Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

jaymla627 wrote: »
    They will detect sickness, if you get the rumination package, stepg uberis it mighten pick up as quickly as say a cow with e-coli as i find with steph uberis a cow could have it but wouldnt be sick with it her activity levels and rumiunation wouldnt actually drop

Ok, uberis seems to be a sticky one..bacause we are milking oad if a cow is subclinical it's 24 hrs before she's seen again and could be swollen and have cruds and by that stage it's harder clear up. I was hoping the collars would show a problem and we could get in with CMT and isolate the quarter for treatment a bit sooner..but going on what you say that mightn't be the case. I heard mention of 140 a collar, so at that rate if they did it the above they would pay for themselves easy enough over there lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

How is protected urea working for people in this dry spell? You'd think CAN would be the product of choice with this break in the weather coming to kick start the growth again, and not have to wait the week or 2 for a urea based fertilizer to kick in

Iirc, plain urea is the most effective N source at high soil temps ( >18'c) if applied at low rates with adequate moisture

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Ok, uberis seems to be a sticky one..bacause we are milking oad if a cow is subclinical it's 24 hrs before she's seen again and could be swollen and have cruds and by that stage it's harder clear up. I was hoping the collars would show a problem and we could get in with CMT and isolate the quarter for treatment a bit sooner..but going on what you say that mightn't be the case. I heard mention of 140 a collar, so at that rate if they did it the above they would pay for themselves easy enough over there lifetime.

How are you for replacements? Any repeat offenders it may be as well to cull.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Freejin

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Aa and si

What kind of price per kg are they going for. Have two Angus 5 and 7 years to get rid of here soon

High Court has thrown out An Taisce's attempt to appeal the last ruling on the glanbia cheese plant

Think that's the end of the road for those b0L0xe's

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »

That is the first thing my vet suggested aswel..I haven't to much surplus but I've earmarked 2 cows to go anyway 1 was bulled but I think a shot of estrumate will sort that. Haven't had any cases in the last fortnight thankfully so hope it's back under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

That is the first thing my vet suggested aswel..I haven't to much surplus but I've earmarked 2 cows to go anyway 1 was bulled but I think a shot of estrumate will sort that. Haven't had any cases in the last fortnight thankfully so hope it's back under control.

Chloride dioxide pre/post teat spraying is a massive help to prevent cross contaimination between cows but its a big no no if a glanbia supplier and is prohibited not sure on other co-ops policies

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Chloride dioxide pre/post teat spraying is a massive help to prevent cross contaimination between cows but its a big no no if a glanbia supplier and is prohibited not sure on other co-ops policies

How did you finish up with your chlorate problem. Is it all sorted now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Scanned here today, 4 out of 73 carrying dead embryos/non-viable. Scanner put it down to the hard weather giving rise to a shorter rotation on paddocks and higher urea than they should have, it was 9.4 for May and 17.17 for June

• Advertisement

I have changed my teat dip as of last week I went with a dip from lady in Kilkenny. Your case was in the front of my mind when I was looking at the options. Chlorhexidine and lactic acid are the main ingredients. How did you fair out after?
    I'm dipping clusters in buckets of peracitic between all cows now.. previous I would have only done that when swapping from a cow with mastitis. Wasn't a total crisis situation but annoying and costly all the same.

I have changed my teat dip as of last week I went with a dip from lady in Kilkenny. Your case was in the front of my mind when I was looking at the options. Chlorhexidine and lactic acid are the main ingredients. How did you fair out after?
    I'm dipping clusters in buckets of peracitic between all cows now.. previous I would have only done that when swapping from a cow with mastitis. Wasn't a total crisis situation but annoying and costly all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭topgeas

My last milk collection was back from 3246ltrs to 2666ltrs. New driver on lorry. Never had a sudden drop in milk. Anybody come across this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Not too bad this time of year, but I cut a few squares out of old aprons as covers to drape over the buckets to keep them from getting dirty and it made some difference. I'm only doing a few high scc cows and angones after mastitis though, different when you're doing all of them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,527 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

topgeas wrote: »
    My last milk collection was back from 3246ltrs to 2666ltrs. New driver on lorry. Never had a sudden drop in milk. Anybody come across this before.

Bit of a drop alright.

