Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭straight

Went out to check the cows last night at 10 o clock and it was lashing rain. I didn't expect it that heavy. Went down the field to bing in the yearling heifers in the height of it. They ran through wire and everything with excitement, I thought they could see better in the dark. Got soaked but it was worth it as I was worried about the 6 degree drop in temp overnight too for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

straight wrote: »
    Went out to check the cows last night at 10 o clock and it was lashing rain. I didn't expect it that heavy. Went down the field to bing in the yearling heifers in the height of it. They ran through wire and everything with excitement, I thought they could see better in the dark. Got soaked but it was worth it as I was worried about the 6 degree drop in temp overnight too for them.

Would it not be worse bring wet young stock into a shed?
    We'd never bring them in once out unless they were doing damage

Would it not be worse bring wet young stock into a shed?
    We'd never bring them in once out unless they were doing damage

They were going to plough the place. Heifers just walk and walk. Got 13mm last night. They were fine and happy in the shed this morning and not much damage done.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Mooooo wrote: »
    One of those days/ nights whatever. Daft cow calving messing around for an hour just to get hold of her. Ropes on and Jack out a Whitehead heifer. Go in to main calf shed then to wash ropes and an early Feb born heifer calf fecking dead in the pen. Fcuk sake, smashing calf

I was shaking out some straw in a pen of 10 calves . They were all racing around me and one of them just stumbled over dead , What looked like a perfectly healthy calf

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

1373 wrote: »
    I was shaking out some straw in a pen of 10 calves . They were all racing around me and one of them just stumbled over dead , What looked like a perfectly healthy calf

Jaysus. Any idea of cause

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Agrinet maybe?

Just for info...

I was onto them this morning. They’ve merged with PastureBase now for grass measuring.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I find the auto feeder very handy for picking up calves a bit off form. Had a few bloated this year and the feeder flagged them up. Or if they were a bit scoured and not drinking their full allocation. Not saying that's what happened your calf as they can just drop dead too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Calf was flying it. Touch wood have had no scour this year so far. Went thru the pen and found netting in it, crows have been pulling anything and everything around for nests so perhaps they dropped it close to or into the pen. There was none near her when I found her tho. These things happen and ya move on still ****ty tho.

20 bull calves gone off while ago will see how they'll do..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Just for info...

I was onto them this morning. They’ve merged with PastureBase now for grass measuring.

Agrinet is class however, while we continued to pay them a fee for the use of their platform, they sold us onto pasturebase for a period of time...

A financial venture won on the back of farmers data, while farmers continued to pay for the privilege.

Calf was flying it. Touch wood have had no scour this year so far. Went thru the pen and found netting in it, crows have been pulling anything and everything around for nests so perhaps they dropped it close to or into the pen. There was none near her when I found her tho. These things happen and ya move on still ****ty tho.

20 bull calves gone off while ago will see how they'll do..

They're going way better this year I think. Ncbc are coming to see my bull calf. He might make up the shortfalls. Maybe I should move him into the dwelling house to mind him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

alps wrote: »
    Agrinet is class however, while we continued to pay them a fee for the use of their platform, they sold us onto pasturebase for a period of time...

A financial venture won on the back of farmers data, while farmers continued to pay for the privilege.

There’s several companies harvesting farmer data like that and making money selling it on. They offer “services” in return but really they’re just tidying your data to have it neat for Bord Bia inspections.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

They're going way better this year I think. Ncbc are coming to see my bull calf. He might make up the shortfalls. Maybe I should move him into the dwelling house to mind him.

Good stuff, best of luck. Got a txt on a calf that came back at 306 and no interest, if I got the txt an hour earlier the feckerin would be gone with the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

They seem to have tested alot of calves this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

There’s several companies harvesting farmer data like that and making money selling it on. They offer “services” in return but really they’re just tidying your data to have it neat for Bord Bia inspections.

