Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

orm0nd wrote: »
    Anybody else waiting on calf cards?

Registered on line last Sunday. Showing In my Herd profile on ag food.

Bvd samples posted Tuesday and results back.

Don't need the cards but if forgotten about might be harder to sort down the line.

Registered a bunch Monday night ,cards Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Milk lorry came today. The tank was put on washing but the valve was closed and the tank went through the wash cycle without washing. Will this cause damage if it happens? Waiting for tank to wash now before milking. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Milk lorry came today. The tank was put on washing but the valve was closed and the tank went through the wash cycle without washing. Will this cause damage if it happens? Waiting for tank to wash now before milking. Thanks

The pump will probably of heated up more as a result of not having the water as a coolent, but unlikely to of caused any damage. The odd few times the tank not wasted here I throw in the parlour washdown pipe and rince it myself, 2min job against waiting 30mins or whatever for the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭morphy87

Follow this thread and it is great reading and lots of good information here, I am just wondering on average what would most people’s stocking rate be on the grazing platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭straight

morphy87 wrote: »
    Follow this thread and it is great reading and lots of good information here, I am just wondering on average what would most people’s stocking rate be on the grazing platform?

2.5/ha. But I have some wet ground and no outside block so all heifers, calves and silage are on the milking block. Bidding on a bit of ground as an outside block at the moment so you never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭roofer1988

Hi. Just wondering is there much difference in the antibiotic milk testing kits, some are very simple and fairly cheap. others require incubators and are fairly expensive are these more reliable. Thanks

straight wrote: »
    2.5/ha. But I have some wet ground and no outside block so all heifers, calves and silage are on the milking block. Bidding on a bit of ground as an outside block at the moment so you never know.

THats good going including silage, if you get that outside block I presume you will increase cow numbers?

THats good going including silage, if you get that outside block I presume you will increase cow numbers?

Ya, I'll stick to 2.5 ish for a while and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

roofer1988 wrote: »
    Hi. Just wondering is there much difference in the antibiotic milk testing kits, some are very simple and fairly cheap. others require incubators and are fairly expensive are these more reliable. Thanks

Delvotest is the one actually used at the processor. However the snap test seems to be perfectly adequate for on farm use.....keep a few in stock and just buy them as you need them

With either of the methods, make sure the tests are in date..

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

4/HA here dry land out for the whole milking season would be prone to a drought but have a 15 acre support block to zgraze and can also zgraze outfarm if needed , almost easier manage a heavy stocked farm than a low stocked farm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

roofer1988 wrote: »
    Only cows here on whole farm at 2.8 overall.
    Stock at 4.8 for 1st cut and 3.8 for 2nd, still end up making bales a good bit, but prone to mild droughts so don't want too much closed off for main crop silage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Will be at 2.6 roughly whole farm, when silage is stopped will be between 3 and 4, depending on growth and reseeding. Includes 10 acre outside block but not suitable for silage too steep, cull cows and then some of the calves will be down there. Rest is all at home and supplies winter feed. Feed a tonne of meal as well

Mf310 wrote: »
    4/HA here dry land out for the whole milking season would be prone to a drought but have a 15 acre support block to zgraze and can also zgraze outfarm if needed , almost easier manage a heavy stocked farm than a low stocked farm

That’s good going,I presume that’s all newly reseeded ground? My brother in law says he goes 2 cows to the acre on his grazing platform, would that be very tight? All newly reseeded ground

That’s good going,I presume that’s all newly reseeded ground? My brother in law says he goes 2 cows to the acre on his grazing platform, would that be very tight? All newly reseeded ground

Thats 5 LU/HA. I hit that occasionally at peak growing season and can't wait for the aftergrass to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Thats 5 LU/HA. I hit that occasionally at peak growing season and can't wait for the aftergrass to come in.

How did you get on with your ai bull calf?

Yeah, I was thinking myself it was on the high side

whelan2 wrote: »
    How did you get on with your ai bull calf?

Got 20k plus royalties for him...

Ah no, I'm only joking. Still waiting for them to call and look at his mother. They said it would be a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

When are we all starting breeding lads and lassies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Did anyone ever repair a jet nozzle on a wash down hose, they always seem to go after 2/3 yrs, (either water shooting back at you or hose not fully shutting off), thinking of getting a hansen one but they're nearly 3 times the price of a mullinahine one, are they worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

4/ha here on mp, be up to 5.5 at times. 2.8 over all with heifers contract reared

South facing farm that grows grass year round, mostly all reseesed with top grasses in last 7 years, p, k and like be fairly spot on
    1200 opening cover typically to carry it
    Graze hard when weather is right, lock them up into the shed when conditions are poor

Works well for us but I have a big interest in growing grass and learned from a few expensive mistakes along the way
    I'd rather not be that high but it is what it is for now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Grueller wrote: »

16th of April.
    Got 3 bulls vectomized this year. One of them is after breaking his rod already sticking it into one of the other two. Not a great start.
    The way we are set up we'd have a good bit of help jan and feb ,not so much in March so we start relatively early around here.

Gonna aim for 1st Feb start calving date. I'd say I'll fix time synch the heifers and do a pre breeding check on any cows that haven't come in the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

Mooooo wrote: »
    Gonna aim for 1st Feb start calving date. I'd say I'll fix time synch the heifers and do a pre breeding check on any cows that haven't come in the same time.

What synch program to you use and what cost roughly?

Coil and receptal day zero
    Pg day 5
    Coil out day 6
    Ai as close to 48 hours later on day 8 along with receptal again.
    Had 76% held I think last year to that
    Think it was around 30 euro with the vet putting the coils in so could save a bit there maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Served the first couple this evening. Starting a week earlier than last year due to using sexed semen for alot of cows in first 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Got 20k plus royalties for him...

Ah no, I'm only joking. Still waiting for them to call and look at his mother. They said it would be a few weeks.

Is that an AI company with a conscience?....Looking at his mother??

alps wrote: »

A responsible job isn't it. Lucky his mother is a fine thing. We've all seen second calvers with wonky tits and the like.

alps wrote: »

They take a hair sample from the dam to verify parentage. They may take a few pics as well but that would be normally closer to when there is saleable semen out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Cow’s 26/4 heifers all served 01/05 on ftai programme .got stung with dodgy bull last year ,2 big lumps of Angus bulls (23 months old )for cows and 2 young and a vascetomised bull to leave with heifers .was way too short on bulls last year and it cost me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Picked up the AI straw off the ground after serving a cow this evening. The straw was empty - as in the small colored straw was missing. What does that suggest to ye?

Advertisement