Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Had one of the first calves show up with bvd, anyway got her killed and waslocked up for last 4 weeks vaccinated the herd and blood tested everything. Herd showed up clear, supposed calf had a low reading the first day. Just as I'm prob able to sell again, loads of em getting crypto, ffs..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Can you get someone in for the week, even to do other jobs, milk or whatever, to let you focus on the calves. Dealing with crypto can suck the energy out of you as much as the calves

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

straight wrote: »
    You will find that people outside the farm gate charge about 80 euro per hour? Probably call out charges too? Change the rubber ware yourself in future I'd say. All that rubber and parlour parts are expensive. Our main dealer was poison dear so we switched to a different guy who isn'ta main dealer. Much fairer and still a good service.

I’ve no problem with 80 euro an hour if that’s the going rate and Like anything they can give better service than ambulances when you’re stuck. In hindsight we will move to changing all liners and tubing ourselves! The power of the main dealer monopoly is strong still unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭tanko

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Had one of the first calves show up with bvd, anyway got her killed and waslocked up for last 4 weeks vaccinated the herd and blood tested everything. Herd showed up clear, supposed calf had a low reading the first day. Just as I'm prob able to sell again, loads of em getting crypto, ffs..

What age is the crypto starting to show up at?

tanko wrote: »
    What age is the crypto starting to show up at?

One young one with crypto and rota. 3 to 4 week heifers are gone skinny as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

I feel your pain, are you vaccinating for rota ? . It’s tough going but if you keep the energy into them , at that age they might be strong enough to overcome it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Try yogurt milk or some added to milk. Live yogurt.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Did you test for coccsdious aswell, at 3-4 weeks crypto shouldn't really be affecting them, but it would be the exact period coccsidious would hit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭stanflt

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Did you test for coccsdious aswell, at 3-4 weeks crypto shouldn't really be affecting them, but it would be the exact period coccsidious would hit

I had a pen of calves 3-5 weeks old that just started to melt- thought it was crypto but I had them covered for it- I treated them for coccidiosis even though I never had it before(thought) - calves turned after 2 days and are a picture of health again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

stanflt wrote: »
    I had a pen of calves 3-5 weeks old that just started to melt- thought it was crypto but I had them covered for it- I treated them for coccidiosis even though I never had it before(thought) - calves turned after 2 days and are a picture of health again

An uncle here mixes a little Vecoxin in with milk for calves. He swears by it

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Cocc should be fairly obvious to identify (at least the ones I've had over the last few years have been) Calves will always have the tail out and be forcing mad alot of the time.

Preventative treatment is cheap and simple enough compared to rota and crypto

Cocc should be fairly obvious to identify (at least the ones I've had over the last few years have been) Calves will always have the tail out and be forcing mad alot of the time.

Preventative treatment is cheap and simple enough compared to rota and crypto

Two of the older heifers were kicking their stomachs which would indicate cocci, few were coughing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭stanflt

Two of the older heifers were kicking their stomachs which would indicate cocci, few were coughing too.

Dry cough is cocci

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

You would want to get on top of it sharpish ,could you get some dung samples to vet to confirm correct treatment .You could end up in a living nightmare very quick

stanflt wrote: »
    Dry cough is cocci

Looks like cocci

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭straight

I covered my calves for cocci today as a precaution. The vet had no vecoxan so I gave them chanox. I find it's more when they go out to grass that the odd one gets scour so it might help. Also might protect them from crow sh1ts in the trough? There's often 1 or 2 that don't thrive great so it might help that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Well these high reliability genomic bills now come with the written proviso that the AI company takes no responsibility whatsoever for conception rates of these, as they are after all only test bulls.

You get more guarantee now with a stock bull..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

alps wrote: »
    Well these high reliability genomic bills now come with the written proviso that the AI company takes no responsibility whatsoever for conception rates of these, as they are after all only test bulls.

You get more guarantee now with a stock bull..
    Found that out the hard way a few years ago, they said they wouldn't charge me for the bulls that had little to no conception

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

dar31 wrote: »
    Found that out the hard way a few years ago, they said they wouldn't charge me for the bulls that had little to no conception

But if you use a team of bulls they said, plus subs and an extended panel, it should all level out.
    I thought that was .the point of testing bulls before releasing them for general use, to weed our the duds!

In fairness the active list doesn't seem to have as many new bulls this year. I think the last change they made to EBI seems to have made the figures more reliable. There used to be pure stupid fertility figures out there for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

dar31 wrote: »

A neighbour was caught a few years ago as well, he got 6 cows for his troubles and a few more got payouts, the AI company blamed the AI man, but I can't see how he could get it so wrong for multiple herds.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was it on here last year someone said of a farmer who used 200 straws of the one genomic bull. His fertility was bad. A big risk to be taking

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Lidl taking the IFA to court, this should be interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Lidl taking the IFA to court, this should be interesting...

Oh lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭older by the day

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was it on here last year someone said of a farmer who used 200 straws of the one genomic bull. His fertility was bad. A big risk to be taking

I suppose use a good share of daughter proven bulls as well. You might not get the top ebi but you know what you have

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Reggie. wrote: »
    Oh lovely

It’s all part of the game. Lidl have to be seen to be fighting back.

Any politician caught out in public usually claims to be suing the newspaper that caught them too as part of their fight back routine.

I can’t see Lidl continuing to give the controversy oxygen by dragging it out into a court case

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

It’s all part of the game. Lidl have to be seen to be fighting back.

Any politician caught out in public usually claims to be suing the newspaper that caught them too as part of their fight back routine.

I can’t see Lidl continuing to give the controversy oxygen by dragging it out into a court case

Trying to play the victim in the whole thing. It's a great opportunity for the IFA to expose some of the crap that goes on with the supermarkets. Let's get it all out in the open.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just back from lidl. The 3 litre container of milk says produced in northern Ireland using irish milk. Strathroy dairy ltd 2 euro for 3 litres

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭green daries

I suppose use a good share of daughter proven bulls as well. You might not get the top ebi but you know what you have

But but but Genomics ..........
    Why not use all daughter proven bulls with high ebi that is reliable and make the ai company work it out not the farmers 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

straight wrote: »
    Trying to play the victim in the whole thing. It's a great opportunity for the IFA to expose some of the crap that goes on with the supermarkets. Let's get it all out in the open.

They have a point though ,ifa have scored an own goal here .Irish coops are highly culpable ,they tender and undercut other coops to get contracts ,Irish coops supply Irish milk to Lidl and Aldi and strathroy pick milk from Irish farms for same why aren’t they going after say Tesco own brand .....Glanbia supply milk for that ....do the vested interests not want to tackle them ......liquid milk market stinks and farmers suffer .IMO liquid market should be left to strathroy mostly ,that’s there business model ,maby then farmers will get a better return because supermarkets will just have one or 2 customers

Advertisement