If you know anyone else on the same round ask them how they fared out.
    Had an issue once where a tanker was reading light on a collection. All on the round were reading the same % drop.
    Everyone rang in on the Monday morning and the litres were given back.

If you're a glanbia supplier check the connect site to make sure they didn't do two collections and only one paper docket was put up.

Pre and post spray. Would rinse out cluster from a high scc cow if needed. Biggest improvement came from culling any repeat offenders. Culture a milk sample from next fresh case. Anti inflammatory as important as any antibiotics also. Would rub on an uddercream as well.
    Is it Don Crowley the teagasc lads name, he is supposed to be good if you need advice also. With once a day I'd assume you'd have to be even more ruthless so to speak with any scc issues.

Did you milk yourself? Ring the milk advisor, unless you had a large change in milking times or something viral maybe running thru the herd for whatever reason a drop like that would be very unlikely, 18 odd percent there

Did you milk yourself? Ring the milk advisor, unless you had a large change in milking times or something viral maybe running thru the herd for whatever reason a drop like that would be very unlikely, 18 odd percent there

Same routine. Rang the haulier boss. He said everything ok on his end, but I reckon he covering for the driver. Driver is from Croatia and working 18hrs shifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ring a few other farmers on your route and see if the sane happened to them. Happened me last year, big drop and back right the next collection.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ring a few other farmers on your route and see if the sane happened to them. Happened me last year, big drop and back right the next collection.

Will do and I'll report back.

• Advertisement

With the warm weather could they of run short of water, that would be the most logical explanation save the tanker driver messing up

whelan2 wrote: »
    How did you finish up with your chlorate problem. Is it all sorted now?

Milk side of things is perfect re chlorates, have had no contact from their side since, holding my powder dry for the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

High Court has thrown out An Taisce's attempt to appeal the last ruling on the glanbia cheese plant

Think that's the end of the road for those b0L0xe's

I doubt it, supreme court next I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Freejin wrote: »
    What kind of price per kg are they going for. Have two Angus 5 and 7 years to get rid of here soon

€3 is all could draw.

Pre and post spray. Would rinse out cluster from a high scc cow if needed. Biggest improvement came from culling any repeat offenders. Culture a milk sample from next fresh case. Anti inflammatory as important as any antibiotics also. Would rub on an uddercream as well.
    Is it Don Crowley the teagasc lads name, he is supposed to be good if you need advice also. With once a day I'd assume you'd have to be even more ruthless so to speak with any scc issues.
    Thanks for this, I have implemented some of that advice.i took samples from 2 fresh cases in early June and samples from the highest scc cows from the most recent milk recording. They all were showing up uberis and nothing else. Culling may be the simplest thing. Also trying to rectify any environmental issues that exist.

Ye the margin for error is tighter oad with scc no doubt. But generally our scc is good.averaged 165 for June,
    123 for may and 47 for April with 6 collections spiking between 400 and 600 in that time. That's maybe why I feel we are a bit slow in picking up the mastitis cases.
    Would you use udder cream on all cows or known higher cell count cows?

Thanks for this, I have implemented some of that advice.i took samples from 2 fresh cases in early June and samples from the highest scc cows from the most recent milk recording. They all were showing up uberis and nothing else. Culling may be the simplest thing. Also trying to rectify any environmental issues that exist.

Ye the margin for error is tighter oad with scc no doubt. But generally our scc is good.averaged 165 for June,
    123 for may and 47 for April with 6 collections spiking between 400 and 600 in that time. That's maybe why I feel we are a bit slow in picking up the mastitis cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

Where is all the promised rain. 1.5mm yesterday isn't much good. Lads still mowing after the cows around here and feeding out surplus bales that they took out during the 10 days of high growth that we got this year.

Just on the swollen udders. Whether its the massaging or the stuff itself I dunno but they seem to help

straight wrote: »
    Where is all the promised rain. 1.5mm yesterday isn't much good. Lads still mowing after the cows around here and feeding out surplus bales that they took out during the 10 days of high growth that we got this year.

Light rain here, fairly damp now. Be plenty come tomorrow and Monday by the looks of things as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Just on the swollen udders. Whether its the massaging or the stuff itself I dunno but they seem to help

Would have good time for uddermint/muscle rub here. Works wonders for myself for aches and pains so no reason it wouldn't do the same for cows

Advertisement