Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

simple way to sort it would be sell all liquid milk and consumer products under oranua, split contracts between existing coops

brands have been eroded in domestic market with supermarket own brands, who would honestly pay more for one of our coop brands if we know the same product is cheaper under a supermarket own brand

coops work together on the exports outside of country why not try the same model at home

cut out marketing 10 different brands, cost plus margin model

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

simple way to sort it would be sell all liquid milk and consumer products under oranua, split contracts between existing coops

brands have been eroded in domestic market with supermarket own brands, who would honestly pay more for one of our coop brands if we know the same product is cheaper under a supermarket own brand

coops work together on the exports outside of country why not try the same model at home

cut out marketing 10 different brands, cost plus margin model

Absolutely zero chance of being allowed by competition authority..

EU legislation only answer guaranteeing primary producer a min % of shop shelf sale price..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭straight

alps wrote: »

EU legislation only answer guaranteeing primary producer a min % of shop shelf sale price..

There is something big going on in france at the moment in that regard I believe.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/government-urged-to-study-french-law-on-production-costs/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Don't think that's what we want. We shouldn't be linked in any way to the price in the shop. Ya don't want to be getting, for example, 30% of the sale price in the shop. Especially for things like milk which is a loss leader. Shops would keep those prices low and make up for it by adding a few cent to a magazine, or toilet paper or some other crap that's mass manufactured for a pittance but has a high profit margin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    They have a point though ,ifa have scored an own goal here .Irish coops are highly culpable ,they tender and undercut other coops to get contracts ,Irish coops supply Irish milk to Lidl and Aldi and strathroy pick milk from Irish farms for same why aren’t they going after say Tesco own brand .....Glanbia supply milk for that ....do the vested interests not want to tackle them ......liquid milk market stinks and farmers suffer .IMO liquid market should be left to strathroy mostly ,that’s there business model ,maby then farmers will get a better return because supermarkets will just have one or 2 customers

Is fair to say that southern stratroy suppliers are happier with their processor than farmers supplying glandia for example. Then why did the ifa single stratroy out.do they contend that stratroy are supplying the south with northern milk

• Advertisement

does ornua not supply the kerrygold brand to irish supermarkets?

does ornua not supply the kerrygold brand to irish supermarkets?

Possibly does...but it doesn't have control of all that's sold to the supermarkets..

Ornua is not creating a monopoly by supplying Kerrygold.

Possibly does...but it doesn't have control of all that's sold to the supermarkets..

Ornua is not creating a monopoly by supplying Kerrygold.

if they found a way around it with kerrygold butter the same could apply for all other products, no monolopy just a cheaper price through ornua due to centralised marketing and distribution, our coops can offer the same products but at a higher cost than ornua as they get a bulk discount due to export volumes they purchase

our market is open to all other eu producers, not sure how the monolopy works when were in the eu, strathroy have now ensured we dont have a monolopy anymore

Does anyone else still have the cows in by night. I was going to let them out tonight but the forecast isn't great so I'm happy to keep them out by day for the time being. There doing fine and eating very little inside by night. Grass is scarce enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Out day and night, will be on to silage ground wed, will see how weather turns out may have to go in by night at the weekend as not the driest of ground and first grazed paddocks don't have enough back on em. Pity if they do as they are starting to hum away, yield rising away near approx 28litres atm, p 3.46, bf after dropping to 3.7 but was in a very low cover so hopefully that will recover. Scc running around 86

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭older by the day

straight wrote: »
    Does anyone else still have the cows in by night. I was going to let them out tonight but the forecast isn't great so I'm happy to keep them out by day for the time being. There doing fine and eating very little inside by night. Grass is scarce enough.

You must be the only one in the country. Hopeless ,Grass,Grass,Grass.
    Only joking, I'm same as yourself, they seem to be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

There out here ,no issue averaging 6 kg meal ,Maize silage before evening milking 8/9’days left in first round

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Out by day here. Will leave them in at night until after the weekend. On 16% nut stayed on it all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Anyone log into the Journal call with Glanbia today? I have a fear this is just the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Got mine out fulltime and decided to close up the maize, good 3ac left over, 1st year I've kept maize across to a 2nd winter, or what is equally so likely for me is I'll need to feed it during a summer drought lol (ok sorry I had to be the 1st fooker to mention the d word this year lol)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Anyone log into the Journal call with Glanbia today? I have a fear this is just the start.

I didn't watch it but saw some comments on Twitter from people who did and they are not happy campers. Either the well-paid Glanbia execs don't understand when grass grows or they don't care coz it's a farmer problem.

As one guy on Twitter suggested, why don't tillage farmers just cut their corn for Glanbia in winter to help them flatten the supply curve???

