Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Can you increase the water pipe size and water pressure ?
    Header tank would have stagnant water I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Can you tell the milk truck to come at a more convenient time

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Freejin

Can you tell the milk truck to come at a more convenient time

Not sure how that request would be received, the same driver and he takes the same route with the last 20 years! To be fair at the shoulders of the year he will be earlier, but april to september it can be late when he comes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭straight

Kerry have given 5 years notice to cancel our milk contract. I guess that means that we'll be paid the leading milk price for the last 5 years and the next 5 years and after that we don't know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Young was telling me this evening that his buddies want to put in a rapid exit 24 unit parlour so i was thinking away about as i was milking.cant figure how these speed up milking as you need 6 minutes to put on 24 clusters and 7minutes for the last one to milk so the row time is 13 minutes.what am i missing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

K.G. wrote: »
    Young was telling me this evening that his buddies want to put in a rapid exit 24 unit parlour so i was thinking away about as i was milking.cant figure how these speed up milking as you need 6 minutes to put on 24 clusters and 7minutes for the last one to milk so the row time is 13 minutes.what am i missing

Bar the first and last rows those times over lap to an extent. Getting the 24 cows out of the parlour faster would help as opposed to waiting for them to walk out allows the next row to set up faster. Longer herringbones would benefit more From what I gather given they need a shed similar in size to a rotary, and with the extra steel work a 44 unit rotary may not be a whole pile more and a more comfortable way of milking em
    Debating what way I'll go here, thinking 24 unit but i dunno, this will see me out and want a one person parlour and try and keep the number of rows down but in 20 years will I still be up for racing up and down it. Cows not walking out annoy me in the 14 unit not a mind a longer one. Nearly miss milking with no feeders in parlour, milking was much more enjoyable, the feeding after not so much..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

straight wrote: »
    Kerry have given 5 years notice to cancel our milk contract. I guess that means that we'll be paid the leading milk price for the last 5 years and the next 5 years and after that we don't know.

Fook, and I thought Glanbias 2yrs notice was bad. Surely this is all getting to the anti competition stage now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭green daries

Mooooo wrote: »
    Bar the first and last rows those times over lap to an extent. Getting the 24 cows out of the parlour faster would help as opposed to waiting for them to walk out allows the next row to set up faster. Longer herringbones would benefit more From what I gather given they need a shed similar in size to a rotary, and with the extra steel work a 44 unit rotary may not be a whole pile more and a more comfortable way of milking em
    Debating what way I'll go here, thinking 24 unit but i dunno, this will see me out and want a one person parlour and try and keep the number of rows down but in 20 years will I still be up for racing up and down it. Cows not walking out annoy me in the 14 unit not a mind a longer one. Nearly miss milking with no feeders in parlour, milking was much more enjoyable, the feeding after not so much..

Two robots and away you go

straight wrote: »

Should kerry suppliers also issue their notice to the processor so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Should kerry suppliers also issue their notice to the processor so.

Kerry plc are acting as if they wont need any milk in the future ,yet there all their sales are based on the commodity they call milk .Glanbia and kerry will do what ever it takes to keep the price of milk low so their shareholders can reap the rewards

• Advertisement

Lol, if they throw in 2 tunnels with em and a well reduced price on another 1 or 2 if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Great if you want to spend all day running around after cows and have a ball of money to keep them serviced
    A fair few horror stories with robots around here with guys who are well capable.
    Costing a fortune to keep running

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Gman1987

cute geoge wrote: »
    Kerry plc are acting as if they wont need any milk in the future ,yet there all their sales are based on the commodity they call milk .Glanbia and kerry will do what ever it takes to keep the price of milk low so their shareholders can reap the rewards

Transfer pricing is a great thing. Sell it cheap to your other entity (i.e coop to PLC) therefore low return on the commodity from the coop and high return in the output from the PLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Great if you want to spend all day running around after cows and have a ball of money to keep them serviced
    A fair few horror stories with robots around here with guys who are well capable.

