lads don't realize how easy you have it. Tagging suckler calves is so dangerous we don't get time to feel for balls, doing well to get 1 tag in and not be flattened by a cow.
    Last few years I've been packing the whole lot of them into a tight yard to catch and tag calves every 2 weeks. Out the field then with binoculars in the jeep to see who owns what.
    Every generation is getting wilder. Bloody awkward one to sort when a 'bull' calves, even worse when 'he' calves a second time and you still haven't the first calf registered, so don't hang about with the paperchase sex change operation.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    They're well used to it at this stage.:D

You dairy lads don't realize how easy you have it. Tagging suckler calves is so dangerous we don't get time to feel for balls, doing well to get 1 tag in and not be flattened by a cow.
    Last few years I've been packing the whole lot of them into a tight yard to catch and tag calves every 2 weeks. Out the field then with binoculars in the jeep to see who owns what.
    Every generation is getting wilder. Bloody awkward one to sort when a 'bull' calves, even worse when 'he' calves a second time and you still haven't the first calf registered, so don't hang about with the paperchase sex change operation.

That should be in the rooter thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭straight

My first collection results came in. Scc @ 1112. Do I get a prize I wonder. It's usually around 100 all year. Was in the tank 4 days. I'll hardly get the SCC bonus this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

Where did the thread go with the young lad looking for advise about becoming a tractor mechanic and then milking cows? Can’t seem to see it anywhere, was interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

bamayang wrote: »
    Where did the thread go with the young lad looking for advise about becoming a tractor mechanic and then milking cows? Can’t seem to see it anywhere, was interesting reading.

Viability of small dairy farm??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

straight wrote: »
    My first collection results came in. Scc @ 1112. Do I get a prize I wonder. It's usually around 100 all year. Was in the tank 4 days. I'll hardly get the SCC bonus this month.

Schoolboy question: longer in tank means higher SCC?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

straight wrote: »

Mine was mad too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Schoolboy question: longer in tank means higher SCC?

Longer in tank would result higher tbc
    Tbc is usually to do with quality of milk and cleanliness of milking machine/ bulk tank

Scc is high white blood cells in the cows- fighting infections

Then you have thermoduric which is cleanliness of cows pretty much

Thats my basic understanding of it all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Mine was mad too

I had a bananas one too on first collection ....along with 3.5% aw and a 4.01 lactose ...Arrabawn supplier ,will be calling lab to query it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

bamayang wrote: »

Helping out Tanko, I think.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058150786

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Longer in tank would result higher tbc
    Tbc is usually to do with quality of milk and cleanliness of milking machine/ bulk tank

Scc is high white blood cells in the cows- fighting infections

Then you have thermoduric which is cleanliness of cows pretty much

Thats my basic understanding of it all

K thought thermoduric was some bit of bacteria in the plant that the milk is passing over?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote:
    K thought thermoduric was some bit of bacteria in the plant that the milk is passing over?

Thermoduric was tiny particles of dirt ? Whether from cows or deposits in the plant was my understanding??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Thermoduric are bacteria that may survive pasteurization, I think may normally be found in soil so either wet or very dry weather when cows may skin a paddock

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

visatorro wrote: »
    Thermoduric was tiny particles of dirt ? Whether from cows or deposits in the plant was my understanding??

Heat resistant bacteria I think usually for me it would be from the vacuum over flow I would get issues with it.

Gary kk wrote: »
    Heat resistant bacteria I think usually for me it would be from the vacuum over flow I would get issues with it.

Same here can't wait to get new milking parlour done. Have to wish out the pipeline weekly here or I get problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭raindodger

milk tests usually all over the shop at this tume of year got one for 19.8% water on 800 litres with in my opinion none added auto washer on machine ,three milkings looking at all the milky rinse going down the drain new driver but im wrong of course .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭jaymla627

raindodger wrote: »
    milk tests usually all over the shop at this tume of year got one for 19.8% water on 800 litres with in my opinion none added auto washer on machine ,three milkings looking at all the milky rinse going down the drain new driver but im wrong of course .

What co-op are you with, if glanbia you'll have a 20 cent a litre fine on 19.8% of your entire February milk unless you get milk manager to rescind it

Are you the first milk collected on the lorry? I get that too sn odd time, though not as high

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

How were your fat and protein percentages for this collection? With 20% water these should be on the floor!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Grueller

Last two heifers that calved here have mastitis. Can't figure it as none of the second calvers have had it and they're housed together. Cubicles swept clean and limed twice a day. If it was environmental I would imagine that the second calvers would have it unless I did a top notch job of sealing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Grueller wrote: »
    Last two heifers that calved here have mastitis. Can't figure it as none of the second calvers have had it and they're housed together. Cubicles swept clean and limed twice a day. If it was environmental I would imagine that the second calvers would have it unless I did a top notch job of sealing them.

Did you seal the heifers as well?
    Are they springing hard and dropping milk?
    Such heifers can be very vulnerable.
    Hope you get to the root of it.

Had my first case of milk fever this am- not bad for 110 calvings- lifted her out of the cubicles to a straw bedded shed this morning- gave her another 2 bottles in the vein this evening and she was up after milking
    Great satisfaction

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Grueller

Did you seal the heifers as well?
    Are they springing hard and dropping milk?
    Such heifers can be very vulnerable.
    Hope you get to the root of it.

No I understood that heifers were naturally sealed. Ya they are springing hard and dropping milk as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Had my first case of milk fever this am- not bad for 110 calvings- lifted her out of the cubicles to a straw bedded shed this morning- gave her another 2 bottles in the vein this evening and she was up after milking
    Great satisfaction

150 gramms mag flakes 5 days pre calving and any dodgy looking cow gets a calcium bolus at onset of calving .....I’m saying no more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,411 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    150 gramms mag flakes 5 days pre calving and any dodgy looking cow gets a calcium bolus at onset of calving .....I’m saying no more

Sure that lads only a cowboy

Advertisement