Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭trg

Hey, what are folk paying for contract rearing the calves for this coming year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I have them out but I'm running out of grass!

Same as here too. Thoughts of putting them back in at night is sickening my guts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭cosatron

Grueller wrote: »
    Same as here too. Thoughts of putting them back in at night is sickening my guts.

That's the Joy's of it. Haven't let the cows out yet. Farming on heavy ground in the west is mighty crack. Very seldom have the cows being out before april 1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭straight

Grueller wrote: »

Feeding silage in April will be alot more sickening. Feed silage in March they say, not in April. I have them in by night and they're happy out as they're in a routine. Doing about 28.5 litres. 3.3pr and 4.4 fat.

trg wrote: »

No thanks. A mine field for problems in my opinion. Not meeting targets, disease, cost. I'd do without the few extra cows myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 jonopat

mahoney_j wrote: »
    I got a list of gi bulls ,young test bulls with ebi up to 358’,the list is rotten with sins of pivotal and Albert and to a lesser extent Seville ,that can’t be good going forward ,

Ya, saw the same - counted 40 bulls sired by Pivotal and Albert from top 100 G1 Bulls. If they keep pulling the highest ebis the gene pool will be very tight soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

trg wrote: »

Average is approx 1.30 per day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

straight wrote: »
    No thanks. A mine field for problems in my opinion. Not meeting targets, disease, cost. I'd do without the few extra cows myself.

Only if u get the wrong guy ,lots and lots of good rearers out there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

jonopat wrote: »
    Ya, saw the same - counted 40 bulls sired by Pivotal and Albert from top 100 G1 Bulls. If they keep pulling the highest ebis the gene pool will be very tight soon.

Only bull I’m using is Lisduff perception ,

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jonopat

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Only bull I’m using is Lisduff perception ,

Saw him alright, used a Perseus son last year Liscroneen Alexa -
    probably needs to be put on a strong cow to get a good balance.

Gone with below for next month, matched on sire advise for even balance of traits, fertility and milk predictions.

Cows:
    Glenaboy Ronald
    Ballygown Albert
    Leenhorster E-Profit
    VH Praser
    Peak Accelroyalty
    Westcoast Yamaska

Heifers:
    Clochrua Randy Levi
    Hanrahan Royalty
    Glenaboy Ronald

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Average is approx 1.30 per day

Do you mind if I ask what's included in this? Looking into contract rearing as an alternative to milking cows next year, with new Glanbia quota and retirement scheme and would appreciate any info regards this. Loads of contact rearing info out there but Very little detail on price.
    Is it 1.30 flat rate for all age groups?
    What age do calves go to rearer and when do they come back?
    Who supplies meal, vetenery supplies at that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

Do you mind if I ask what's included in this? Looking into contract rearing as an alternative to milking cows next year, with new Glanbia quota and retirement scheme and would appreciate any info regards this. Loads of contact rearing info out there but Very little detail on price.

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

For beefmen looking to diversify contract rearing is an excellent alternative.its a no brainer.
    The problem arises with dairyman being slow to take on contract rearers which is understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

You bring up a very interesting scenario here..

The DVO's are getting very pissy about movement of contracted reared heifers, and there is a massive push on TB testing not only neighbour's of breakdowns but areas where breakdowns occur.

If they get a smell that there are milking facilities in the yard, they will definitely not allow the stock return home in the event of problems in either area....Pre notify glanbia that this needs to be considered in their agreement..

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭trg

Mulumpy wrote: »
    Pm sent

Send to me as well there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

One question I've always wondered about contract rearing, what happens if either the contract rearer or dairy farmer goes down with tb? I'd imagine animals can't be moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

timple23 wrote: »
    One question I've always wondered about contract rearing, what happens if either the contract rearer or dairy farmer goes down with tb? I'd imagine animals can't be moved?

If close to calving they can due to animal welfare
    Happened us the first year we went contract rearing
    Tb free for 40 years and a young vet that tested in contract rearers went back on 3 heifers 4 times to get her measurement and put them down as inconclusive then
    She was well known for it in the area, she got moved on after

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

timple23 wrote: »

Tb free for 40 years and a young vet that tested in contract rearers went back on 3 heifers 4 times to get her measurement and put them down as inconclusive then

Critical here is ...on animal welfare grounds..If there is a milking parlour where they're at...some DVO's will stick you to milk there..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

alps wrote: »
    Critical here is ...on animal welfare grounds..If there is a milking parlour where they're at...some DVO's will stick you to milk there..

