Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Green&Red wrote: »
    Fair play is right, they seems to be flying it if their Twitter is anything to go by. Would love to see the set-up costs

I think they said 50-60k in the Journal article. But did all the construction work themselves, which probably isn’t much for the vending hut/shed they put up.

Fair play to them. Maybe a few more might start now?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭cosatron

JeffKenna wrote: »
    What I love about Dairy Farming is looking at a cow and thinking back to the generations before her. The offspring of my favourite cow who passed away 20 years ago still carry her name, maybe I'm odd but a flying herd would take away a big joy of farming for me.

there is great satisfaction in breeding your own through the generations and trying to breed the perfect cow to suit your system.

Anyone listening to Glanbia attempting to defend the indefensible at the Waterford IFA meeting tonight?

The two Glanbia boys are getting rattled. Polite and polished for a while but a few accusations and the mask slipped.

Bigger issue is poor management in general rather than this latest we-didn't-think-about-increased-capacity issue.

Anyone listening to Glanbia attempting to defend the indefensible at the Waterford IFA meeting tonight?

The two Glanbia boys are getting rattled. Polite and polished for a while but a few accusations and the mask slipped.

Bigger issue is poor management in general rather than this latest we-didn't-think-about-increased-capacity issue.

Have no skin in this game,but why dont they just add more capacity at bellview (something like 90 acres there,is the land at kilmeaden still available,was zoned for development afaik)

Offload one of its subsideries if necessary....or borrow over 20 to 25 years,its never been as cheap to borrow,

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Have no skin in this game,but why dont they just add more capacity at bellview (something like 90 acres there,is the land at kilmeaden still available,was zoned for development afaik)

Offload one of its subsideries if necessary....or borrow over 20 to 25 years,its never been as cheap to borrow,

They have been refused planning for a cheese plant at bellview, due to an objection from an taisce. The objection is not related to the building itself but rather the environmental impact of the the dairy herd required to supply the new plant.

• Advertisement

They have been refused planning for a cheese plant at bellview, due to an objection from an taisce. The objection is not related to the building itself but rather the environmental impact of the the dairy herd required to supply the new plant.

The IFA President said he met the head of An Taisce recently and asked him what's the story? He claimed the An Taisce boss (a priest by trade, apparently) told him straight out that the objection was about making a stand.

Re offloading subsidiaries or borrowing: this didn't come up I think, but then I zoned out a bit when the Glanbia guy was talking at times. He's as smooth as a politician and I'm guessing using business-speak all the time is part of his plan to run down the clock at a meeting and get people to zone out and/or give up.

Bottom line: farmers can like it or lump it. Glanbia management don't really care. They're slightly embarrassed by this planning issue but that's it. No real impact on them apart from the optics, but they can live with that.

Tbf they were always going to get push back.....several wells near the plant have gone dry (plus the smell is horrible at times)

Though i cant see,on what grounds they would refuse expansion of facilities tbh,as its just same again they'd be building

Just seems obvious long term solution to its present impasse,otherwise in 10 years,they are going to have to expand it anyway,at likely much higher cost....an taisce are bolting stable door after horse has bolted as regards envirnomental impact imo

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Tbf they were always going to get push back.....several wells near the plant have gone dry (plus the smell is horrible at times)

Though i cant see,on what grounds they would refuse expansion of facilities tbh,as its just same again they'd be building

Just seems obvious long term solution to its present impasse,otherwise in 10 years,they are going to have to expand it anyway,at likely much higher cost....an taisce are bolting stable door after horse has bolted as regards envirnomental impact imo

I could be wrong but I don't think funding is a problem, glanbia want to build the plant which will handle a lot of milk but this objection has put a stop to it.

You'd imagine if it is held up in court on the grounds of the environmental impact, it will have wider ramifications for agriculture in general going forward .but again who knows what the future will bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

how much extra per load would it cost to transport raw milk from rosslare to the glanbia plant in wales?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Milk collected twice here today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

whelan2 wrote: »
    Milk collected twice here today.

