Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

cosatron wrote: »
    Sketch up what you have and let us have a look. There is some shrewd operators on this forum who would be more help to you than the sales rep. Make sure you have enough room from the back of the cow that's feeding so that a cow coming down of a cubicle wont bump into her. We used a 16ft 6 slat to avoid this.

Also maybe you could ask to have a discussion group meeting at your place, you'd be surprised what nuggets of advice you would get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭green daries

The tongue mechanism in the Alfco is a simple bolt and tongue that lifts the scraper and reverses when it meets too much resistance. Dairypower is the same afaik.
    The Dairymaster will only turn when the plate slides at track end, and will otherwise bend, burst or break whatever it meets if the sensors aren't working, which they often aren't, and one only finds out when one finds a mess, in my experience.

Ya dairy master seem designed to cause problems will have to go see the other types when the time comes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

The tongue mechanism in the Alfco is a simple bolt and tongue that lifts the scraper and reverses when it meets too much resistance. Dairypower is the same afaik.
    The Dairymaster will only turn when the plate slides at track end, and will otherwise bend, burst or break whatever it meets if the sensors aren't working, which they often aren't, and one only finds out when one finds a mess, in my experience.
    The other side of that argument is that when the dung builds up eg after a power cut or gets too dry the dairymaster scraper will still push it to the end whereas other brands will lift and return and leave you with a mess also!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I was wondering what ye meant, dairmaster here still has the old analogue control box with clocks on it, 5 are in with 25 plus years last one was added on in 09'. They are grand nothing to stop em really unless a gate or something comes off the hinges and blocks their path. Plenty times I'd be cursing if they reversed simply because there was too much in front of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Thats interesting how other scrapers turn. Didn't know they can turn without being flipped by the track. I would like a more reliable turning scraper but have one scraper taking slurry from three passages, if they're off at night or don't run for whatever reason theres a lot to move then. I would need to see them working. That particular scraper really needs replacing soon. It's been welded a few time from crashing into the other ones and in general all the weight is always on one side so was kind of strained without the crashes.

The cow down feature will stop the Dairymasters pushing too hard although I find ours very sensitive to the point a few hours slurry will stop it. I still put it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

whelan2 wrote: »
    Any update?

no results back so far, last result i have was from fri night, will probably have to dump another 3 days milk, letter this morning saying only milk from tuesday on will be accepted with first collection been wedneaday mornjg provided i have all clear tests was told would be collected tuesday morning and milk from sat night on would be okay.....
    the first co-op agm that takes place when this covid craic is over will be good craic, they mighten even let us into it id say

• Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

A letter. Could they not ring you? How many days milk will you be down?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,531 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The milk manager for the area is supposed to be able do all that on the phone.
    They should be even able to call in the yard.

The milk manager for the area is supposed to be able do all that on the phone.
    They should be even able to call in the yard.

With covid they are not calling as much as they used to

jaymla627 wrote: »
    no results back so far, last result i have was from fri night, will probably have to dump another 3 days milk, letter this morning saying only milk from tuesday on will be accepted with first collection been wedneaday mornjg provided i have all clear tests was told would be collected tuesday morning and milk from sat night on would be okay.....
    the first co-op agm that takes place when this covid craic is over will be good craic, they mighten even let us into it id say

Insurance? Culpability? Law suits
    Who is responsible for this debacle
    Its not you
    You can't have a product sold to you as fit for purpose causing tbis much damage to your business without come back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,531 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Would bringing a sample yourself into IAS lab in Bagnelstown be any use?

