Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Grueller wrote: »
    I wasn't Mooooo. I have an 8 acre patch that is marked for reseeding so I am giving the rough treatment to that. I don't think that it will be hard to set up a rotation on what grass I have in front of me now.

You would be better to keep grazing paddocks imo, otherwise you'll end up with a flat wedge and they'll all come in at the one time

How did you end up with so little grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

You would be better to keep grazing paddocks imo, otherwise you'll end up with a flat wedge and they'll all come in at the one time

Really prone to drought. Silage ground is 7 miles away so can't turn on that. Everybody around here is in the same boat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

Things are getting tight here but should get away without buffering. Farm cover: 662. Cover/LU: 188. Growth: 45, Demand: 55. Cows milking just over 30 litres on 4 kg nuts. 2.3 kgms. They are not as settled now with the rain. 32% served in the first 7 days of Ai. Going into 1200kg covers but recovery is very good. May have to increase the ration to 5kg for a week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Cows are grazing paddocks farthest from home with last 8 days and are going on strike a bit.just wondering do ye graze faraway ground day and night or do ye go day only.and home ground by night.whats yer longest walk and is you farm well set up in terms of a central location for the parlour

• Registered Users Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Faraway during the day and near at night. Always.

• Advertisement

Usually don't deliberately move them near if they're far away unless Ive something planned and need to get done milking quick
    No Quad here,just the dogs and enjoy the walk
    Parlour is just north of centre

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

You’re last line is a bit baffling. In my area , many guys are tight for grass . Spoken to several who are feeding silage and more who have grazed silage ground

• Registered Users Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

1373 wrote: »
    You’re last line is a bit baffling. In my area , many guys are tight for grass . Spoken to several who are feeding silage and more who have grazed silage ground

Sorry didn't mean to come across as rude, just not as bad as that around here I guess
    We're tight but no silage in or silage ground grazed, We're stocked quite high here aswell

straight wrote: »

Did anything ever become of your good fr bull calf?

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Did anything ever become of your good fr bull calf?

My excitement has worn off at this stage over it. Rang up the Ai company the other day and they said they are definitely interested but they're very busy and will call out soon. He's weaned anyway and doing fine. Sold a bunch of weaned surplus fr heifers the other day for 600 euro. Maybe I could have got more but didn't want to overdo it on lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

K.G. wrote: »
    Cows are grazing paddocks farthest from home with last 8 days and are going on strike a bit.just wondering do ye graze faraway ground day and night or do ye go day only.and home ground by night.whats yer longest walk and is you farm well set up in terms of a central location for the parlour

Shortest run at night. Farthest during day just over a mile. But not too often thankfully.

Farthest 1.2 kms but across 2 roads.might be more land coming but would be around 1.4 km and the other issue is they would have to rise 260 ft as well, fair pressure on cows climbing that twice a day.just wondering anyone else climbing that kind a height regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Farthest 1.2 kms but across 2 roads.might be more land coming but would be around 1.4 km and the other issue is they would have to rise 260 ft as well, fair pressure on cows climbing that twice a day.just wondering anyone else climbing that kind a height regularly

Climbing not so bad when they're empty and full on the downhill...Imagine it would be pretty savage to have to pull the load uphill everytime.

There is a loss though, and there is an equation for loss due to distance and elevation as both do require MJ's to accomplish l, taking from what's available for milk production.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

We'd be a bit less on distance and height, but we've no road crossings tg
    I suppose when combined with milking time, the length of time off the field alone is a negative factor, not to mind the energy expended. The breed of cow would be a factor too, some just aren't bred for hiking.

I see those An Taisce arsholes have gone to the supreme Court over the glanbia cheese plant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

What are you all feeding your weaned heifer calves folks? I have them on reasonable quality grass and about 1.5 kilos of gain wean and build.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Putting in a new roadway atm, 300 ft elevation over 700 metres long, were banking up and digging into the hill to take out some of the steep inclines, have a 30 ton and 13 ton digging and levelling slig atm. Gona take 100 psi of pressure to get up the hill so will need a booster pump here as well. Cows here will never milk what guys do be quoting from quality ground. Just have to accept it

