Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭green daries

Grueller wrote: »
    Quick query lads on an automatic scraper. I have a control box with the capacity to run 3 scrapers but I only have 2 scrapers on it. I am thinking of putting in a 3rd one but it will be 30 metres from the electronic control panel and hydraulic power pack to the scraper. Is there any issue with going that far?
    Is that a direct line from scraper control box if so it's a bit far

• Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What length is the passage you will be scraping

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

https://youtu.be/sGG-A80Tl5g something interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

cjpm wrote: »
    I've a query regarding Milking parlour exit layout.... Normally the cows would exit to the left through the drafting gate and then out to the paddocks. Crush etc would be on the left.

However it would suit better to leave them out to the right if they are housed and heading straight back to the shed.

Would there be any issue with this??

They could get back to the shed if they went to the left, it just means that they would have to cross the back of the holding yard. Not ideal i know.....

no issue at all, our exit is to the right, we used to exit to left on old parlor, took cows 2 days to get used to change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

no issue at all, our exit is to the right, we used to exit to left on old parlor, took cows 2 days to get used to change

Thanks for the reply.

I just mean that in the Autumn and Spring depending on the weather they might be going left in the morning and right in the evening, and it could be vise versa the following day. During the winter the would be constantly going one direction, right, and the same during the summer - left.

Opinions very much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Thanks for the reply.

I just mean that in the Autumn and Spring depending on the weather they might be going left in the morning and right in the evening, and it could be vise versa the following day. During the winter the would be constantly going one direction, right, and the same during the summer - left.

Opinions very much appreciated.

They leave both sides in mine depending on the paddock they’re going to, no issue whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Is that a direct line from scraper control box if so it's a bit far

Ya a direct line plumbed from the hydraulic power pack

Ya a direct line plumbed from the hydraulic power pack

Ya I also meant straight line as in as the crow flies cause sometimes pipes can be carried over head to shorten the distance at thirty meters its slightly to far a lot of the crowds fitting can come up with good second hand units and bang in a new passage and saddle

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Quick query lads on an automatic scraper. I have a control box with the capacity to run 3 scrapers but I only have 2 scrapers on it. I am thinking of putting in a 3rd one but it will be 30 metres from the electronic control panel and hydraulic power pack to the scraper. Is there any issue with going that far?
    Its cold weather catches you ,maybe if the pipe sizes were bigger but the farther away the slower they get but it should work

K.G. wrote: »
    Its cold weather catches you ,maybe if the pipe sizes were bigger but the farther away the slower they get but it should work

I’d be thinking the same. 32 oil is better in cold temps. If the normal pipes are 1/2”, then go to 5/8”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Jesus jay that sound horrible . Having serious act issues at the moment and have been using a cloride wash once weekly to keep things right would put 2 washes threw after . After hearing what your going threw think Ill have to come up with a better solution . On the mastitis front farm I took over had similar issues on the mastitis front last year was a mixture of uberius and auerus . I put in a separate spray line with droppers for persidic acid and marked up any cows that didn't pass the CMT post calving or had a case of mastitis and spray their cluster when they come off . More than halved the scc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Jesus jay that sound horrible . Having serious act issues at the moment and have been using a cloride wash once weekly to keep things right would put 2 washes threw after . After hearing what your going threw think Ill have to come up with a better solution . On the mastitis front farm I took over had similar issues on the mastitis front last year was a mixture of uberius and auerus . I put in a separate spray line with droppers for persidic acid and marked up any cows that didn't pass the CMT post calving or had a case of mastitis and spray their cluster when they come off . More than halved the scc

the latest kicker is purchased a drum of peracitic acid saturday, that i used and washing the parlour out this morning noticed the expiry date was october 2020, anyone have a idea what the penelties for a agristore stocking and selling expired chemicals is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

We're going 30 m here indoors, and the pipes are going up and down and right angles, the odd slow down a frosty morning, but no bother otherwise. If the pipes were under ground it wouldn't be an issue.

I've another milking parlour related question and would appreciate any opinions...

Where do you drain the pit of your parlour into?

I was planning on running mine into the slatted tank under the holding yard, however I'd be losing about 3' of storage due to the levels so its a bit of a no go.

How do guys with sump pumps get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

I've another milking parlour related question and would appreciate any opinions...

I was planning on running mine into the slatted tank under the holding yard, however I'd be losing about 3' of storage due to the levels so its a bit of a no go.

Had to put in sump pump here because of levels. Flows into 200 litre barrel and pumped out. Good success empty with slurry tank twice a year to take heavier dung

We're going 30 m here indoors, and the pipes are going up and down and right angles, the odd slow down a frosty morning, but no bother otherwise. If the pipes were under ground it wouldn't be an issue.

I can't go underground but can go a straight line along shed wallplates. If cold is a problem pipe insulation might help.

Sump pump here and no problems a year and a half in. Just don't leave any debris around the pit floor to wash into the sump like cow tail clippings, ankle bands, insulation tape etc as they will clog the impeller.

What make of scrapers have you got as a matter of interest cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

Fair cold this morning again ffs

What make of scrapers have you got as a matter of interest cheers

Dairymaster, they were put in a long time ago, the only original parts are the tracks and some of the hoses!

I put in Alfco saddles about 10 years back when the originals were down, I hated that sliding tongue and sensor system, it could break all round it.

• Advertisement

Dairymaster, they were put in a long time ago, the only original parts are the tracks and some of the hoses!