Would bringing a sample yourself into IAS lab in Bagnelstown be any use?

they dont test for it, rang them this morning, glanbia cant test for it either, has to go to a teagasc lab

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

they dont test for it, rang them this morning, glanbia cant test for it either, has to go to a teagasc lab

ALS Labs?

down 3 days at the minute will be another 3 days in the tank after the mornings milking, im 99% sure they will make us dump this aswell

I can't imagine how annoying it must be. Milking to dump it , when there's feck all wrong with it would tip me over the edge

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Very tough situation to be and can't imagine how stressful it must be Jay. Hope you get sorted soon and when the dust settles hope you are not the only person held responsible or out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Freejin

Mooooo wrote: »
    Put one of the Fr bulls in with the cows this morning, haven't seen activity in 2 days but with weather cat it's more a case of them not exhibiting it I'd say. Today is the start of week 5, seem to always have a bit of a gap in March so hopefully this will help. Will follow him with beef straws or if things get too busy again I'll pull him out as will need him to stay fit

Fairly quiet on the AI front here the last week as well, but like you say I feel that I've missed some due to the poor conditions. Would the automatic heat detection systems really prove their worth with weather like the last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    The other side of that argument is that when the dung builds up eg after a power cut or gets too dry the dairymaster scraper will still push it to the end whereas other brands will lift and return and leave you with a mess also!

Mess?
    This reminds me if the old story of the difference between a problem and an inconvenience.
    An odd heap of sh2 in a passage? Just stand up on the saddle and read a few threads of boards for the 5 mins it gets to the end of the track = inconvenience.
    Come down in the morning to find an injured cow, a bent tongue, a twisted track etc = problem.
    Maybe the technology has developed now and these things don't happen any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Freejin wrote: »
    Fairly quiet on the AI front here the last week as well, but like you say I feel that I've missed some due to the poor conditions. Would the automatic heat detection systems really prove their worth with weather like the last week?

AI man reckons the bad weather can cause them to skip heat or delay it more so than them coming in heat and you missing it. Maybe the heat detection system lads will think different.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

Green&Red wrote: »
    AI man reckons the bad weather can cause them to skip heat or delay it more so than them coming in heat and you missing it. Maybe the heat detection system lads will think different.

We’ve automatic heat detection here and I think I agree with your AI man. Finding this year that if you’re going through a bad spell of weather which then clears, you have cows coming bulling that were bulling say 25 days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

I had some cows go 25 days alright during bad weather. I thought they had a silent heat but they came in late. 3 weeks into breeding today and hit the 90% submission rate so that's the first step achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭older by the day

Just wondering, what do people do with washing out cows, let her clean naturally, a wash out, or that tube thing from the vet.

Very tough situation to be and can't imagine how stressful it must be Jay. Hope you get sorted soon and when the dust settles hope you are not the only person held responsible or out of pocket.

sitting in the kitchen here now cows in since 7, no test results back yet, dont know weather to milk into tank our dump 5 milkings and start afresh, rang milk advisor and farm advisror multiple times and no answer....
    its nowwhere stated in purchasing policy that multiple clear chlorate tests are needed before resumption of collection, once milk is under 2 and any milk produced on farm has been discarded where chlroine products where used hasnt been let into tank, which is the case here since thurs evening milking....
    Finding it very hard to fathom, glanbias handling of this

Hopefully you got sorted. Just goes to show thry must work 9 to 5 hours. Unlike us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭orm0nd

sitting in the kitchen here now cows in since 7, no test results back yet, dont know weather to milk into tank our dump 5 milkings and start afresh, rang milk advisor and farm advisror multiple times and no answer....
    its nowwhere stated in purchasing policy that multiple clear chlorate tests are needed before resumption of collection, once milk is under 2 and any milk produced on farm has been discarded where chlroine products where used hasnt been let into tank, which is the case here since thurs evening milking....

hope you get sorted soon jay.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

I'm not experienced enough to give you advice in that case, hard to know what to do. Very dissapointing you aren't getting any response from glanbia..very hard to get anybody to make a decision it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Mightn't be a bad idea to let your solicitor know what's going on either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Jay,in these situations you just got to keep going.
    Maybe I missed something but is it the dip or the old paracetic acid that is causing the problem or have you got to the bottom of it yet.

Hopefully you got sorted. Just goes to show thry must work 9 to 5 hours. Unlike us

phones are still ringing out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

phones are still ringing out

Usual story once someone has to make a decision. Too many lads afraid to make a call

Advertisement