Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭green daries

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Easy for them promote that when there not the one doing it ….I worked off farm for 10 years ,best experience I got ,met people I’d of never met if I went straight home got life experience and traveled again both of which o would t of got to the extent I did if I went straight home ….I also got a wage every week and I was damned if when I went farming that would stop…..farming is a business snd long hours put in at times ,doing these hours and not drawing a decent wage shouldn’t be seen as a badge of honour ….labour even own labourer should always be rewarded

Couldn't agree more everyone should work outside there own profesion especially farmers broadens the mind gets travel new ideas different systems and ways of life and as for a wage I always ask them would they do without the pay check for 5 years
    .... never got a reply yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭green daries

Mf310 wrote: »
    Even see an advertisement in the journal this week from round up “pre harvest weed control” and showing all the benefits of round up on the crop before harvest , maybe fair enough in a broken year but alot of lads using it on every crop in their place , wrong from even a farmers point of view whatever about a consumer looking in

Be a hard one to square as a vegan for glyphos to be showing in the bread and certain breakfast cereal the on we time I saw a silage crop sprayed pre harvest the silage turned out squidy if that makes any sense and stock were slow to eat it... but that was a couple of decades ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

Growth has dropped to 33 here. Nights are very cold. I've alot of silage ground still white so that could be throwing off the growth figures a bit. I just put 150 of a cover on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

straight wrote: »
    Growth has dropped to 33 here. Nights are very cold. I've alot of silage ground still white so that could be throwing off the growth figures a bit. I just put 150 of a cover on them.

Did you get any rain last week, got a nice drop here, cows where basically going on a full tmr diet only for it, still buffering 10kgs dm through the feeder to allow silage ground get a cover back on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

straight wrote: »

Leave the silage ground out of the grazing area until there's 500 on it
    It skews the figures too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Did you get any rain last week, got a nice drop here, cows where basically going on a full tmr diet only for it, still buffering 10kgs dm through the feeder to allow silage ground get a cover back on it

Got about 11mm. I'd say the cold wind at night is doing alot of harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Many of ye having 6/7+ week repeats. Reckon I've had close to 7% hopefully I've seen em all. Fecking annoying. 99% certain they weren't missed in previous rounds. Debating whether or not to pull the bulls early or keep em in to the 20th July. With heifers coming can afford a few empties and will have to sell a few before winter anyway. Would cows incalf for late April sell well in milk in the autumn? Perhaps empties still in milk may be easier sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Mooooo wrote: »
    Many of ye having 6/7+ week repeats. Reckon I've had close to 7% hopefully I've seen em all. Fecking annoying. 99% certain they weren't missed in previous rounds. Debating whether or not to pull the bulls early or keep em in to the 20th July. With heifers coming can afford a few empties and will have to sell a few before winter anyway. Would cows incalf for late April sell well in milk in the autumn? Perhaps empties still in milk may be easier sold.

Had some not many tho bull has served 9 since gage went out 2 weeks ago .more than I like if I’m honest but not worrying …I’m seriously considering going back to twice daily Ai next year as I’ll have a heat detection health monitoring system in by then
    I’m leaving bull with cows till middle august an incalf cow worth more than sn empty

Had some not many tho bull has served 9 since gage went out 2 weeks ago .more than I like if I’m honest but not worrying …I’m seriously considering going back to twice daily Ai next year as I’ll have a heat detection health monitoring system in by then
    I’m leaving bull with cows till middle august an incalf cow worth more than sn empty

The reason I won't go passed July 20th is more to stop me than anything else, be like the suckler thread, the addiction of keeping anything that's incalf 🀦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Our cows are gone quiet tg. But a friend scanned for the second time this week who would really have one of the best herds suppling the co op and had very bad results. The vets can't pin point it ,its like a run of ibr or something ran through the herd.... some sickener.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Our cows are gone quiet tg. But a friend scanned for the second time this week who would really have one of the best herds suppling the co op and had very bad results. The vets can't pin point it ,its like a run of ibr or something ran through the herd.... some sickener.

At least he knows early enough

Actually killed our 2 bulls yesterday. They wer gone very cranky. Have one 2 Yr old SA bull with them now just in case.

Busy enough here all the time, have had 11 or 12 in the last week. Should prob have a calving rate of 80 to 85% 6 wk next spring due to heifers but look like the last 15 to 20% could be spread out. Will see at scanning

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Actually killed our 2 bulls yesterday. They wer gone very cranky. Have one 2 Yr old SA bull with them now just in case.

What breed were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Mooooo wrote: »

A good few repeating at 40 odd days as well. Have collors on cows and no increased activity to indicate missed heats 3 week previous.

Any reasons or explations for it.

whelan2 wrote: »
    What breed were they?

Aa and si

dar31 wrote: »
    A good few repeating at 40 odd days as well. Have collors on cows and no increased activity to indicate missed heats 3 week previous.

Any reasons or explations for it.