I put in Alfco saddles about 10 years back when the originals were down, I hated that sliding tongue and sensor system, it could break all round it.
    You should see the new ones complete scutter altogether the older dairymaster ones seem to have been good
    What is the difference in the alfco ones

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Doing cubicles into a straw bedded shed this year trying to design it out It was a 6 span slatted shed with a passageway down the middle and the other side being a straw bedded shed. Plan now is to cubicle everything inside up to the tank and feed on the outside. Now usually youd see cubicles in sheds like that being built in say horizontally so say maybe 2 double rows of cubicles but thatd mean id have to do another tank on the side of the shed. The way im thinking is cubicles on the length with everything being scraped into the tank so say maybe 6 rows of cubicles. That way il be able to seperate milking cows and dry cows in the winter too. Would there be any disadvantages to this over having them horizontally? Would the cubicle manufacturers the likes of O donovans or O donnells come out to help me design the shed if i was buying the cubicles from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭cosatron

Mf310 wrote: »
    Doing cubicles into a straw bedded shed this year trying to design it out It was a 6 span slatted shed with a passageway down the middle and the other side being a straw bedded shed. Plan now is to cubicle everything inside up to the tank and feed on the outside. Now usually youd see cubicles in sheds like that being built in say horizontally so say maybe 2 double rows of cubicles but thatd mean id have to do another tank on the side of the shed. The way im thinking is cubicles on the length with everything being scraped into the tank so say maybe 6 rows of cubicles. That way il be able to seperate milking cows and dry cows in the winter too. Would there be any disadvantages to this over having them horizontally? Would the cubicle manufacturers the likes of O donovans or O donnells come out to help me design the shed if i was buying the cubicles from them?

Sketch up what you have and let us have a look. There is some shrewd operators on this forum who would be more help to you than the sales rep. Make sure you have enough room from the back of the cow that's feeding so that a cow coming down of a cubicle wont bump into her. We used a 16ft 6 slat to avoid this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭White Clover

How are you fixed for feed space?

How are you fixed for feed space?

Using both sides of slatted tank atm for buffer feeding and tight at tight. The more feed space I can gain the better so also considering feeding on the far side of this 6 span shed across the other 6 spans but then im thinking of scrapers and how would I manage it that way , a few different variables in this to be thinking about

cosatron wrote: »
    Sketch up what you have and let us have a look. There is some shrewd operators on this forum who would be more help to you than the sales rep. Make sure you have enough room from the back of the cow that's feeding so that a cow coming down of a cubicle wont bump into her. We used a 16ft 6 slat to avoid this.

Quick sketch there at that of my sorta plan , its a 16’6 slat tank also used as collecting yard for milking so the way im thinking is il be able to use the bottom half of cubicles for milking and leave the top half still as they are for feeding. Thanks for advice re feeding iv left 3.7M from barrier back to cubicle on the side feeding barrier. Going by my sketch thats fitting 81 cubicles into that shed. From looking at orher sheds id be thinking my measurements are a bit off and I should be able to fit closer to 100 cubicles into the shed. I’ve marked where the pillars are in the shed if you look closely you can make out what the shed is now with where the feeding passage is and where the straw bed is. I dont like losing the feed passage but I think its my best option and there seems to be no issue with lads feeding outside.
    Any more comments on this much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭cosatron

Quick sketch there at that of my sorta plan , its a 16’6 slat tank also used as collecting yard for milking so the way im thinking is il be able to use the bottom half of cubicles for milking and leave the top half still as they are for feeding. Thanks for advice re feeding iv left 3.7M from barrier back to cubicle on the side feeding barrier. Going by my sketch thats fitting 81 cubicles into that shed. From looking at orher sheds id be thinking my measurements are a bit off and I should be able to fit closer to 100 cubicles into the shed. I’ve marked where the pillars are in the shed if you look closely you can make out what the shed is now with where the feeding passage is and where the straw bed is. I dont like losing the feed passage but I think its my best option and there seems to be no issue with lads feeding outside.
    Any more comments on this much appreciated

try and put cubicles against both end walls, so that the scrapers are cleaning behind 2 rows of cubicles and keep the passage between cubicles plenty wide. Another thing is slurry storage. 0.33m cube per week is the rule of thumb from teagasc and you have the washings from the parlour aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

jaymla627 wrote: »
    cows will be getting sold here next week by the look of things, had a failure for clorates due to using a certain teat-dip and we found a cracked pipe on tank for peracetic pump, need 3 clear tests of zero clorates before they will consider taking milk, last test was 3 which is perfectly acceptable for manufacturing milk not destined for baby formula, entire parlour was dismantled today and all rubberware replaced to hopefully solve the problem....
    A lad wouldn't want to be suffering from mental health issues after the week im having

Any update?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Put one of the Fr bulls in with the cows this morning, haven't seen activity in 2 days but with weather cat it's more a case of them not exhibiting it I'd say. Today is the start of week 5, seem to always have a bit of a gap in March so hopefully this will help. Will follow him with beef straws or if things get too busy again I'll pull him out as will need him to stay fit

• Advertisement

You should see the new ones complete scutter altogether the older dairymaster ones seem to have been good
    What is the difference in the alfco ones

The tongue mechanism in the Alfco is a simple bolt and tongue that lifts the scraper and reverses when it meets too much resistance. Dairypower is the same afaik.
    The Dairymaster will only turn when the plate slides at track end, and will otherwise bend, burst or break whatever it meets if the sensors aren't working, which they often aren't, and one only finds out when one finds a mess, in my experience.

Advertisement