Yet you could have ground rented in a different area and heifers could go back and forth no bother...
    Is this more for cases where rearer has other stock on farm or is it even with just the one herds heifers on farm and none of their own?

• Advertisement

alps wrote: »
    You bring up a very interesting scenario here..

The DVO's are getting very pissy about movement of contracted reared heifers, and there is a massive push on TB testing not only neighbour's of breakdowns but areas where breakdowns occur.

If they get a smell that there are milking facilities in the yard, they will definitely not allow the stock return home in the event of problems in either area....Pre notify glanbia that this needs to be considered in their agreement..

Definitely will be bringing this up with the milk manager as the retirement scheme insists the milking facilities cant be used to supply milk to glanbia or any other coop I believe. Would seem highly unfair for either the contract rearer or dairy farmer to be penalised in this scenario.
    I suppose the easiest thing to do is remove the milking facilities from farm on exiting milk production, which I probably would be doing.
    Wonder will there be an increased interest in farm partnerships, scenarios where guys are stuck at 140-50 cows now with the new scheme, might partner up with lads at 40-50-60 cow mark? Probably very few scenarios where it would suit both parties.

Definitely will be bringing this up with the milk manager as the retirement scheme insists the milking facilities cant be used to supply milk to glanbia or any other coop I believe. Would seem highly unfair for either the contract rearer or dairy farmer to be penalised in this scenario.
    I suppose the easiest thing to do is remove the milking facilities from farm on exiting milk production, which I probably would be doing.
    Wonder will there be an increased interest in farm partnerships, scenarios where guys are stuck at 140-50 cows now with the new scheme, might partner up with lads at 40-50-60 cow mark? Probably very few scenarios where it would suit both parties.

Why u giving up on the white gold?

straight wrote: »
    Why u giving up on the white gold?
    Not definite yet but looking likely, fragmented farm, limited milking platform and with the new glanbia restrictions at the 5% growth rate allowed to me even if I could get land near me, it would take me more than 15 years to reach the glanbia average supply without incurring penalties.
    Now the restrictions are only 3 years I know, but I work full time off farm and my father is not getting any younger, the retirement scheme is tempting when land looks unlikely to come on stream. Need to notify glanbia by july this year if you wish to take up the scheme. Bit sudden but if its possible we could be leaving in 2-3 years anyway may be foolish to leave the few bob after us.
    Who knows maybe was an early april fools joke from glanbia and they'll turn around and tell us they are only messing any day now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

On my children this is actually a true story.

A farmer got locked up and applied to the dvo to get his incalf heifers back from a contract rearer they said no, he'd argued his point about the contract rearer having no milking facilities he then was told " why can't he let the cows rear the calves until you get free"

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

DukeCaboom wrote: »

A farmer got locked up and applied to the dvo to get his incalf heifers back from a contract rearer they said no, he'd argued his point about the contract rearer having no milking facilities he then was told " why can't he let the cows rear the calves until you get free"
    Absolute insanity! Talk about lack of care for animal welfare by DVO.

DukeCaboom wrote: »

That's crazy stuff, do these lads have any understanding of the stress things like that cause or do they care?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

That's crazy stuff, do these lads have any understanding of the stress things like that cause or do they care?

I think with some of them it's a power thing. Make up the rules as they go along

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Now I know one swallow doesn't make a summer but in my time I've got to know 2 heads of our dvo outside of work and with one starting out in our local practice, i would say both were academics and absolutely zero self awareness of practical farming. Some of the pompous rubbish they spouted you'd swear they never on a farm in their life.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Yet you could have ground rented in a different area and heifers could go back and forth no bother...
    Is this more for cases where rearer has other stock on farm or is it even with just the one herds heifers on farm and none of their own?

Getting sticky with clean movements where no other owned stock are involved.....even know of one where farmer was told to sell his in calf heifers and buy back in stock when home went clear..

Pressure is on the dept form Europe, as results of this TB programme have been dismal..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Anyone using normal emotion paint for tail painting ?
    If so we're do you buy it and what sort

Advertisement