Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

The latest is they want to ban the umbilical system for being used on untrafficable ground. Talking about putting tracker devices on contractors machines. I'm delighted I'm after investing in dribble bar and agitator. Thought of sh1t up to the slats in jan, 3 dry days and i wouldn't even bother asking the poor contractor as his ear would be burnt off him with abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

straight wrote: »
    The latest is they want to ban the umbilical system for being used on untrafficable ground. Talking about putting tracker devices on contractors machines. I'm delighted I'm after investing in dribble bar and agitator. Thought of sh1t up to the slats in jan, 3 dry days and i wouldn't even bother asking the poor contractor as his ear would be burnt off him with abuse.
    Tracker on contractors machines. Getting ambitious there they are :D

The Netherlands, France and Germany all use milk yield brackets to determine organic N output per cow.

Ahh but they don't have EBI. When you say milk yield do you mean volume or solids. I think kgms is the best measure of output. Imho it's better to measure input if your interested in protecting the environment but sure what would I know.

Reggie. wrote: »

Some joke alright. Remote immobilisers are coming..... haha

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

What tank and dribble bar did you go with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Some joke alright. Remote immobilisers are coming..... haha

Any chance they would give a few hours aswell

degetme wrote: »
    What tank and dribble bar did you go with?

Tanks are tanks. I got the first one I got a good deal on. Hi-Spec with mastek dribble bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

alps wrote: »
    Thrown a bit by a suggestion of extending the closed period into september. I think its a decoy...

We have 2 distinct issues with slurry storage..
    1. Some haven't got it and spread regardless
    2. Contractor availability and full tanks on Jan 13th and waiting for a weather window.

Can see why they might want to cover off Jan as an issue, but problem no 1 is bigger..

No dirty water spreading for december is a straight off measure to stop any excuse for tackling up to a vacuum tank at that time, but hits compliant winter milk guys.

Increasing capacity allows for an opportunity for farms who currently don't have the capacity to get their **** in order once and for all...

But will they..

The rule atm of not being able to get grant on slurry storage if you haven't enough for current stock numbers is very wrong imo

We hadn't enough storage when I came involved at home and would have done a tank a year or 2 earlier if we could have availed of the grant

Instead we had to bare the full cost of it, if they want farmers to be compliant they should take out as many obstacles as possible for grants out of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Sh1t up the slats in January means u need more storage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Or you need to be more organised in getting your tanks emptied before winter :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

The rule atm of not being able to get grant on slurry storage if you haven't enough for current stock numbers is very wrong imo

We hadn't enough storage when I came involved at home and would have done a tank a year or 2 earlier if we could have availed of the grant

Instead we had to bare the full cost of it, if they want farmers to be compliant they should take out as many obstacles as possible for grants out of the way

No one should be caught offside, and fair play for taking your responsibility serious, however the amount of 2 finger waving to regulations during the expansion phase of dairying was obscene.

However is a national problem at this stage, and only solution will be to change the capacity reuiremwnt for all...Another example of those who wouldn't comply, costing everyone else..

Reggie. wrote: »

They exist in a form in many european countries. For example in Belgium, you have to keep a gps printed docket for every load spread, following on from sampling the storage tank for nutrient values, and spreading to the requirement of the crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭green daries

jaymla627 wrote: »
    What did they do that they where shutdown, if a dairy farm isnt causing pollution what grounds do they have to shut you down

Nitrates directive and the laws governing it are council by laws they will be far stricter than the department if they take over enforcement....which they are legally entitled to do they don't even have to agree to the farmer charter thingy

7000 litres is not high output. More like middle of the road. Categorising dairy cows by litres is like categorising beef cattle by height. Makes no sense but sure, that's what your dealing with like.

Lol I know you are joking right.....

No one should be caught offside, and fair play for taking your responsibility serious, however the amount of 2 finger waving to regulations during the expansion phase of dairying was obscene.

However is a national problem at this stage, and only solution will be to change the capacity reuiremwnt for all...Another example of those who wouldn't comply, costing everyone else..

It's not a national problem everyone will be in a derogation type nutrients management plan for this plan to be submitted and accepted by the department you will have to provide proof of your storage facilities no planner will submit a plan that doesn't have it as there legally responsible as well any farmers in derogation now, all have enough storage

Sh1t up the slats in January means u need more storage :)

According to the regs I have oceans of storage so there is someone wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

It was ridiculous but it was encouraged ….load on the cows first everything else can wait was the motto……maby if lads slowed down snd added storage and upgraded facilities with cow nos we wouldn’t be where we are now Tamms grants have been there for years and could be availed of in a lot of cases the lads spreading out of season are the ones that took this approach ,there still loading on cows and facilities are still catching up ……

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Nitrates directive and the laws governing it are council by laws they will be far stricter than the department if they take over enforcement....which they are legally entitled to do they don't even have to agree to the farmer charter thingy

