Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Reggie. wrote: »
    Usual story once someone has to make a decision. Too many lads afraid to make a call

It's no consolation but Glanbia seem to be more like the Dept every day - big organisations, loads of middle management, no one accountable.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

jaymla627 wrote: »
    phones are still ringing out

Ring off a different phone

Mightn't be a bad idea to let your solicitor know what's going on either.

This
    Also has your insurance policy business disruption cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Just wondering, what do people do with washing out cows, let her clean naturally, a wash out, or that tube thing from the vet.

Started washing out our own cows this year here,delighted we did it
    Had about 6 who were quite smelly about a week after calving

We cut the top off an old dose bottle
    Left the tube that comes on them
    Feed that pipe in through the uterus and into womb - requires a bit if patience

We used 10l luke warm water and 50ml of iodine, works out at .5%

The cows we washed out needed no other treatment to get them cycling for breeding and didn't get sick or go off feed which is mostly what happens ours

Would highly recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

phones are still ringing out

I know I'm not adding anything to the conversation but this is crazy stuff from Glanbia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I know I'm not adding anything to the conversation but this is crazy stuff from Glanbia.

Could be something to bring up at the next AGM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

Should be ringing the ICMSA or the IFA. Which ever you are a member of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,531 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If it was me I'd be getting straight answers in our local office which would be Wexford town.
    Jays is probably portloaise or ballyragget.

I know it's difficult to leave the farm and cows bawling.
    Not answering the phone is not on either.

Very strange whole episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

cjpm wrote: »
    Should be ringing the ICMSA or the IFA. Which ever you are a member of.

ifa are on the case and pleasantly surprised how quick they where to help us out and got great advice from their legal team last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

ifa are on the case and pleasantly surprised how quick they where to help us out and got great advice from their legal team last night

We can be giving out about them at times, however they are invaluable in situations like this. Best of luck Jay.

• Advertisement

i doubt they would even let the subject be brought up to be honest, covid has been some blessing for them with regards not been answerable in a public setting over the share price collaspse and the latest issues re their new quota system

i doubt they would even let the subject be brought up to be honest, covid has been some blessing for them with regards not been answerable in a public setting over the share price collaspse and the latest issues re their new quota system

Surely questions from the floor

Surely questions from the floor

These can be hand picked individuals who don't ask hard questions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Started washing out our own cows this year here,delighted we did it
    Had about 6 who were quite smelly about a week after calving

We cut the top off an old dose bottle
    Left the tube that comes on them
    Feed that pipe in through the uterus and into womb - requires a bit if patience

We used 10l luke warm water and 50ml of iodine, works out at .5%

The cows we washed out needed no other treatment to get them cycling for breeding and didn't get sick or go off feed which is mostly what happens ours

Would highly recommend it

Use metricure here, some say iodine is too harsh

whelan2 wrote: »
    These can be hand picked individuals who don't ask hard questions

Ambush them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

On the agm thing.if your going to acheive anything you ve got to have a campaign organised it cant be just an isolated question from the floor.you got have the ground work done and have a sustained stream of people that are able to undermine what ever answers your getting and maybe have some media pressure applied afterwards. A simple rule is you must have more speakers than they have.my own view is sort the issue for yourself first and worry about the political stuff later. I definitely think your in legal pressure territory at this minute.theres too much at stake.i would be doing independent testing as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Mooooo wrote: »

Yeah if you go too much its hard but as long as it looks like weak tea it's fine

I like this way because it's quick and you can do them right after milking aswell as being cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The reality is you are far better to work with the co op then against them ,if there is a problem ,find it and try sorting it .It is all well and good lads given free advice .The best plan would be figure out not letting this problem happen again and shouting the odds at agm is no help .I remember the grandfather describing at local co op meeting a woman on her 3 leged stool complaining about been fined for tbc ,of course the manager was not long shutting her up when he stood up and told her ''my good woman not alone should you have been fined but you shoud have been prosuceted for supplying that milk''.They make the terms of supply

cute geoge wrote: »
    The reality is you are far better to work with the co op then against them ,if there is a problem ,find it and try sorting it .It is all well and good lads given free advice .The best plan would be figure out not letting this problem happen again and shouting the odds at agm is no help .I remember the grandfather describing at local co op meeting a woman on her 3 leged stool complaining about been fined for tbc ,of course the manager was not long shutting her up when he stood up and told her ''my good woman not alone should you have been fined but you shoud have been prosuceted for supplying that milk''.They make the terms of supply