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Putting in a new roadway atm, 300 ft elevation over 700 metres long, were banking up and digging into the hill to take out some of the steep inclines, have a 30 ton and 13 ton digging and levelling slig atm. Gona take 100 psi of pressure to get up the hill so will need a booster pump here as well. Cows here will never milk what guys do be quoting from quality ground. Just have to accept it

I was waiting for you to comment as i knew you have steep ground.any idea of what heights they are climbing.look up "daft logic " for altitude very handy for doing homework on these thing and the like of water pumping.i ve heard a.litre a km but i know we graze silage ground spring and autumn thats down 250 ft and the cows are wacked by the time they get home

we'd have hilly ground. furthest walk the guts of a mile, too far to be going twice a day. My dad brings in the cows in the evening and we could be on the 4th row before he gets them all in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I was waiting for you to comment as i knew you have steep ground.any idea of what heights they are climbing.look up "daft logic " for altitude very handy for doing homework on these thing and the like of water pumping.i ve heard a.litre a km but i know we graze silage ground spring and autumn thats down 250 ft and the cows are wacked by the time they get home
    I'm in a valley with the sheds so cows come in themselves, but you might have to hunt them up later in the year to get them going. I have a smaller type fresian and crossbreds and nr so that helps in terms of feet and damage
    The water is going to the bottom of the last paddock, so there could be another 40 metres up, I'm from a flat farm originally and the difference in hardship is huge, but you just got work as best around it as you can

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Any recommendations for parlour floor mats? Afew different crowds on donedeal, most between 20 and 26e per mat, Easyfix are claiming to be the best. Also I assume that I can call them fixed capital and apply for the vat back?

Timmaay wrote: »
    Any recommendations for parlour floor mats? Afew different crowds on donedeal, most between 20 and 26e per mat, Easyfix are claiming to be the best. Also I assume that I can call them fixed capital and apply for the vat back?

Gel insoles - 13euro and your feet are on them all day. I'd be afraid of sour milk, urine and everything else under mats. Apparently they become like a sheet of ice after a couple of years and the dimples wear off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

straight wrote: »
    Gel insoles - 13euro and your feet are on them all day. I'd be afraid of sour milk, urine and everything else under mats. Apparently they become like a sheet of ice after a couple of years and the dimples wear off.

I regularly get grief with my feet, from athletics, I got on well with Dunlop puraforms and insoles last yr but worn out, but got a new pair afew weeks back and put new insoles in, and still getting serious grief, I can feel the relief immediately when I put back on an old pair of trainers that I'm trying to milk with at the min (so wet toes whole time ha). A neighbour who runs also has parlour mats and swears by them, by now I'll do anything to give me relief, been steadily getting worse last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Has anyone tried bar floor mats, the ones with the holes in them. I remember my lads saying that they were the only thing when they worked behind the taps at two large bars/night clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I regularly get grief with my feet, from athletics, I got on well with Dunlop puraforms and insoles last yr but worn out, but got a new pair afew weeks back and put new insoles in, and still getting serious grief, I can feel the relief immediately when I put back on an old pair of trainers that I'm trying to milk with at the min (so wet toes whole time ha). A neighbour who runs also has parlour mats and swears by them, by now I'll do anything to give me relief, been steadily getting worse last week.

Sketchers for your feet are the only job. Try them in the paulour once it dries up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

Looking for a beef bull or 2 to mop up cows. Xbred cows. Don’t know if to buy a Hereford or Angus or another breeed. Must be easy calving and short gestation. Any suggestions

Nothing worse than pain lad. I'd give up the running anyway for a start. But other than that you have to look after your feet any way you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Have the easy fix double foam jigsaw mats in here 4 years, they are still perfect don't get slippy and are a serious saving on the feet, added bonus is no more broken cluster bowls when heifers are firing them off when freshly calved, you'll lose 3-4 inches in pit depth though so if you have a shallow pit and are already bending cupping cows they won't be a option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Have the easy fix double foam jigsaw mats in here 4 years, they are still perfect don't get slippy and are a serious saving on the feet, added bonus is no more broken cluster bowls when heifers are firing them off when freshly calved, you'll lose 3-4 inches in pit depth though so if you have a shallow pit and are already bending cupping cows they won't be a option

Seriously 3-4 inches deep mats?? Must feel like walking on air??

Advertisement