Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,537 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Best money any dairy farmer could spend i reckon, you'd have to laugh at lads spending a few 100k on a parlour and then don't put in mats, hard to put a price on the wear and tear they save on knees and hips as you get older

I was thinking of this post today.

A well known person in the farming community in the southeast died yesterday on the operating table having a knee operation. R.I.P.
    I'm not going any further with that.

But if ye can mind those hips and knees while ye can, do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

A well known person in the farming community in the southeast died yesterday on the operating table having a knee operation. R.I.P.

He brought our cows to the mart for dispersal

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

How do ya die from a knee op

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

There's people that never worked a day in their lives getting hip/knees done. Alot of sports people, etc. Was talking to a digger driver recently that got his hips done. He said all the movement of the digger while sitting destroyed his hips. I wouldn't be too bothered about the effects of milking on my joints. My advice is keep the weight down and keep walking, walking, walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭green daries

It'd be too late then. :pac:

Be hard to get a farmer or anyone with such patience and fortitude for such a plan.

Although I'm sure there's sleepers even on here in taisce and taking notes. :p
    (Not me btw). I wouldn't have the temperament..

(That'd be a plan Gibbons would pull).

There's paid up members of an taisce viewing this forum ..... a couple participating

• Advertisement

John Gibbons ala taisce was on the radio recently debating with an airline representative.
    Things got heated with John calling that there should be a tax on flying. Yer man responded with deflection. Saying that all the dairy herds milk powder goes through the airports and on the planes.
    John didn't fall for it and responded with actually it goes by sea and has a long shelf life. And the carbon footprint is low by sea.

There's a common theme lately of deflection and trying to find another poor phucker to put the blame on.

John knows that we'll as John is knee deep in lining his own pockets he's a zealot but John is also representing Danone through marketing you couldn't make it up

he made an absolute tool of himself this evening....

Good.
    God I hope he did he's one of the seven board members of an taisce a fanatic who has no room for anyone else's views

• Registered Users Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »
    How do ya die from a knee op

Going under anaesthetic is always a risk

John knows that we'll as John is knee deep in lining his own pockets he's a zealot but John is also representing Danone through marketing you couldn't make it up

Absolute conflict of interest there and brings into question his role in an taisce spearheading this objection against the cheese plant which would be a competitor for the same milk from the same coop.

I'd be sickened if I was a member of taisce to find out John was being influenced by Danone and being paid handsomely in the process.

Absolute conflict of interest there and brings into question his role in an taisce spearheading this objection against the cheese plant which would be a competitor for the same milk from the same coop.

I'd be sickened if I was a member of taisce to find out John was being influenced by Danone and being paid handsomely in the process.
    Ahhh ya tis sad really another squeaky clean ngo
    .......... who's coffers are filled by state funding

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I called him out on Twitter a few months back when he was promoting Burger King and their veggie burgers. His response?

“Sure a man’s got to eat”

I agreed and said that’s true but he doesn’t have to eat at a junk food multinational and Tweet about it.

I doubt Burger King were paying him for the promo but it does raise questions about what he sees as a problem (farming) and what he doesn’t (cheap, heavily processed food with an unknown carbon footprint)

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Just to add balance.

We've the 2nd best river water quality in Europe.
    And fert sales are down on previous years.

And the capital grant system has had huge benefits for concrete and steel spend on farms.

Lots more to do we have to remember from where we came from too.

Fert sales may be down because a lot of yards were filled before Christmas.
    In general, things may be turning a corner though, but there appears to be a fierce belligerent resistance to change ingrained in many and a culture of greed has flourished in the last generation, throughout society.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Just to add balance.

We've the 2nd best river water quality in Europe.
    And fert sales are down on previous years.

And the capital grant system has had huge benefits for concrete and steel spend on farms.

Lots more to do we have to remember from where we came from too.

Even with all the grant aid some farmers still cant seem to get there act together
    How many farmers spread slurry at the height of wet weather in January gone past?
    It was disgraceful and embarrassing.
    Prosecutions need to happen more frequently to stop this.

At this stage I think its the only way to stop farmers at this craic.

If you havnt the nesscessary storage for a minimum 3.5months either cut numbers or invest in storage.

I called him out on Twitter a few months back when he was promoting Burger King and their veggie burgers. His response?

“Sure a man’s got to eat”

I agreed and said that’s true but he doesn’t have to eat at a junk food multinational and Tweet about it.

I doubt Burger King were paying him for the promo but it does raise questions about what he sees as a problem (farming) and what he doesn’t (cheap, heavily processed food with an unknown carbon footprint)

He's been paid by Danone for public relations.
    Why did they pay HIM?
    Because he's a senior authority within an Taisce, a state and charity funded enviro group with seemingly endless funds.
    What does he and the senior table do?
    They changed the rules in an Taisce that removes the power of the local county branches from a democratically led organization to a top table governship organization.
    What happens then?
    The top table brings proceedings against the granting of permission to build the cheese factory.
    Why do this?
    Glanbia supplies Danone with milk for their processing factory in Wexford. By John and the top table objecting to this new facility on the wexford, waterford, kilkenny boundary to process milk into an even higher value product it leaves Danone in the enviable position in the event of a reduction or even just maintenance in cow numbers due to possible regulations, that Danone will still be supplied fully with milk and not having it go to the cheese factory. Which probably would pay Glanbia a better price and thus you'd hope back to the farmer.
    Well the farmer board should see no excuse.

Danone just removed the competition through an Taisce.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭roosterman71

culture of greed has flourished in the last generation, throughout society.

