Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I'd doubt they'd be able to monitor it so closely that you won't have a spare tube or bottle for an emergency in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

I asked the manager in the coop shop, and he said I'll still be able to get boxes of mastitis tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Most vets have a bit of cop on as do most farmers …mastitis tubes will be there …and despite the scaremongering dry off tubes will be too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

What I've been told anyway, once the department register is in and everything is linked up if extra pom is assigned out to moooo or whatever twill be another flag for inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

They'll be no issue getting them, its the stuff you'd normally have in stock yourseld for whatever won't be allowed eventually, will have to come from the vet/ prescription. Also non withdrawal treatments, the excenel etc or totally gone now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

I was listening to the latest ifj podcast there and it was gas. The dairy editor thinks that a man that has 170 cows and not much debt can go out and buy 200 acres of top quality land and not needing much investment. Talk about not knowing your brief like. Aidan Brennan in fairness was trying to steer him away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Rarely listen to any of them unless there is something of interest to me …talk is cheap and reality is often a long way from some of these fantasy storirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

Jeez they are deluded. Wouldn’t a fella with 170 cows want an extra 200 acres to send him to an early grave.

FFS. You’d want a mortgage to buy the fertiliser alone this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Don't think I can remember the last time a farmer bought an acre of ground within 15 mile radius of me, let alone 200..

This young lad they were talking about was doing fine for himself share farming or some arrangements like that. He had built up a herd of cows and Jack reckoned he'd just go out and spend 2 or 3 million euro on a place of his own and be highly profitable. Talk about not having a clue like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Someone should email him on the below link its a treasure trove of discussion and archives the greenfield project pretty well and of course production costs and the dangerous of following teagasc best advice, he'll know this already since his missus was the teagasc head in charge of it, but I reckon he's suffering from selective amnesia when it's comes to this

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057042102/greenfield-kilkenny/p2

I was listening to jack Nolan's wisdom on country file podcast today. He's heading up organics now. A farmer with 40 hectares can get 7k in payments for 2 years I think he said. Substantial income for a farmer he called it. Loads of money in farming (Sure dairy farmers are making 1100 euro per cow) he said. Big problem in farming now is that there are no young farmers coming through. (Young victims they could be called). He said if farmers may just go organic and do something different there would be loads of the next generation taking up farming. There is a huge market in Europe for organic. So that's the kind of intelligence that we're up against lads. I doubt the the future for my children will be full time farming anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

The next big business boom is going to be boat building. A craft that can navigate the Mediterranean....

Starvation looms at the hands of the "let them eat cake" fraternity..

Your farms will be important again.

Maybe that's the plan. All those pesky humans exhaling carbon dioxide.

It was nice to get 15mm of rain here last night. It just felt a bit more natural. Washed in the slurry a bit too. 5 cows calved now so getting back into the routine of it. 4 heifers so far which included a set of mini twin heifers. 1 bull.

Graise update,

https://www.facebook.com/1161444260573591/posts/4979812622070050/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Unfortunately the organic market is under pressure Atm. Once organic started rising in price people are switching over to conventional.

We already produce enough food for 10 billion people. Any ‘starvation’, if it comes to pass, will be because of politics, not a shortage of actual food.

Why does the agri industry keep peddling this lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

The reason given was exactly because of politics...

Because the food is there, doesn't mean its available.

You will have production impact due to high input prices. Where there's impact you'll have change in habits. You'll have a certain market distortion, then more waste, and some will be without..

Politics has always caused famine, never lack of food.

Tackling food waste is more important than producing more food to be let rot. Producing food inevitably leaves a mark on the environment, and producing food to be let rot is wrong on so many levels.

New legislation here has banned the dumping of food…I got a call asking would I be interested in taking some out of date vegetables and I agreed to take an artic. I’ve stopped now because they were dumping it on me and it was contaminated with fruit that animals wouldn’t eat. Still better than taking it to the dump I suppose. A local stables said they’d take some carrots for the horses…a truck arrived on with 16t of carrots! When you see up close the vast quantities that are being dumped it is quite shocking.

• Advertisement

Starvation might be overstating it but we will see poor people going without food while others waste it.

Governments green policies, supermarkets wastefulness and people's lack of respect for cheap food will see alot of people hungry starting with the poorest. Environmentalism is like the new religion now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

With food inflation were starting to see it, a few military coups in recent weeks in Africa which will lead to famines. Energy inflation is also impacting, russia have a strong hand now with gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

When nitrogen hit 700 dollars a tonne about 14 years ago, the resulting grain rise led to the Arab Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

I don't think that there will be much good to come this way for profits. Dawg, the south Americans and Eastern Europeans will all probably do quite well.

But I think all farming in this country is going to be squeezed more. Similar conditions to the late 1800s with the end of "high farming" is where we're headed imo. Relative land values need to be slashed and inputs reduced if things do go that way

Follow the money would be my first instinct, so where are the profit centres in over-production and who is sharing in that profit.

Due to N regulations (etc) France is back 20% on food production with the last 20yrs. The ‘farm to fork’ proposal from Brussels is predicted to drop back production by a further 15%. There’s no talk of compensation and the sfp continues to get decimated…meanwhile costs keep rising, and rising. These policies are going to cost and inevitably it’s the farmers that are going to have to bear that cost. If food price inflation doesn’t happen it could have some serious repercussions at farm level.

Even more worrying is Macron capped EDF (Irish equivalent of ESB) to a 4% price rise for this year…resulting in a cost of €8.4 billion to EDF and wiped 25% off their share value. If Macron can do that to energy, he’ll have no qualms on capping food prices also. Scary stuff.

GASC (Egyptian wheat buying apparatus) won’t allow any civil unrest due to food prices, ditto for all the Maghreb. That lesson has been learned.

Imo, the UK will be a litmus test for the immediate future in the EU. Will they wean farmers off the sfp? Will they allow farmers to keep polluting the environment to keep food production up? Will they lower imported food standards to keep their population fed?

Yes all the low cost, non-regulated food producing areas are going to score…and the EU will import that food without any hesitation whilst nailing us to the wall with regulations.

Land values will never be allowed to fall in Ireland.

Quick poll..;

How many farmers on here would be happy to see land values dropped by 95%…?

QED.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭Grueller

SCC at 380 here. Stripped all cows, no mastitis evident, milk filter showing no signs. Cubicles clean and cows clean too. Thermo and tbc at 50 and 5 respectively.

I hoped to avoid milk recording for a while until I had most of them calved. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had a blow up last week, it's just the fresh cows settling in. Back down after a couple of collections. Mine went over 500

Advertisement