Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Pull up the ladder and shut the door??
    It’s a Coop!

It’s a good example of how little thought and planning went into expansion.

Yes and also the advice from our leading advisory service ,full throttle with spring milk ye produce it and don’t worry about processing snd selling it ....I and others bought this up at many events and just lip service paid to it .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Yes and also the advice from our leading advisory service ,full throttle with spring milk ye produce it and don’t worry about processing snd selling it ....I and others bought this up at many events and just lip service paid to it .

Don't worry about the markets. You supply the milk and we'll move it. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

whelan2 wrote: »
    Don't worry about the markets. You supply the milk and we'll move it. ..

Well that is what the board members are paid handsomely for

I personally don't regret any of the expansion I've done or leaving winter milk to go full spring calving

I'd rather milk 15 less cows than run an autumn herd

Well that is what the board members are paid handsomely for

I personally don't regret any of the expansion I've done or leaving winter milk to go full spring calving

I'd rather milk 15 less cows than run an autumn herd

It’s part of there job but ultimately it’s otnua and coop management ,a hell of a lot of them are letting us down and Tegasc just have had there head in the sand as regards there advice ,if any way forward thinking they should of been ahead of the game and been far more proactive on there advice considering all the environmental stuff now in front of us .....the horse has bolted and the farmer picks up the tab .this an taisce issue won’t go away and is going to have massive consequences for Glanbia suppliers and pretty soon other coops because you can bet your bottom dollar ant other coop or large scale units will catch there Attention too
    Millions has been invested now in ss to cover a spring peak the cows are there more coming and also more milk from maturing herds and better farm practices ,things will get ugly I’ll bet the smart efficient guys will be looking at more early and late milk from now on rather than more spring milk
    How do you feel about paying a penalty on peak milk every year snd most likely the cost of dumping it as well if it can’t be processed the way things stand I wouldn’t be paying lip service to that thought

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

Alot of the water quality issues etc are caused by guys following Teagasc advice and overloading the milking platform. Zero grazing and the like. Recently they attempted to limit the stocking rate to 3.3 but there was uproar so the can was kicked down the road. I'm one of the family farms with 70-80 cows. If they cut derogation and make my farm unviable I'll be just as happy going back to the 39hr week and I'd say my wife would be delighted with the news. Having said all that, my neighbour is selling up and I have the opportunity to increase the size of my milking block if I feel like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

I think its unfair to lay the blame solely on new entrants I think, most of the extra milk has come from existing suppliers..I believe the unlimited expansion allowed was the biggest mistake, but the damage is done now..plenty of lads have got totally carried away I feel..no harm in lads expanding to make there farms more efficient and viable, but examples like going from 50 to 400, or 70 to 600 cows are only a couple of cases I know of..the milking platform hasn't increased in line with cow numbers in lots of cases.
    Dunno was it all necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,533 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

This is the teagasc study of three different soil types and farming systems.
    It's very detailed and well presented.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Jordan5/status/1393277865039441927?s=20

I think its unfair to lay the blame solely on new entrants I think, most of the extra milk has come from existing suppliers..I believe the unlimited expansion allowed was the biggest mistake, but the damage is done now..plenty of lads have got totally carried away I feel..no harm in lads expanding to make there farms more efficient and viable, but examples like going from 50 to 400, or 70 to 600 cows are only a couple of cases I know of..the milking platform hasn't increased in line with cow numbers in lots of cases.
    Dunno was it all necessary.

No one is saying it’s new entrants fault ,the time has come or maby passed to turn them down now as new suppliers existing suppliers and guys who built up the coop and came thru the quota era need there interests protected first

No one is saying it’s new entrants fault ,the time has come or maby passed to turn them down now as new suppliers existing suppliers and guys who built up the coop and came thru the quota era need there interests protected first

Exactly until we know where we are going forward new entrants should be put on hold. I'm not saying that lightly as we all started sonewhere. , but we need to be prioritised

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭green daries

New entrants should all have had to pay a levey above and beyond what existing members paid

• Advertisement

New entrants should all have had to pay a levey above and beyond what existing members paid

When I started off I bought quota at £2 a gallon. Had to build a separate milking unit to my home farm. What do new entrants pay now?

