Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Normally we have very little trouble with heifers.but one has thin pops so any movement throws them off and the other isnt viscous or anything and won't kick when they are going on but will just give a nice little nudge to pull them off 20 seconds put it on her about 25 times tonite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Haven't used a rope ever, or a kickbar for years, would have to hold a tail every now and then.

I meant other than hardship

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

K.G. wrote: »
    Normally we have very little trouble with heifers.but one has thin pops so any movement throws them off and the other isnt viscous or anything and won't kick when they are going on but will just give a nice little nudge to pull them off 20 seconds put it on her about 25 times tonite

Just a bad habit she's got into
    Tie up her leg, only way she'll understand

Big fan of tying up the leg here
    Trained a fair few very wild jex heifers, they'd be out to do you harm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

If their repeat offenders, and the kicking bar doesnt work I might leave them a milking or two and theyl be mad to be milked. Another one is holding the cluster and move away from the kicking foot, letting the heifer kick the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What's the story now if you have a bvd positive calf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

whelan2 wrote: »
    What's the story now if you have a bvd positive calf?
    o
    whole herd has to b blooded

Are you restricted from moving anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Are you restricted from moving anything ?
    You can still send to the factory. You cannot buy in or sell until the blood tests come back clear.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/department-get-tough-on-bvd-herds-605689

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Have to vaccinate herd as well afaik

I suppose at least they are getting the finger out and trying to get rid of it

• Advertisement

K.G. wrote: »

If it's more small teats, you get one of those elastic ties with the hooks on it and tie it around the bar and hook the milk line on to it, will reduce the weight of clusters and may keep em on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I suppose at least they are getting the finger out and trying to get rid of it

Could very well be false positive ,had one few years ago ,calf was blood tested and also the dam and g dam which were both in here ,all came back negative

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Could very well be false positive ,had one few years ago ,calf was blood tested and also the dam and g dam which were both in here ,all came back negative

First batch this year came back a false positive, was locked up for 5 weeks, full herd vaccination and blood tested. The herd was clear??

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Acquiescence

Mooooo wrote: »
    If it's more small teats, you get one of those elastic ties with the hooks on it and tie it around the bar and hook the milk line on to it, will reduce the weight of clusters and may keep em on

Or hang a kickbar off the rumprail or one of the overhead lines and do the same.

Best way to use a kickbar.

kevthegaff wrote: »
    First batch this year came back a false positive, was locked up for 5 weeks, full herd vaccination and blood tested. The herd was clear??

Could it have been an animal you culled? Afaik the dam pick it up when pregnant and pass it onto the calf. The mother mightnt have it just passed it on iykwim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Or hang a kickbar off the rumprail or one of the overhead lines and do the same.

Best way to use a kickbar.

Fair point, but I've a heifer with warts and I won't keep it on her without it. Its not on tight and she doesn't stir. Some animals that kick, suit a kick bar, more a spancil (rope), putting on the wrong one can really upset the animal.
    In the main part it's only a settling measure for the odd one. A bit of plamás and patience and holding a tail usually result in a settled animal within a day or two here.

Squash them up into the row and as someone else said don't milk for a milking or 2, they'll want to be milked then. Have a heifer like a racehorse jumping gates and fences. Put her in calving paddock yesterday evening, there's sheep wire and 2 strands of electric fence in it. She spent the night and day running around the fence. Never jumped it. Got a few blasts off the wire. She was glad to get out of it this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭C0N0R

2000 heifers calved each year and haven’t sold one yet because can’t get the clusters on them. If they keep kicking them off then leave them, they will figure it out at some point. No kick bars, no tail clamps, no lifting legs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Looking at mt craniums forecast the proverbial is going to hit the fan next week on a lot of farms, heavy buffering is going to be needed to keep cows going over the next 10 days once grass dm starts to crash compounded by zero to no growth

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Looking at mt craniums forecast the proverbial is going to hit the fan next week on a lot of farms, heavy buffering is going to be needed to keep cows going over the next 10 days once grass dm starts to crash compounded by zero to no growth