This is true. However, in defence of the last generation, they have been and are being screwed on all sides. The latest ESRI report showing that they'll be the first generation to be poorer than their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

He's been paid by Danone for public relations.
    Why did they pay HIM?
    Because he's a senior authority within an Taisce, a state and charity funded enviro group with seemingly endless funds.
    What does he and the senior table do?
    They changed the rules in an Taisce that removes the power of the local county branches from a democratically led organization to a top table governship organization.
    What happens then?
    The top table brings proceedings against the granting of permission to build the cheese factory.
    Why do this?
    Glanbia supplies Danone with milk for their processing factory in Wexford. By John and the top table objecting to this new facility on the wexford, waterford, kilkenny boundary to process milk into an even higher value product it leaves Danone in the enviable position in the event of a reduction or even just maintenance in cow numbers due to possible regulations, that Danone will still be supplied fully with milk and not having it go to the cheese factory. Which probably would pay Glanbia a better price and thus you'd hope back to the farmer.
    Well the farmer board should see no excuse.

Danone just removed the competition through an Taisce.

Hypothetical if their isn't a set price between Danone and glanbia that corresponds to what glanbia pay their suppliers plus transport cost they will have milk for free in the Peak months going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

richie123 wrote: »
    Even with all the grant aid some farmers still cant seem to get there act together
    How many farmers spread slurry at the height of wet weather in January gone past?
    It was disgraceful and embarrassing.
    Prosecutions need to happen more frequently to stop this.

At this stage I think its the only way to stop farmers at this craic.

If you havnt the nesscessary storage for a minimum 3.5months either cut numbers or invest in storage.

Maybe calendar farming isn't the best way of doing things, the week before the opening date for spreading was perfect.

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Hypothetical if their isn't a set price between Danone and glanbia that corresponds to what glanbia pay their suppliers plus transport cost they will have milk for free in the Peak months going forward

The cheese plant in bellview and Danone Wexford on a truck journey are/would going to be literally besides one another.
    Wasn't John hypercritical already of the milk powder facility in belview? You'd wonder now how much of that was Danone's influence now?

We don't know what price Danone pay Glanbia.
    What we do know is this cheese plant the same as the powder plant was set up perfectly to take milk produced off grass in the season.
    You can't by it's nature make cheese off a winter diet bar hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Maybe calendar farming isn't the best way of doing things, the week before the opening date for spreading was perfect.

The rules on this should be simplified to no spreading outside of growing season or within 48hrs of heavy rain.

• Advertisement

Birdnuts wrote: »
    The rules on this should be simplified to no spreading outside of growing season or within 48hrs of heavy rain.

Ahhhh yes quantify growing season????
    Grass grows in Ireland almost every month of the year but some years more some years less this is why the dates were landed upon.

Not the outcome required there then.

There really doesn't have to be any more or at least very little extra changes brought in by laws they just have to enforce what is there that alone will lead to huge differences in over nutrification

Grass grows in Ireland almost every month of the year but some years more some years less this is why the dates were landed upon.

There really doesn't have to be any more or at least very little extra changes brought in by laws they just have to enforce what is there that alone will lead to huge differences in over nutrification

Certain farmers have been lax in ensuring enough storage for the closed periods Certain farmers Don't care Certain farmers have bitten off more than they can chew the department has been lax in enforcement of Certain aspects of the nitrates laws ......
    That day is over
    Big changes in management are coming to many farmers whether they want it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

If the lads can't spread in good conditions for 30 weeks of the year what makes u think that they'll spread in good conditions on Christmas week. You don't even get a response from slurry in January

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The peak growing period is between April and September ie. when most nutrients are takin up by grass, which means less losses to ground and surface water sources etc. Keep it to that period outside of heavy rain and the issue is sorted. If the industry is not willing to adopt such simple measures then it has only itself to blame for coming under a negative spotlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

If the lads can't spread in good conditions for 30 weeks of the year what makes u think that they'll spread in good conditions on Christmas week. You don't even get a response from slurry in January

Well anybody who spread slurry in excellant slurry spreading conditions in Janurary this year got an excellant response with grass growth better growth then any slurry spread in feb,march and april so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

Within 48 hrs of rain? What country are you in? Contractors would be fairly busy on the dry day. Scientific advice says its best to spread on a damp overcast day. Cant believe some of the farmer bashing comments on here.

Certain farmers have been lax in ensuring enough storage for the closed periods Certain farmers Don't care Certain farmers have bitten off more than they can chew the department has been lax in enforcement of Certain aspects of the nitrates laws ......
    That day is over
    Big changes in management are coming to many farmers whether they want it or not
    You have the closed period which everyone should have storage for. Then you have a month or so after when the weather is crap and tanks are full. It doesn't work

The peak growing period is between April and September ie. when most nutrients are takin up by grass, which means less losses to ground and surface water sources etc. Keep it to that period outside of heavy rain and the issue is sorted. If the industry is not willing to adopt such simple measures then it has only itself to blame for coming under a negative spotlight.

I'm afraid that is the view point of someone with either a extreme view or an uneducated one from the an animal welfare point of view I expected better from you

cute geoge wrote: »
    Well anybody who spread slurry in excellant slurry spreading conditions in Janurary this year got an excellant response with grass growth better growth then any slurry spread in feb,march and april so far

Yes it's a very weather dependent, region dependent, and even soil type dependent as to the effects on grass growth as you say there was a decent response to early applications in January this year....which of course was legally spread within the rules in 99% of farms the 1 % are the problem same in most areas of society

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    You have the closed period which everyone should have storage for. Then you have a month or so after when the weather is crap and tanks are full. It doesn't work

Yes whelan dead right it does seem that way but we are actually supposed to have more storage space than the closed periods of the various regions I. Not saying that I know all the answers or even any of them but there's going t o be changes

Advertisement