That's well and good , but in Jay's case he can't contact them. They should be on farm helping him not ignoring him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

Thats like the attitude of moving along and leaving the old lady behind. Bit like their attitude to the small farmer now. If manufacturers worldwide don't change their attitude to the primary producer I would love to see them run tight on raw material. And actually I think I can see it happening worldwide at the moment. Theirs shortages of grain/corn in the states now I believe and they're giving the farmers a few extra cents and hoping they will grow more. Some day they will realise that farmers have moved away from slaving for them all like fools. Some great jobs in glanbia and the like but supplying milk to them doesn't seem to be best deal. I was talking to bank manager the other day and they said that 70% of land sales now are bought by non farmers. Just like around here a guy had 1 million to get rid of so he outbid all the local farmers for land. Now he wants to rent it out to us at extortionate rates and he'll get no trouble from it. Well I won't be the busy fool paying his mortgage for him. I could keep on going but I'll leave it at that for the moment. Look like I'll have to house my maiden heifers soon. Balls anyway.

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    That's well and good , but in Jay's case he can't contact them. They should be on farm helping him not ignoring him

milk was collected this evening, all tests taken passed at 0 clorates, still havent gotten clarification on some pressing issues, that need to be resolved, any glanbia supplier in trouble re clorates id advise just go straight to the ifa, youll be hung out to dry otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

While working with the processors is the first port of call, when they're in dereliction of their duties, they should be pulled up and if necessary called out on it.
    As for your yarn, those days are thankfully in the past and those misogynistic patronising and arrogant attitudes belong there with them.
    Is it how she brought her stool with her to the meeting or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭einn32

Mooooo wrote: »

Yeah we stopped using iodine for washouts. Not good stuff to be putting in such a delicate area. Metricure is the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

See André from graise is going back milking. Fair play to him and best of luck.

https://www.facebook.com/1161444260573591/posts/4158104514240869/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Anyone ever have a cow down with milk fever this time of year ,had a cow yesterday evening ,struggling to get up out in field ,bright ,alert ,trying to get up but just not getting there ,tetany ruled out but given a bottle of mag as precaution .given pain relief and calcijet as well .popped up straight away and off grazing
    Went for cows this morning and same again ,called vet and after examining her another bottle of calcium and up and away again ,she’s fine this evening ,into parlour milked fine and ate fine .calved since February served few weeks ago no issues ,...a weird one ...just went to check her now and she’s fine

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Anyone ever have a cow down with milk fever this time of year ,had a cow yesterday evening ,struggling to get up out in field ,bright ,alert ,trying to get up but just not getting there ,tetany ruled out but given a bottle of mag as precaution .given pain relief and calcijet as well .popped up straight away and off grazing
    Went for cows this morning and same again ,called vet and after examining her another bottle of calcium and up and away again ,she’s fine this evening ,into parlour milked fine and ate fine .calved since February served few weeks ago no issues ,...a weird one ...just went to check her now and she’s fine

low phosphorus id bet, silage sample from 1st cut made in april here returned a negative phosphorus result on mineral analysis,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

low phosphorus id bet, silage sample from 1st cut made in april here returned a negative phosphorus result on mineral analysis,

Protected mineral pack in nut with extra p added ,soil indexes all 3/4 .bag super p out in March .I’m putting it down to weather ....savage rain here Sunday and up to today wet and cold .averaging 5.8 kg nuts and maize silage every evening

Had one here with low phosphorus. She was eating stones

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Weather would have low phosphorus uptake in plant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭older by the day

I lost a cow two years ago after a real wet night, found her down and shaken gave her calcium and got the vet, she died. So it does happen. My man who collected the dead cattle often says that he's sometimes busier at bulling time as calving time

Advertisement