Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Cows at 1500 here, have always been.

1000 here i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Is grass coming slowly for anyone else of late? We're going to have to go back on silage next week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

K.G. wrote: »
    1000 here i think

Will there be a tax hit if you raised it? One advantage was when we were hit with TB valuations averaged out around that

dmakc wrote: »
    Is grass coming slowly for anyone else of late? We're going to have to go back on silage next week

Growth is slow alright. If things are that tight prob best to go in now with some silage so you can pull it out sooner, and not have to feed as much of it next week and it closer to breeding

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Timmaay wrote: »
    Nothing will ever beat march 2018 in fairness, we were facing mid April with zero fodder leftover, this year there is a reasonable bit kept over. Last summer I was in full summer 2018 drought mode in mid June here, and overnight it all changed, and we basically had the most ideal wet and humid summers. Plan for the worst and hope for the best, and so far we are certainly ahead of ourselves from 2018.

Ash before Oak, we are in for a soak? Hopefully the trees are correct this spring anyways lol.

• Advertisement

Ash before Oak, we are in for a soak? Hopefully the trees are correct this spring anyways lol.

Feck off!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Anybody feeding straw to cows, a few have acidosis here and was told to put some in a round feeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Anybody feeding straw to cows, a few have acidosis here and was told to put some in a round feeder.

That’s why I’ve came round to keeping silage in diet ,despite what some so called experts say it dosnt drop your protein and dosnt affect clean outs providing going into correct covers ...kept 1/2 kg dm silage in here till mid June last year solids and yields never better .lush second round grass despite been excellent quality in ways isn’t a balanced feed ,long fibre of some sort needed to keep stomach function right

mahoney_j wrote: »
    That’s why I’ve came round to keeping silage in diet ,despite what some so called experts say it dosnt drop your protein and dosnt affect clean outs providing going into correct covers ...kept 1/2 kg dm silage in here till mid June last year solids and yields never better .lush second round grass despite been excellent quality in ways isn’t a balanced feed ,long fibre of some sort needed to keep stomach function right

I've silage here but quality isnt good enough for milkers unfortunately, I definitely agree they need some source of fibre, grass is very lush.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Will there be a tax hit if you raised it? One advantage was when we were hit with TB valuations averaged out around that
    Yeah but if values should drop you revise downwards and put losses against income

• Advertisement

Yeah but if values should drop you revise downwards and put losses against income

Be a question for the accountant really. Would put 1k as a low value really, regardless of this years prices

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

It can be a useful tax management tool. But you need to be in some way realistic. Your not putting a valuation on your best or worst cow but the average. Funnily enough on the back of a good year the values may go down due the returns been filed a year later and you may have slipped into a bad year and cash might be tight for a already high tax bill. @1000 here too. Don’t think it’s unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I put out a bale of straw along barrier last week and they wont touch it. Dry silage a better option I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 29,548 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Anyone get the allocation for the glanbia milk supply thing? Very happy here

Very happy here also
    Didn't get it in the post yet but its up on glanbia connect in the my docs section

Not in glanbia but I assume biggest issue is lads that have borrowed and need the extra cows to cover it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭straight

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    I put out a bale of straw along barrier last week and they wont touch it. Dry silage a better option I'd say

Or good hay maybe

Anyone else in that bracket of development needing to be done but possible changes from nitrates/ Europe etc could feck the show? Regardless of increase or decrease in numbers I need to do work on the yard, and can increase numbers to help cover it in current circumstances also in terms of cost adding for extra wouldnt be out of the way. But for example if dero was to go, I'd still need to do work but would have less cows to cover it, and be half a man down as would have to let go of the fella here part time. Milk price wont increase as in a season our drop in the ocean will be covered by anyone else

Anyone else in that bracket of development needing to be done but possible changes from nitrates/ Europe etc could feck the show? Regardless of increase or decrease in numbers I need to do work on the yard, and can increase numbers to help cover it in current circumstances also in terms of cost adding for extra wouldnt be out of the way. But for example if dero was to go, I'd still need to do work but would have less cows to cover it, and be half a man down as would have to let go of the fella here part time. Milk price wont increase as in a season our drop in the ocean will be covered by anyone else

The future is very uncertain for sure. Am trying to buy a bit of land here to deal with lower stocking rates.

Yeah. Unsure of what will happen. In my case I dont think buying/ renting land would help much if dero goes as wont be able to stock it enough to utilise or pay for it. Perhaps just a case of planning what I need to do and go when/ if there is more certainty there. Carrying a bit of debt already and can manage relatively high levels but when the milk out the gate pays for everything if that is pulled from under you it's a different kettle of fish. Would feel for any glanbia suppliers who are in that position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Yeah. Unsure of what will happen. In my case I dont think buying/ renting land would help much if dero goes as wont be able to stock it enough to utilise or pay for it. Perhaps just a case of planning what I need to do and go when/ if there is more certainty there. Carrying a bit of debt already and can manage relatively high levels but when the milk out the gate pays for everything if that is pulled from under you it's a different kettle of fish. Would feel for any glanbia suppliers who are in that position
    If dero is pulled, what will the stocking rate be roughly

kevthegaff wrote: »
    If dero is pulled, what will the stocking rate be roughly

1.9 lu/ ha I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Oak is out here first

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

whelan2 wrote: »
    Anyone get the allocation for the glanbia milk supply thing? Very happy here

Not really suiting us here , will be applying to the reserve and see what happens
    The way we're set up atm it doesn't suit to be curtailed at all

1.9 lu/ ha I think.

If you weren't getting any payments I wonder would it still apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Not at the minute

Technically it is via the bps system the fines would be implemented but you wouldn't know.
    Have heard of rumours of greening measures in new cap being linked to bord bia accreditation

Cross compliance would pick it up I guess

straight wrote: »
    Cross compliance would pick it up I guess

Bit that's the thing, if you don't take the payment they'd have no grounds for cross compliance.

I'm sure the EPA would be notified anyway if anything was out of place.

• Advertisement

Bit that's the thing, if you don't take the payment they'd have no grounds for cross compliance.

I'm sure the EPA would be notified anyway if anything was out of place.

Or the county council.

Advertisement