Alot of reseeding done this week. Hope it doesn't wash away on lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭straight

I thought the rain tomorrow will drive on growth. Great spring here so far for milk. Tank is up at least 200 litres per day and 2 less cows than last year. Milking 2.3 kgms per day on 4kg of 15% nut. Cows are so content on the high dm grass they often leave nuts after them in the parlour which is a pain and a worry with tetany.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

straight wrote: »
    I thought the rain tomorrow will drive on growth. Great spring here so far for milk. Tank is up at least 200 litres per day and 2 less cows than last year. Milking 2.3 kgms per day on 4kg of 15% nut. Cows are so content on the high dm grass they often leave nuts after them in the parlour which is a pain and a worry with tetany.

Can’t see how the predicted daytime temps of sub 10 degrees a biting wind and nighttime frosts coupled with rain is going to drive on growth, we grew more grass here in nov/dec then March/April, totally agree re grass dm but that’s all going to change next week, you’ll have no bother getting them to eat their nuts from Monday onwards, grass should be heading for growth rates of 80kgs a day in a normal may be lucky to see 40 for the next two weeks going of long term forecasts

Can’t see how the predicted daytime temps of sub 10 degrees a biting wind and nighttime frosts coupled with rain is going to drive on growth, we grew more grass here in nov/dec then March/April, totally agree re grass dm but that’s all going to change next week, you’ll have no bother getting them to eat their nuts from Monday onwards, grass should be heading for growth rates of 80kgs a day in a normal may be lucky to see 40 for the next two weeks going of long term forecasts

Facing north here in a cold spot but I think the worst of the cold wind and frost is behind us here. Grass is recovering well after grazing and the purple colour is going off of it. Cows will definitely feel less happy with the rain alright but I don't see us getting that much of it. Doing a grass walk at the moment. 60 last week. Looking like about 40 at the moment.

Got 16mm of rain here in April.
    Farm cover 742, Growth 48, Demand 60, Cover/LU 211. Alot of fertiliser still on the ground.

Grass going well here, upped Sr to 4.5
    Was at 4/ha since late March, no silage fed since 20th of March, just 5kg meal, back to 3.5kg since Thursday

Growth of 51 here, cover/lu 170, afc of 740. Warm ish today, but growth wont be much above it. On 5kg meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Grass going well here, upped Sr to 4.5
    Was at 4/ha since late March, no silage fed since 20th of March, just 5kg meal, back to 3.5kg since Thursday

So demand of 70 going on 15 kg grass intake minimum just keeping my head over water here at sr of 4 growth no where near 70 6.4 kg meal 2 kg dm Maize silage and grass dm intakes estimated at 23 kg way above the 18 they say is enough .2.64 kgms .with wet cold weather on way a lot of cows are going to be in for some shock unless extra feed is in this week

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'll regret saying this lol, but bring it on ha. Maize in on Friday, and seed bed was pure powder after the 2nd run of the powerharrow, I've never see ground that dry this early before, grass burnt up on drier ground. Still growing ok on heavier soils. I'll admit straight up for me to have enough rain here on the east coast during the summer most rest the country needs to suffer ha. But yep will need to up the buffer and keep an eye on grass tetney and cows dungs if the growth rockets off and nothing but pure leafy high N wet grass in the diet.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    So demand of 70 going on 15 kg grass intake minimum just keeping my head over water here at sr of 4 growth no where near 70 6.4 kg meal 2 kg dm Maize silage and grass dm intakes estimated at 23 kg way above the 18 they say is enough .2.64 kgms .with wet cold weather on way a lot of cows are going to be in for some shock unless extra feed is in this week
    Yeah, spreading top phos from grassland agro the last 2 years, super stuff imo
    Haven't ran short of grass in March or April like other years, really pushes the grass on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Yeah, spreading top phos from grassland agro the last 2 years, super stuff imo
    Haven't ran short of grass in March or April like other years, really pushes the grass on

Du spread that in sept?

Advertisement