You still collected more often than 2 days? Every 2 days here consistently now unless a change of driver.

how much extra per load would it cost to transport raw milk from rosslare to the glanbia plant in wales?

Brexit still interfering with time from leaving here to arrival over I think. A lot will depend on weather during those summers, dairygold may have a few percent spare if weather is poor but would be tight if weather is good.

Mooooo wrote: »
    You still collected more often than 2 days? Every 2 days here consistently now unless a change of driver.

Every day this last while but twice today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭tanko

Does your milk go to Virginia?

tanko wrote: »
    Does your milk go to Virginia?

Lough egish normally for uht

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭tanko

Lough egish normally for uht

Is Lough Egish not Lakeland, i thought you supplied Glanbia?

tanko wrote: »
    Is Lough Egish not Lakeland, i thought you supplied Glanbia?

Glanbia have a plant in lough egish for uht milk. Drogheda plants only 8 miles from me. Lough egish a lot further away

You get anything for extra costs associated with it? I'd be looking for something anyway

Mooooo wrote: »
    You get anything for extra costs associated with it? I'd be looking for something anyway

Yes we get a bit extra but not enough to cover costs plus having to ask for it is a bit crap

• Registered Users Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Are u in any way compensated for the extra washing /chemical use with every day collection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Every third day here still but we usually get a few weeks every spring of almost daily random collection. Balls as there's no routine along with the extra washing although could be a godsend if you messed with a tubed cow. A lot less milk to dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Only on my second year here so still learning. Results from the last collection were cows averaging 25.5 litres, 3.58 protein and 3.95 bf. The herd consists of 60% second calvers and 40% first calvers.
    I am interested to hear what you all think.

Are glanbia suppliers going to make any changes to breeding this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,546 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Grueller wrote: »
    Only on my second year here so still learning. Results from the last collection were cows averaging 25.5 litres, 3.58 protein and 3.95 bf. The herd consists of 60% second calvers and 40% first calvers.
    Twenty years milking and still learning.

Nothing wrong with that.

My own. 31.8 litres 3.77 bf 3.38 pr.
    All ages up to a fifteen year old. Mature herd.

Grass I'm still figuring out too. Could do with more atm. But figuring out things. Slow learner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Are glanbia suppliers going to make any changes to breeding this year?

Yep, more Jersey ai, higher % solids less volume. Its less litres they want not less solids

dar31 wrote: »
    Yep, more Jersey ai, higher % solids less volume. Its less litres they want not less solids
    Are you delaying starting breeding?

Are you delaying starting breeding?

No will calve the same as always.
    Would rather cut back on cow numbers than mess with calving pattern. Usually start around 27/28th of April. Suits grass growth on farm.
    Would have to drastically shift breeding date to have any impact.

I'd be where I want to be with Jersey breeding this year about 25% Jersey. But enlight of glanbia supply cap I'll push on with more Jex.
    540kgms on 6600lts last year so plenty more scope for xbreeding

Ai man was here today. He was saying some of the bigger herds are going to delay breeding by a week or 2. Is that not just pushing the problem out further?

Ai man was here today. He was saying some of the bigger herds are going to delay breeding by a week or 2. Is that not just pushing the problem out further?

Can't see how that would help much.
    Make far more sense to cull bottom 5% of herd for a few years and keep plenty of heifers coming through for when/if supply cap ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭straight

Grueller wrote: »

On year 5 here and plenty to learn. Am still on first rotation along with grazing silage fields before closing. Cows were never going better for me. On 4 kg nuts and doing just over 30 litres. 3.23 pr 4.14 fat. 2.28kgms. I only brought in 12 percent heifers this year and expanded slightly the last couple of years so I am carrying a few passengers. Looking forward to cleaning out a few laggards next year.

Advertisement