Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Du spread that in sept?

Early March, spring grass requires phos, usually can't draw it in if weather is cold and if you spread normal phos it gets locked up in the soil if temps aren't over 8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭straight

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Du spread that in sept?

You're probably thinking potash

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

April's bf down 0.15 compared to April '20. Protein the same. Solids for March and Feb were up on last year, but they were housed fulltime for longer periods last year. Litres up but herd profile changing and numbers up so variables in cows may account for a good share of that.
    Are yer solids % up or down on last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭older by the day

Not sure where to ask this question but it's about my new bull. He's out over a week. He can mount the cows, put his rod in position but don't jump. Does not drive it home. I'm using AI as well in case he is not working. Would the ai have found some semen by now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Not sure where to ask this question but it's about my new bull. He's out over a week. He can mount the cows, put his rod in position but don't jump. Does not drive it home. I'm using AI as well in case he is not working. Would the ai have found some semen by now

What breed and age is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

And what age is he?

whelan2 wrote: »
    And what age is he?

Feb 20; so 15mths. Taught I'd put him with the cows to see is he working before going to an outside farm with heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

Feb 20; so 15mths. Taught I'd put him with the cows to see is he working before going to an outside farm with heifers

hes way to small for cows and will hurt himself
    tried it myself ruined a bull he couldnt take their weight, had to buy a second for heifers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Normally over 18 months for cows. What breed is he? Do you have a back up bull

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I need

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Timmaay wrote: »
    I need

a hero?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭tanko

Rain would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭straight

tanko wrote: »
    Rain would be my guess.

May he get scorched for all his teasing on here. Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

tanko wrote: »
    Rain would be my guess.

Jaysus here on the East Coast yesterday there was a fortnight's rain. He can hardly still need it today.

Dammit. I need to not hit post by accident , Can't even remember what I needed now ha.

Grueller wrote: »
    Jaysus here on the East Coast yesterday there was a fortnight's rain. He can hardly still need it today.

About 14mm. Keep it coming, another 2inchs will be spot on. It can stop for 1st cut then please.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭trg

What type of nut do ye feed maiden heifers?

Dan O'Connor has a 20% nut marketed at heifers but is there any reason an 18% calf nut be better I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

trg wrote: »

Dan O'Connor has a 20% nut marketed at heifers but is there any reason an 18% calf nut be better I wonder?

'Heifer Grower'
    A great way to add €40 to €50 a tonne by changing the name on the bag

• Advertisement

'Heifer Grower'
    A great way to add €40 to €50 a tonne by changing the name on the bag

Helpful

Maidens on grass only here since they went out in March. Would give calves 18% nut alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

Wouldn’t think it matters that much tbh. Have to be careful with protein with breeding and conception rates but we’re feeding about half a kilo of a 20% course to get the heifers in for AI.
    I Wouldn’t bother with calf nuts for maiden heifers though if it suits better just to give them it I’d say it’d do no harm. It’s more important to horse the grass into them if they’re under target. The meal won’t have a massive impact imo.

Drinagh increase 15 Euro a ton for ration. A nice jump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Helpful

20% heifer grower would usually be
    90% calf nut
    10% soya

Cost about 15 more than the calf nut based on added soya
    Probably no difference in performance at grass

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭tanko

Lovely, what’s the excuse for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

As someone supplying dairygold, the community spirit within the west cork co ops is fantastic to see. However, they’re savage dear for inputs. Fertiliser consistently 30-40 per tonne dearer. The farm hardware is very dear in the stores too though the stores are very very well stocked tbf

jd_12345 wrote: »
    As someone supplying dairygold, the community spirit within the west cork co ops is fantastic to see. However, they’re savage dear for inputs. Fertiliser consistently 30-40 per tonne dearer. The farm hardware is very dear in the stores too though the stores are very very well stocked tbf

Bandon were better priced than dairygold for ration until the recent grain price increases. At the same level now. Agree re fert. Also find bandon store is better or the same for consumables. Since dairygold closed the local store get a lot more from either bandon or barrett agri.

jd_12345 wrote: »
    Wouldn’t think it matters that much tbh. Have to be careful with protein with breeding and conception rates but we’re feeding about half a kilo of a 20% course to get the heifers in for AI.
    I Wouldn’t bother with calf nuts for maiden heifers though if it suits better just to give them it I’d say it’d do no harm. It’s more important to horse the grass into them if they’re under target. The meal won’t have a massive impact imo.
    Cheers. Just to be clear these are Feb/Mar 21 born calves. Not on the point of breeding.

I'll probably give them something anyway to keep them going and me in their good books.

The DOC heifer nut is higher protein but cheaper than the calf nut so feels like a no-brainer to give them that but I was just worried I'd be doing more harm than good.

• Advertisement

20% heifer grower would usually be
    90% calf nut
    10% soya

Cost about 15 more than the calf nut based on added soya
    Probably no difference in performance at grass
    The heifer nut is cheaper

Advertisement