Did you watch prime time investigates on quarry/esb pollution and illegal quarrying, it would open your eyes, local council here are a joke on enforcement and have firsthand experience of this where i was the wronged party with blatant breaking of planning rules and zero action was taken by them to enforce their own rules, the homeowner was simply let away scotfree, still have their faulty septic tank leaking into our field....
    Its very county council specific depending where you are based

mahoney_j wrote: »
    It was ridiculous but it was encouraged ….load on the cows first everything else can wait was the motto……maby if lads slowed down snd added storage and upgraded facilities with cow nos we wouldn’t be where we are now Tamms grants have been there for years and could be availed of in a lot of cases the lads spreading out of season are the ones that took this approach ,there still loading on cows and facilities are still catching up ……

Isnt the Teagasc mantra 300 odd plus days at grass, sure the true belivers dont actually think they need the storage, will banks be willing to fund these new storage requirements where lads are already streched

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Isnt the Teagasc mantra 300 odd plus days at grass, sure the true belivers dont actually think they need the storage, will banks be willing to fund these new storage requirements where lads are already streched
    Your not far wrong ……but wait Tegasc are great etc etc ,they are in ways but they drove this mantra of loading cows on above all else ….they are culpable for our current position in a way they didn’t force lads to do it but heavily encouraged it …..yet another thing they forgot about or didn’t want to …..calves …..market for milk ……nitrate compliance ….

• Advertisement

Did you watch prime time investigates on quarry/esb pollution and illegal quarrying, it would open your eyes, local council here are a joke on enforcement and have firsthand experience of this where i was the wronged party with blatant breaking of planning rules and zero action was taken by them to enforce their own rules, the homeowner was simply let away scotfree, still have their faulty septic tank leaking into our field....
    Its very county council specific depending where you are based

Mayhem so ...and probably so from your experience but from listening to lads on about the time of dual inspection it was the council were by far the most problematic very strict and extreme interpretation of the laws were being implemented..... then again agriculture is a soft touch for most of the enforcers its almost às if farmers have been conditioned to believe there guilty of wrongdoing regardless

Banks (at least BofI) will ask for slurry storage certification if looking for a loan. 2 hours a day is considered a day at grass....22 hours storage still required ..

New storage is going to be a significant financial and logistical issue, and i can't think that it would have to be given a significant lead in time. It will almost certainly mean a decision to exit farming for many..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Banks (at least BofI) will ask for slurry storage certification if looking for a loan. 2 hours a day is considered a day at grass....22 hours storage still required ..

New storage is going to be a significant financial and logistical issue, and i can't think that it would have to be given a significant lead in time. It will almost certainly mean a decision to exit farming for many..

What will an extra few weeks storage cost for most?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,527 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Haven't read about this bar here.

What's the position on outdoor lagoons?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Haven't read about this bar here.

What's the position on outdoor lagoons?

All storage must be covered by 2027 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

About €25k here. Then I want to put a roof over the silage pit and throw 24 cubicles in there also. Another €25-30k.
    Then I will need a new silage slab. €15k

All in about €70k
    Extra storage however is only €25k

Why would you bother at this stage. There's only so much beating any farmer can take. I've worked 80 hours a week here for for 5 years and every cent has gone back into the farm. I'm either going to start taking wages next year or go back to the day job.
    I heard on the radio that farmers will adapt like they always did. But from what I can see farmers are an endangered species and numbers are declining worldwide. It's funny when Clarkson's farm is the most realistic representation of farming on TV.

Worked it out here roughly the 4 weeks extra slurry storage would be approximately 500 gallons a cow, if washings had to be held aswell another 600 plus gallons a cow would be needed, so 1100 gallons a cow with it probably going to cost 500 euro plus for a 1000 gallons of covered slurry storage with steel and building costs gone crazy....
    So your talking about in my case having to spend anywhere from 600-800 euro a cow, if you go borrow the money say on milkflex over a 8 year term at circa 4% intrest it going to cost you on a 6000 litre cow about 1.5 cent a litre over the loan period, all this chipping away at our bottomline trying to stay compliant will eventually come home to roast when we get a bad price year

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Why would you bother at this stage. There's only so much beating any farmer can take. I've worked 80 hours a week here for for 5 years and every cent has gone back into the farm. I'm either going to start taking wages next year or go back to the day job.
    I heard on the radio that farmers will adapt like they always did. But from what I can see farmers are an endangered species and numbers are declining worldwide. It's funny when Clarkson's farm is the most realistic representation of farming on TV.

I'd be of the same mindset. Working all the hours and then more sticks being introduced to beat us with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

mahoney_j wrote: »

Well great for you if you had existing storage for what stock you already had
    It's not that simple for alot of guys who might have faced hard times through the the period of first grants
    If you didn't get compliant in the first TAMS you were locked out of the rest
    Hardly fair
    If you had preexisting loans and couldnt afford to borrow more with out bringing the cows first how do you do it mj?
    Shows your lack of understanding

Advertisement