Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Where is the Kerry Co op thread gone?

Mod:
    We don't normally comment on mod affairs, but that thread caused a few problems, as did previous ones on the same subject. It's future is under review with a good chance it won't reopen.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

whelan2 wrote: »
    Could be bought in?

IFJ is reporting they were bought in.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Ok. I know 1.

I'm not sure many would admit to getting it wrong in public either. Not every expansion can be a success.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭straight

Looks like we'll all be going back in numbers shortly anyway. I just did a bord bia survey on sustainability or whatever buzz word it was called. Talk about a load of loaded questions. If you were to read it from a different background you'd say irish farmers were single handedly killing the planet. Doing my BPS application this year I noticed that the department had put a note on my low lying ground saying that it is an environmentally sensitive area or something to that effect. What is their plan for that ground going forward. I have people walking down through my farm regularly taking samples out of the river, etc. They salute me and keep going. No such thing as asking permission or explaining what they were doing on my property or anything. Walking through a field of heifers the other week in the wet and I trying to keep away from the heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

K.G. wrote: »
    To be honest less said about this this the better.i suspect this is more about human health than calf health

Financial and mental health apparently
    One no doubt could lead to the other

Hopefully the man is ok, I’m sure no farmer intends for something like that to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭raindodger

greysides wrote: »
    Mod:
    We don't normally comment on mod affairs, but that thread caused a few problems, as did previous ones on the same subject. It's future is under review with a good chance it won't reopen.

kerry supplier here this was only link to what might be going on.
    obvious that some posters had different agenda but up to yourself to read between the lines.
    but at least you could pick up some snippets
    having a bad day two cows down with tb not looking forward to all the fun first time down in years

raindodger wrote: »
    obvious that some posters had different agenda but up to yourself to read between the lines.
    having a bad day two cows down with tb not looking forward to all the fun first time down in years

At least kerry clarified where they stand today as we head back to arbitration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

raindodger wrote: »

Sounds a bit Pilgrim Hill there with you raindodger. Hopefully you'll get through it quickly.
    I suppose you got this in the post too...

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Ok. I know 1.

You'd know alot more if you followed the news. My father doubled up, underestimated the work load and cut back again. Lucky for him he didn't have all the debt that often goes with expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

straight wrote: »
    I have people walking down through my farm regularly taking samples out of the river, etc. They salute me and keep going. No such thing as asking permission or explaining what they were doing on my property or anything. Walking through a field of heifers the other week in the wet and I trying to keep away from the heifers.

Next time, confront them. It's your property remember. Tell them to ask for permission anytime they want to come in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Next time, confront them. It's your property remember. Tell them to ask for permission anytime they want to come in

It might be polite of them to chat and tell you why their on your land but don't think any of them need your permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Looks like we'll all be going back in numbers shortly anyway. I just did a bord bia survey on sustainability or whatever buzz word it was called. Talk about a load of loaded questions. If you were to read it from a different background you'd say irish farmers were single handedly killing the planet. Doing my BPS application this year I noticed that the department had put a note on my low lying ground saying that it is an environmentally sensitive area or something to that effect. What is their plan for that ground going forward. I have people walking down through my farm regularly taking samples out of the river, etc. They salute me and keep going. No such thing as asking permission or explaining what they were doing on my property or anything. Walking through a field of heifers the other week in the wet and I trying to keep away from the heifers.

got a survey from Bord Bia just now on the sustainability.....I actually couldn't finish it as it was so patronizing to any farmer...if this is the future F that

Water John wrote: »
    It might be polite of them to chat and tell you why their on your land but don't think any of them need your permission.

I know ya, It's not that big a deal but I got a surprise when I saw them just walking through one day. Place is kinda like my back yard iykwim. Sure myself and the wife could be up to anything for example. Also I shoot crows and rabbits, (usually while children are in school) and I never expect anybody to be at the other side of the ditch. I'd say farmers property rights will be very much eroded going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I know ya, It's not that big a deal but I got a surprise when I saw them just walking through one day. Place is kinda like my back yard iykwim. Sure myself and the wife could be up to anything for example.

