Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Would have good time for uddermint/muscle rub here. Works wonders for myself for aches and pains so no reason it wouldn't do the same for cows

You use undermint on yourself?? Nice whiff off you around the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    You use undermint on yourself?? Nice whiff off you around the house!

Sparingly but yeah, there's worse things you could be smelling of IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

straight wrote: »
    Where is all the promised rain. 1.5mm yesterday isn't much good. Lads still mowing after the cows around here and feeding out surplus bales that they took out during the 10 days of high growth that we got this year.

About the same here, but it never surprises me when whatever rain forecast during the summer here fizzles out to almost nothing. Here on the east coast we realistically need very heavy bans of rain to batter the whole country (and therefore everyone else suffering with too much rain lol) for the likes of the necessary 30 or 40mm to actually hit the ground here ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭greenfield21

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/it-s-time-to-talk-about-the-future-of-dairy-farming-632288

I think this article is underestimating future expansion. In saying that I haven't heard any plans for more stainless from the local co op here. Not many worried about carbon footprint round here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭topgeas

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ring a few other farmers on your route and see if the sane happened to them. Happened me last year, big drop and back right the next collection.

Collection back up to near normal amount. Is there any thing that can be installed on tank to measure amount of milk in it. Those clocks on lorries could be way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

topgeas wrote: »
    Collection back up to near normal amount. Is there any thing that can be installed on tank to measure amount of milk in it. Those clocks on lorries could be way out.

Weighcells under legs maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Are the lorries weighted in and out of the co-op?

It should flag any descripanies fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Worked in a place that had a digital flow meter before was pretty accurate, to within 30 litres of tanker printout

Weighcells under legs maybe?

Ya could be a option.
    Is there any calibration check ever done on lorries like all the weigh bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Surely a flow meter would be valuable to see daily output also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/it-s-time-to-talk-about-the-future-of-dairy-farming-632288

I think this article is underestimating future expansion. In saying that I haven't heard any plans for more stainless from the local co op here. Not many worried about carbon footprint round here anyway.

From what I understand the age profile and lack of successors will mean that expansion of some will be countered by the exit of others. While some places can become part of a bigger operations a good few wont or in some cases can't

cute geoge wrote: »
    Surely a flow meter would be valuable to see daily output also

Thinking that myself. Stick it on the output valve and have the lorry pipe connect to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Thinking that myself. Stick it on the output valve and have the lorry pipe connect to it.

I suppose an old fashioned dipstick is no longer an option?
    That said, a homemade one could be fashioned and calibrated to give a rough indication and form a record to be cross checked against collections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Newer tanks have level indicators on display panel. My Dairymaster tank is accurate to within 10 litres

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

On the pipe off the milk pump would probably be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,527 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Ya could be a option.
    Is there any calibration check ever done on lorries like all the weigh bridges.

Did your neighbours have the same happen?
    Was it the same tanker number that collected both the high and low volumes?

That reply I gave you before after what happened. An independent calibration company van passed the gate here. A fair guess it went to the tanker lorry's yard which wouldn't be far away.

Coincidence like your case it happened this time of year when the farmer can make up a whole range of excuses for the drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 steer

topgeas wrote:

Have robots here never more than 10kgs either way

Milk recording butterfat is totally inconsistent. If you were looking at cows figures for management decisions you'd be slow to cow on em. Overall similar to bulk tank but plain as day a good few were way out. 4 jex milking all with p over 4% but bf coming back around the 3.5 mark, can't be right

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Milk recording is only 1 sample. Not really reflective of the full day 2 milkings

True but they tell is this is accurate then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

I suppose an old fashioned dipstick is no longer an option?
    That said, a homemade one could be fashioned and calibrated to give a rough indication and form a record to be cross checked against collections.

I have a dipstick on my tank. I'm in the habit of dipping it now before every collection so I know what to expect. I have a calibration chart for the dipstick too but it's not accurate. Maybe if I levelled the tank a bit better it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

How are you all for grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Last week was feeding silage, this week we could take out some paddocks, very strange year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

moving along nicely. grass walk today, growth of 80 demand 53

took off bales from 20% of the farm Wednesday and will mow another 10% on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Are most still breeding or have ye pulled the plug? Still aing here short gest beef but dont want may calvers so may stop over the next few days , just wondering do any of ye know of a 270day ai sire freisian or beef? Was looking for KYA as i know hes only about 270days but cant get straws of him.

Started may 3rd. Pulled the bull July 10th. The last few days I've had 2 of my best cows come back in. They were in calf to sexed 63 and 73 days. I'm hoping they were false heats brought on by some culls going to dairy but I left them out to the bull and he served them anyway. Disappointing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

If you have the capacity to winter them,will demand for late calvers be as strong next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Is the forecast on price for next year good?

• Advertisement

Tough weather on cows and man. Mine stood by the ditch all day and were panting. My neighbours whole herd tried to fit under 1 tree for the day.

Advertisement