When I started off I bought quota at £2 a gallon. Had to build a separate milking unit to my home farm. What do new entrants pay now?

Ya same here and there was plenty more like us

Absolutely I agree there should be no new entrants now, but likewise 2nd and 3rd units for existing suppliers should be stopped...I also think the 2.5 percent allowance should be cut beyond a certain volumn.

Absolutely I agree there should be no new entrants now, but likewise 2nd and 3rd units for existing suppliers should be stopped...I also think the 2.5 percent allowance should be cut beyond a certain volumn.

Ya its where your getting into an industrial type system of farming then it will only lead to hardship nobody can say running a couple of LARGE dairy farms Is family farming

• Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Maybe we should burn the milk and convert to bio char and spread over the land

They are stipulating new entrants need to be coop members, 1000 shares I believe..I understand where you are coming from, my father applied for quota every time he could but was offered very little and bought what he could..would have bought more if he was ave ofered it..

We haven't access to much land here which has been a quota for me, and now that a couple of opportunities are arising for me on that front, this peak supply has come in..
    Meanwhile not too far away a farm has been bought by people who never milked a cow in there life and are supplying glanbia and I know of another new entrant next year not too far away.
    So believe me I'm fairly peed off with it.

Is milk good for the land?

kevthegaff wrote: »

:D

Is milk good for the land?

Not sure I think it might be, but if it runs into water it's more polluting than slurry I believe..

Would you settle for burning the milk supply agreement instead??

• Advertisement

Not sure I think it might be, but if it runs into water it's more polluting than slurry I believe..

Milk is one of the worst pollutants

We could have a big bonfire.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I have a feeling this will not be an issue in another couple of years.tht root of this problem is at some point in the past farmers lost control of their milk processor and now they will never be able to control it.

We could have a big bonfire.

4500 would b a decent blaze

4500 would b a decent blaze

Wonder would an taisce object

They are stipulating new entrants need to be coop members, 1000 shares I believe..I understand where you are coming from, my father applied for quota every time he could but was offered very little and bought what he could..would have bought more if he was ave ofered it..

We haven't access to much land here which has been a quota for me, and now that a couple of opportunities are arising for me on that front, this peak supply has come in..
    Meanwhile not too far away a farm has been bought by people who never milked a cow in there life and are supplying glanbia and I know of another new entrant next year not too far away.
    So believe me I'm fairly peed off with it.

Ya totally understand and agree but we are all coop members and have to buy shares etc

Wonder would an taisce object

Haha ah no they seem easy going enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

It’s part of there job but ultimately it’s otnua and coop management ,a hell of a lot of them are letting us down and Tegasc just have had there head in the sand as regards there advice ,if any way forward thinking they should of been ahead of the game and been far more proactive on there advice considering all the environmental stuff now in front of us .....the horse has bolted and the farmer picks up the tab .this an taisce issue won’t go away and is going to have massive consequences for Glanbia suppliers and pretty soon other coops because you can bet your bottom dollar ant other coop or large scale units will catch there Attention too
    Millions has been invested now in ss to cover a spring peak the cows are there more coming and also more milk from maturing herds and better farm practices ,things will get ugly I’ll bet the smart efficient guys will be looking at more early and late milk from now on rather than more spring milk
    How do you feel about paying a penalty on peak milk every year snd most likely the cost of dumping it as well if it can’t be processed the way things stand I wouldn’t be paying lip service to that thought

Sure didn't I say I'd milk less cows and stick to thr litres were allowed instead if giving myself more work by calving autumn cows to increase our supply

Sure didn't I say I'd milk less cows and stick to thr litres were allowed instead if giving myself more work by calving autumn cows to increase our supply

Rather milk 15 less cows than calve cows in autumn I believe ....would u milk 15/20 or more l les cows than your currently milking in spring milk is what I’m getting at ,like most I’m sure u have financial commitments to meet and expanded based on bern able to milk that number ....milking less cows ,selling less milk might not be viable for lots .no issue supplying more milk at shoulders and there’s winter schemes and early /late bonuses for it in a lot of coops it’s an avenue that’ll have to be explored for many

• Advertisement

I'm getting a loan atm through milk flex, ma is required tho!!

Advertisement