Dunno. If there was massive increases in N in the grass at different stages maybe but have had no urea result above 20 this year, feck all even near it, so unlikely to be that. Consistent enough with meal as well so getting all minerals etc thru that. If the collars aren't picking it up at least I can't blame myself for missing em. Bull and heat seekers on them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Are you going for collars mj? Is it purely for breeding or are there many other benefits to be gotten with them? Got a bad run of strep uberis back end of may and wondering would the collars help you get in a bit earlier to detect mastitis. They wouldn't be long paying for themselves if they saved a few clinical cases, lost quarters and saved a few missed heats. Especially for the likes of me working off farm aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Heard of a neighbour around the 200 cow mark top farmer would be up on all the kpis but had 60 cows in heat last week cant make it out at all but must be a problem in the herd somewhere but hearing it from a few lads that theyv more coming around again. Cant say im noticing it at home just late calvers repeating there at the moment and only 1s and 2s will scan early next week and estrumate anything thats empty and probably pull the plug in a fortnights time

Are you going for collars mj? Is it purely for breeding or are there many other benefits to be gotten with them? Got a bad run of strep uberis back end of may and wondering would the collars help you get in a bit earlier to detect mastitis. They wouldn't be long paying for themselves if they saved a few clinical cases, lost quarters and saved a few missed heats. Especially for the likes of me working off farm aswell.

They will detect sickness, if you get the rumination package, stepg uberis it mighten pick up as quickly as say a cow with e-coli as i find with steph uberis a cow could have it but wouldnt be sick with it her activity levels and rumiunation wouldnt actually drop

• Advertisement

Mf310 wrote: »
    Heard of a neighbour around the 200 cow mark top farmer would be up on all the kpis but had 60 cows in heat last week cant make it out at all but must be a problem in the herd somewhere but hearing it from a few lads that theyv more coming around again. Cant say im noticing it at home just late calvers repeating there at the moment and only 1s and 2s will scan early next week and estrumate anything thats empty and probably pull the plug in a fortnights time

Phosphorus deficiency id reckon, made some early 1st cut at the end of april and got it mineral tested, no p was present in sample, also no trace of selenium which was very strange as usually have good levels of it here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Fertiliser gone apechyte in price, with urea products unavailable in places..

Protected Urea now hitting 450...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

alps wrote: »
    Fertiliser gone apechyte in price, with urea products unavailable in places..

Protected Urea now hitting 450...

Ordered a half load of CAN yesterday
    Couldn't get p urea
    290/t,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

How is protected urea working for people in this dry spell? You'd think CAN would be the product of choice with this break in the weather coming to kick start the growth again, and not have to wait the week or 2 for a urea based fertilizer to kick in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,527 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

For all my talk on dosing cows. I had to give in and admit defeat and go with a mectin pour on.
    Cows were all in an awful way of coughing and particularly hit were the younger stock 2nd calvers. Looks like I may loose an animal it was that bad.
    Went in with the mectin and mineral boluses and it looks like I've arrested the herd.
    Older animals are back fine now, all done Tuesday. Younger milking stock are a bit precious. But it looks like I've got it under control.

I shouldn't joke but if it was coronavirus the mectin like on people seems to have licked it.
    Always feckin something to bring you down.

For all my talk on dosing cows. I had to give in and admit defeat and go with a mectin pour on.
    Cows were all in an awful way of coughing and particularly hit were the younger stock 2nd calvers. Looks like I may loose an animal it was that bad.
    Went in with the mectin and mineral boluses and it looks like I've arrested the herd.
    Older animals are back fine now, all done Tuesday. Younger milking stock are a bit precious. But it looks like I've got it under control.

I shouldn't joke but if it was coronavirus the mectin like on people seems to have licked it.
    Always feckin something to bring you down.

The younger animals will bounce back alright, letting them fight it naturally for a while before treatment will stand to them down the line with natural immunity, lads that go in religously twice a year are really playing with fire as regards mectins not working at all

Spreading 29 0 14 or whatever it is protected urea based. Dunno if I'm convinced of protected urea or urea products in summer tbh. Went with a round of cut sward before that. Would have always used CAN +S in summer previously

jaymla627 wrote: »
    The younger animals will bounce back alright, letting them fight it naturally for a while before treatment will stand to them down the line with natural immunity, lads that go in religously twice a year are really playing with fire as regards mectins not working at all

It's years since I dosed the cows (3years). And that was a white wormer at calving.

Youngstock white wormer once as calves these last two years. Heifers none last year.
    Tbh I'd be loosing the whole herd here if I didn't do what I did. And that's no exaggeration.
    I'm not vaccinating for anything either.
    Ibr was a worry but if it was that I don't think what I did would have had an effect?
    Vaccinating for ibr now would leave me risk of abortions too.

I had a hunch of least damage and went with it.
    Observations though. Dung beetle activity was none existent to me this year. Last year was best to date on that score. Whether weather or management from neighbouring farmers I don't know. But this was very bad now with the cows.
    I was glad to have the tool there.

Did you blood cows to see what may be there? Was always told that if something hits the immune system that's when ibr and the like can hammer it home.
    Only did heifers once last year with a white drench. Did same with this years ones, generally haven't had to do heifers more than once but this year there is extra coughing going in heifers. Cows haven't been done yet, will wait for tb test to do them this month if needed, seems to be no coughing in field and a small bit in parlour but was putting that down to the nuts

• Advertisement

No blood test.
    Just the glanbia milk test.

Advertisement