When you see the army of technicians lely have on the road it tells the tale, funny the way the journal have gone quiet about the issue and the group of farmers that had formed re robot issues, they must be getting some fairly saucy keep quiet ad money

OK not good there so ...
    One man two robots 1.1 million litres
    Abc grazing no and I mean no problem
    He even is doing a large share of the services
    No labour
    Most of slurry work is contract
    Well set up
    Figures are genuine

Lol, if they throw in 2 tunnels with em and a well reduced price on another 1 or 2 if needed

Ya crossings are a problem I'd have to do one myself good few round here with two robot one neighbor has one crossing on a secondary road didn't run into huge money I was surprised about it
    Can be expensive for the third in comparison with two robots all right

jaymla627 wrote: »
    When you see the army of technicians lely have on the road it tells the tale, funny the way the journal have gone quiet about the issue and the group of farmers that had formed re robot issues, they must be getting some fairly saucy keep quiet ad money

Problem round here is lads won't come to service milking machines there brutal the last year or so lots of lads giving out about all brands

Ya crossings are a problem I'd have to do one myself good few round here with two robot one neighbor has one crossing on a secondary road didn't run into huge money I was surprised about it
    Can be expensive for the third in comparison with two robots all right

Ah yeah, wouldn't write anything off would hope to have 1 tunnel in at some stage and the last bit could be managed away anyway. Parlour allows flexibility of no added milking facilities required if opportunity to add a few cows down the line came up. When you go to three possible robots money wise you'd nearly be talking rotary money which would be the better option at that price bracket

On rotary s, i ve 2 heifers calved a month and 2 weeks and will kick after 20 seconds and continue for entire milking,would 15 to 20 times a milking. How would the like be managed in a rotary.the way it works hereis we put on in between putting a cluster on another cow and every time we pass themcould put cluster on them 20 times a milking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

On rotary s, i ve 2 heifers calved a month and 2 weeks and will kick after 20 seconds and continue for entire milking,would 15 to 20 times a milking. How would the like be managed in a rotary.the way it works hereis we put on in between putting a cluster on another cow and every time we pass themcould put cluster on them 20 times a milking
    A trip to MacDonalds I’d say, have a long chain here with two clips for heifers like the above tie up one leg of the ground and they can’t kick, after 4-5 milkings they never raise a foot again

• Advertisement

Rope normally sorts that here in the first week, wouldn't be putting up with it for a month. Afaik the drafting is key, some come with pre drafting gates as well as post, any cow to be kept out or needs individual attention drafted out to be dealt with last. When numbers are bigger running em as a separate herd for milking then, load em up and milk away while tis parked

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Rope normally sorts that here in the first week, wouldn't be putting up with it for a month. Afaik the drafting is key, some come with pre drafting gates as well as post, any cow to be kept out or needs individual attention drafted out to be dealt with last. When numbers are bigger running em as a separate herd for milking then, load em up and milk away while tis parked

In other words, hardship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Is there another way to train heifers?

Spent plenty years throwing out ration with buckets in to troughs in yards for milkers, we all learn eventually, I was a fit minor tho lol

Grueller wrote: »

Haven't used a rope ever, or a kickbar for years, would have to hold a tail every now and then.

Spent plenty years throwing out ration with buckets in to troughs in yards for milkers, we all learn eventually, I was a fit minor tho lol

Did the same here for a good while, don't think I'd go back anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭straight

Breeding has alot to do with it. Mine were a pleasure to deal with this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Same here, its not the big ordeal it was in the past. They want to be milked, the wildness is bred out of them, its just the odd one for a few milkings now. Tying them up doesnt take 15 seconds, its the quickest and safest way of dealing with a kicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Acquiescence

Trust and familiarity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

no problem... they do let fly when ya put it on 1st time.. but they kick the steel cabinets beside there legs and it guess that hurts after a while an dthey just stop.. have to say since we moved to the rotary it has been a pleasur eto milk heifers.. used to take 3 of us to do it in herringbone parlour...

Advertisement