I also saw that Joe Patton from Teagasc was on it and he offered some sense to counter some of what Glanbia were claiming.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Timmaay wrote: »
    Got mine out fulltime and decided to close up the maize, good 3ac left over, 1st year I've kept maize across to a 2nd winter, or what is equally so likely for me is I'll need to feed it during a summer drought lol (ok sorry I had to be the 1st fooker to mention the d word this year lol)

I'd take a drought over a washout any year.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Out by day here. Will leave them in at night until after the weekend. On 16% nut stayed on it all year.

Watch your nuts.

Derogation farmers need to go to 15% nut in the 1st April...

Fill th bin now..

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ozil10

Just curious if this has ever happened anyone else and how it was resolved?
    Bought a bull last spring to mop up cows after ai
    Bull was fertility tested on farmers farm in March
    All good on the cert
    Arrived on my farm in April
    Bull settled in fine
    Breeding season was just over 9 weeks
    I AI'd cows for 6 weeks
    Then ai'd what the bull was after for first week just to make sure he was active and working
    Ai man said there was semen on his straw when he inseminated
    So i thought all well and good
    Bull was active and working away
    Anyways after 9 weeks i was getting repeats
    And scanning in late september showed all the cows bulled by the bull were empty

Last cow calved there last week and i got no calf of the bull i bought
    Clearly infertile
    Not looking to go down legal route or anything like that
    Just wondering has anybody had a simillar experience
    Cheers

The fertility test is only valid for the day it's taken afaik. What breed and age was the bull?

• Advertisement

The fertility test is only valid for the day it's taken afaik. What breed and age was the bull?
    Is that correct that it is definately only valid on day of test?
    Simmental
    Was born nov 18
    Its just disappointing paying 2500 for a bull that wasnt fertile at all
    I was lucky i had alot of heifers coming through this year and ai for 7 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

ozil10 wrote: »
    Is that correct that it is definately only valid on day of test?
    Simmental
    Was born nov 18
    Its just disappointing paying 2500 for a bull that wasnt fertile at all
    I was lucky i had alot of heifers coming through this year and ai for 7 weeks

Test him again I would think. He may have been sub fertile for a while due to changes in his surroundings. He was also on the young side at time if bulling.

dh1985 wrote: »
    Test him again I would think. He may have been sub fertile for a while due to changes in his surroundings.

Thats what i plan to do
    Cheers

Have you told the previous owner?

Have you told the previous owner?

Yes i have informed the owner of the situation
    First he was understanding of the situation but today was singing off a different hymn sheet

His claim bull was fertility tested in march on his farm and was fertile and was trying to insinuate that something went wrong from time he entered my farm to breeding.
    Wasnt impressed with him going down that route but each to their own.
    Was never any trouble with bull from day he came onto my farm.
    As i said previously its a disappointing situation and was just enquiring had anyone ever encountered a simillar situation

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Thats what i plan to do
    Cheers

Pain in the ass I know but you were lucky in a way you watched them so closely and weren't over reliant on the bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

First he was understanding of the situation but today was singing off a different hymn sheet

His claim bull was fertility tested in march on his farm and was fertile and was trying to insinuate that something went wrong from time he entered my farm to breeding.
    As i said previously its a disappointing situation and was just enquiring had anyone ever encountered a simillar situation

Heard tell of someone who bought an Angus bull off a breeder.
    He was put in with heifers and six weeks passed and all the heifers were still bulling. They brought the bull back to the breeder and the breeder just absolved themselves of all responsibility. Claimed if they had another bull they would have swopped bulls. But since it was the last bull it was tough luck sunshine.
    The someone then wasn't very impressed and the breeders name was brought in in any meetings the someone happened to meet.

I didn't watch it but saw some comments on Twitter from people who did and they are not happy campers. Either the well-paid Glanbia execs don't understand when grass grows or they don't care coz it's a farmer problem.

As one guy on Twitter suggested, why don't tillage farmers just cut their corn for Glanbia in winter to help them flatten the supply curve???

I also saw that Joe Patton from Teagasc was on it and he offered some sense to counter some of what Glanbia were claiming.
    Watched it this morning
    I am a glanbia milk supplier
    Very worrying times ahead and clear to see no contingency or plan b was put in place to deal with this situation.

To be fair Sean Molloy spoke well and answered questions as they came and showed some sympathy.
    But John Murphy did himself no favours
    Totally unsympathetic to the farmers plight and came across as arrogant.

Farmers are carrying the can for all this
    Even the proposed retirement scheme will be coming out of the existing suppliers
    This is not a temporary setback in my opinion and could drag on longer

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

Yes. Friend had similar problem. Bought an AA and it turned out he was sub fertile. The breeder originally offered a minimal compensation of half the cost of bull but after few months when farmer contacted him, he told him swing for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

straight wrote: »
    I'd take a drought over a washout any year.

Same definitely. I need to factor it in all the same, 2018 was extremely painful and expensive around here.

Advertisement