There was a proposal floated that an app, he....tch, would give access to BB inspectors before the farmers audit to look at their records. It never took off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

whelan2 wrote: »
    They seem to have tested alot of calves this year

I think they need to narrow their search parameters or farmers will get sick of holding onto calves waiting for result. I tested the first few they showed interest in but then I got a letter with test kits for 14 calves and I binned the lot, no way holding onto to that many

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    I think they need to narrow their search parameters or farmers will get sick of holding onto calves waiting for result. I tested the first few they showed interest in but then I got a letter with test kits for 14 calves and I binned the lot, no way holding onto to that many

Would you not try a couple.
    Is it not your own decision whether you keep them or not? You don't have to test them if you don't want to.
    The bother is that parent average can at times be so far off genomic values.
    Keeping onto bull calves for a few weeks extra shouldn't break any system especially when there's the chance of an extra couple of grand.
    Btw have never been offered here and won't be for a while anyway so it's not gone to be a problem of ours :)

jd_12345 wrote: »
    Would you not try a couple.
    Is it not your own decision whether you keep them or not? You don't have to test them if you don't want to.
    The bother is that parent average can at times be so far off genomic values.
    Keeping onto bull calves for a few weeks extra shouldn't break any system especially when there's the chance of an extra couple of grand.
    Btw have never been offered here and won't be for a while anyway so it's not gone to be a problem of ours :)

Yeah I've tested a nice few over the years but never any success, highest this year was an ebi of 315 but no offers. But when you get a load of test requests it just seems like they're testing anything with a remote chance of having potential. Might suit those who keep the bull calves but not where space and labour is stretched enough as it is.

Yeah I've tested a nice few over the years but never any success, highest this year was an ebi of 315 but no offers. But when you get a load of test requests it just seems like they're testing anything with a remote chance of having potential. Might suit those who keep the bull calves but not where space and labour is stretched enough as it is.

Were all the requests from 1 AI company or from several

Were all the requests from 1 AI company or from several

They were all from the same company. If I get interest in a calf from more than one company I will test them alright. Best of luck with your bull btw

They were all from the same company. If I get interest in a calf from more than one company I will test them alright. Best of luck with your bull btw

Were alot of the calves by the one bull?

We tested 8 calves here, they were all by pivotal
    Dovea and ncbc tested them

• Advertisement

We had 3 different sires here tested. Surely at this stage there must be alot of albert breeding out there. Should they not be looking at different bloodlines. We had 1 calf with 3 ai companies interested in him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Were alot of the calves by the one bull?

We tested 8 calves here, they were all by pivotal
    Dovea and ncbc tested them

I got a list of gi bulls ,young test bulls with ebi up to 358’,the list is rotten with sins of pivotal and Albert and to a lesser extent Seville ,that can’t be good going forward ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭White Clover

timple23 wrote: »
    There was a proposal floated that an app, he....tch, would give access to BB inspectors before the farmers audit to look at their records. It never took off.

Where did you hear this?

mahoney_j wrote: »
    I got a list of gi bulls ,young test bulls with ebi up to 358’,the list is rotten with sins of pivotal and Albert and to a lesser extent Seville ,that can’t be good going forward ,

Icbf rang me today offering a special offer on bundles of gene Ireland bulls. At least that's what I think she was saying, couldn't really hear with the wind.

mahoney_j wrote: »

No can't be good, especially seeing as pivotal is lhz sire and he was used heavily too

Dovea seems to really want to get the pivotal bloodline in

Happens everytime there is a popular young bull, he'll have sons out before daughters hit first lactation

Cows in today. They were not impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

whelan2 wrote: »
    Cows in today. They were not impressed

In here too and won’t be out again for a week I’d say. Getting hammered here with rain. Must be great to be farming the dry land up the country

RedPeppers wrote: »
    In here too and won’t be out again for a week I’d say. Getting hammered here with rain. Must be great to be farming the dry land up the country

I'm up the country :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I have them out but I'm running out of grass!

Advertisement