Good to see the passion is still alive anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Water John wrote: »

Yes indeed, a small bit of respect and common courtesy wouldn't go amiss. I'm surprised actually, most around here would swing by first, and youd think it would be part of BBC their training. They're at nothing anyway without the cooperation and goodwill of the landowner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Yes indeed, a small bit of respect and common courtesy wouldn't go amiss. I'm surprised actually, most around here would swing by first, and youd think it would be part of BBC their training. They're at nothing anyway without the cooperation and goodwill of the landowner.
    I thought that unless you signed a wayleave, example of ESB when electric poles/pylons or lines are on or crossing over your land then you have the right to stop and turn back any persons/trespassers??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Can’t post the link but just listened to the interview with the winner of the 2020 grassland farmer of year .breath of fresh air ,she knows her farm well ,knows importance of grassland management and also breeding feeding and managing her cows ,put mr Brennan in his box on few topics too .....

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Gman1987

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Can’t post the link but just listened to the interview with the winner of the 2020 grassland farmer of year .breath of fresh air ,she knows her farm well ,knows importance of grassland management and also breeding feeding and managing her cows ,put mr Brennan in his box on few topics too .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZJu-aDo0vM

Watched it last night too, great farmer, a breath of fresh air

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Have ye started breeding? will start the cows Monday, have the heifers coiled will fix time on thurs. Will scan any cows that haven't been in heat next week as well

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Have ye started breeding? will start the cows Monday, have the heifers coiled will fix time on thurs. Will scan any cows that haven't been in heat next week as well
    Monday as well.week earlier than last year.found i was itching to get going calving this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

2 weeks done here so far. 55% submission rate so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭tanko

What percentage in calf rate would you be hoping for with fixed time Ai on the heifers?
    Do you give them one more shot of Ai and let them with a bull if they don't hold to it?

tanko wrote: »
    What percentage in calf rate would you be hoping for with fixed time Ai on the heifers?
    Do you give them one more shot of Ai and let them with a bull if they don't hold to it?

76% held to the programme last year, altho 2 had embryo mortality later in the summer. This years bunch are showing more activity and are a more even bunch bar one or two so hoping for at least that again fingers crossed.
    Fix time the lot on thurs, will put on scratch cards then the following week to hopefully pick up any repeats and ai those that do, and then the bull will be with them, hoping there wont be too many for him
    I'll be cautious that they wont be in paddocks that have gotten N recently etc as well. I gave meal to the ones last year for a few weeks before and a week after but this bunch seem fine and they are more settled in the field without being brought in for meal so not doing that this year. Drier weather this year suits them better as well compared to last year

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Started Tuesday here first year at my own AI finding it slower than I thought it would be all takes time loading crush thawing straws loading 2 guns and do it all over. AI flask and equipment is all in the dairy considering making up something that I can just have all my ai equipment beside the crush and that should help make it quicker. Also see the benefits of a batch crush too its something that will have to be thought about for next spring.
    35% of cows served used estrumate on a few on Monday, Fixed time ai heifers tomorrow.

Mf310 wrote: »
    Started Tuesday here first year at my own AI finding it slower than I thought it would be all takes time loading crush thawing straws loading 2 guns and do it all over. AI flask and equipment is all in the dairy considering making up something that I can just have all my ai equipment beside the crush and that should help make it quicker. Also see the benefits of a batch crush too its something that will have to be thought about for next spring.
    35% of cows served used estrumate on a few on Monday, Fixed time ai heifers tomorrow.

DIY here as well, but if numbers get high would call the AI crowd to send someone on. Your right, rig something up for the gear near the crush as well be handier. Be careful of the cow behind too, of all the ways to go on the farm wouldn't fancy being found in that position!
    Going replacing a section of barrier with a locking barrier in the shed, should save some time altho sideways movement could be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭tanko

Mf310 wrote: »

Are you going to Ai the heifers yourself or get a tech to do them seeing as it's your first year at it?
    They can be tricky enough to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Pickled up 2 fr bulls and threw them in with the heifer's today, sunday (25th) is the plan to start ai.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Pickled up 2 fr bulls and threw them in with the heifer's today, sunday (25th) is the plan to start ai.

How you going to know who's the daddy with the heifers calves?

Last cow calved today. Will start breeding on the May Bank Holiday and maybe a few days later for the heifers. Might watch the heifers for a week this year, inject them with pg and leave them off with the bull a few days later. Some day I'd like to have a heat detection system, DIY AI and no bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

How you going to know who's the daddy with the heifers calves?

34 heifer's in that group, getting them incalf over the next few weeks is the much more immediate task. The rough aim would be to sell theses ones off the stock bulls, however if I'm short I'll keep them. Does genotyping help tell me their sire? I'm not going to hugely overthink it all, they will represent a small enough fraction of my herd if they do end up as milkers.

Advertisement