Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Anyone using normal emotion paint for tail painting ?
    If so we're do you buy it and what sort

No I find it too upsetting

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    No I find it too upsetting

Get out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Any hardware store, think dulux do specific tail paint actually
    Used to use it but find the FIL paint comes off better
    Could add more water to it I suppose?

You can get 20l buckets of the FIL paint from greggcare i think

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Yeah use trade emulsion or sometimes the coop gas it in tins marked tail paint 10 l id say the tins are.use a little roller with a longish handle about 18 ".

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jonopat

Anyone used "All Weather Paint Stik" Crayon? Found them good the last 2 years with less mess than paint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jonopat

A wealth of knowledge and a rock of sense - well worth a watch
    https://youtu.be/eLwr2NIx_pk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

jonopat wrote: »

Good clip, would be a good man to be in a group from the sounds of things

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Anyone watch the glanbia information meeting this morning?

Good clip, would be a good man to be in a group from the sounds of things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote:
    Anyone watch the glanbia information meeting this morning?

I wasn't about but can't see how anything but resentment could come out of it.
    In slight defense of glanbia the planning did scupper their plans. In hindsight not great planning but great if it worked out.
    A reminder to the farmer that expansion isn't the holy grail either and not all business plans are fool-proof

Gonna switch the calves to milk replacer either Eurova 26 or heiferlac. Youngest would be 3.5 weeks old, what's the beat way to switch, they are near 8 litres of whole milk a day at the minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭cosatron

Mooooo wrote: »
    Gonna switch the calves to milk replacer either Eurova 26 or heiferlac. Youngest would be 3.5 weeks old, what's the beat way to switch, they are near 8 litres of whole milk a day at the minute?

we change from milk to milk replacer at 2 weeks, full amount of powder, seems to be working alright, they might get a bit soft for a week but they come around.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Only going on my own experience here, but whatever you do, make the change gradually to let their stomach(s) get used to the new feed. e.g. if it wasn't too much messing around, could you feed them half whole milk and half powder for a few days and then remove the whole altogether?

I'm guessing they're fairly strong calves if they're 3.5 weeks old and getting 8 litres so that might help too.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Just looking for a bit of advise, when dehoring I always inject first to numb it a bit for the calf. Do other people do this?

Yes with Local anesthetic. There is a cavity below the horn, you'd feel it with your finger, or next time vet is out they would show you where to put it. Much easier on calf and man. Some may also give pain relief after

cosatron wrote: »
    we change from milk to milk replacer at 2 weeks, full amount of powder, seems to be working alright, they might get a bit soft for a week but they come around.

Just a straight switch at next feed? Would be the most straight forward if it doesn't upset em

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭cosatron

Just a straight switch at next feed? Would be the most straight forward if it doesn't upset em

Yes straight swap. Full amount of recommended powder, straw, water and meal adlib aswell. Works well for us. Eat allot more meal on powder compared with the milk. We do twice a day aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

https://twitter.com/lacticaltd/status/1377831615217344514?s=21

Anyone heard of trials around this kinda thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,550 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Green&Red wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/lacticaltd/status/1377831615217344514?s=21

Anyone heard of trials around this kinda thing?

Does he say what he attributes it too?

When I first started giving mineral boluses my scc went down. Kind of like the effect thoses garlic boluses have I suspect.
    I've dropped mineral supplementation now as I went a road to see could I do without, soil mineral supplementation I suppose.
    Be interesting to know if he has those mss swards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭straight

I often ask myself why I bother to work so hard. I think he summed it up for me there with his everest anecdote.

Does he say what he attributes it too?

When I first started giving mineral boluses my scc went down. Kind of like the effect thoses garlic boluses have I suspect.
    I've dropped mineral supplementation now as I went a road to see could I do without, soil mineral supplementation I suppose.
    Be interesting to know if he has those mss swards?

Once a day with lower yields and dare I say it less wet weather to deal with? Have had the best March in years here scc wise, only blip was the wet weather in the second week where they went in at night and had a couple of cases of mastitis come together. Replaced a electrical cable to the scrapers that may have been causing issues previously as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭straight

Once a day with lower yields and dare I say it less wet weather to deal with? Have had the best March in years here scc wise, only blip was the wet weather in the second week where they went in at night and had a couple of cases of mastitis come together. Replaced a electrical cable to the scrapers that may have been causing issues previously as well.

While your SCC is impressive I'm more impressed with your cf TBC

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Are dairygold months all normal months? March ends tomorrow for glanbia suppliers

straight wrote: »
    While your SCC is impressive I'm more impressed with your cf TBC

Unsustsinably probably. Hot water and circodine cf powder. Have used chlorine wash after a particularly slow milking where plant can be harder to wash just make sure to rinse properly

whelan2 wrote: »
    Are dairygold months all normal months? March ends tomorrow for glanbia suppliers

Yeah, normal months. Don't get the glanbia crack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Yes with Local anesthetic. There is a cavity below the horn, you'd feel it with your finger, or next time vet is out they would show you where to put it. Much easier on calf and man. Some may also give pain relief after

Used 4ml Adrenacaine per side today on bought Fr and He bull calves, waited 5 mins and then did them in the order they were injected. A shot of Metacam after the job. Easiest disbudding ever done around here.

Calves very comfortable this evening too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Used 4ml Adrenacaine per side today on bought Fr and He bull calves, waited 5 mins and then did them in the order they were injected. A shot of Metacam after the job. Easiest disbudding ever done around here.

Calves very comfortable this evening too.

Gold Standard approach. Well done!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Anybody else waiting on calf cards?

Registered on line last Sunday. Showing In my Herd profile on ag food.

Bvd samples posted Tuesday and results back.

Don't need the cards but if forgotten about might be harder to sort down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Farney Farmer

orm0nd wrote: »
    Anybody else waiting on calf cards?

Registered on line last Sunday. Showing In my Herd profile on ag food.

Bvd samples posted Tuesday and results back.

Don't need the cards but if forgotten about might be harder to sort down the line.

Registered some here on Monday. No cards back either.

Advertisement