Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Big divergence locally on when calving starts. I know one had 55 out of 80 calved in January. Cleaning up with great BB calves in the mart every week now. One or two others like that. Others like ourselves are gone the other way only starting now. Happy with the decision to put the start out to the second week Feb. In Kerry you're at the mercy of the Atlantic more than most and grass looks a long way off at the moment again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Wouldn't like to have cows out today. Forecast not great for the rest of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Weather gone to pot alright. Last 3 years end of Feb and 2 weeks in March have been shite so I dunno about delaying it too much anymore. Will always aim for the start of Feb anyway. Have 2 paddocks grazed but my cover is lower than most so not worried about 2 much grass anyway.

Must prepare better next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭straight

Whatever about all that, everyone in derogation must get 1 grass walk up on pasture base this February.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Asking ye dairy folks - I want to put out a few beef heifers with the bull and I was thinking of tail painting them as I may not see them bulling. I've never done it before and I was wondering if it would work or does the tail paint have to be replenished every week or so. I don't want to be bringing them back into the yard if its the case.

• Advertisement

Scratch cards may be the better job in that case. Once well stuck on they should tell fine. Could put a chin ball on the bull as well

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Sunday night we had a couple of calves born during the night and I just kept an eye on them with cameras but never got up and went out. Now we have group calving pen and thenext day I have to say I'm not sure which calf was which so it put me thinking and I discovered that there is a screen saver button on the camera that I hadn't spotted.so in future I might just take a snap of them just to help with this sort of thing and maybe more of ye have it to

There is another thread running on here at the moment that maybe you should read first🤔

Oh apologies, I didn't know. Can you let me know which one please as I don't read all the F&F threads.

There are only 5 of them and I'd prefer not to go with a chin ball due to cost of having to buy one and inconvenience of having to fit it, iykwim. Where do you buy the scratch cards. I heard of them but haven't seen any for sale in our local agri store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

I stand corrected but IMO fixed timed AI is only financially viable for dairy herds where the costs are spread over a larger number of animals. It ain't a commercial proposition for small suckler farmers or to use the latest buzz word - hobby farmers 🙄

Ah I was only referring to the suckler accounts thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Took first bunch of Fr bulls to mart today ….read on Agri land this morning that no calves been exported to Cherbourg this week or weekend due to storms ……let’s just say it was a reality check as to how important it is to have that market and what would happen if/when it goes ….calves from 10/21 days got from 1 to 7 euros 😱😱😱😱….lots with no bids and mart had lots of calls to make to try find them homes ….only for fact there calves I’d of bought them. Home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭older by the day

A 21 day old calf born late January for 7 euro. Jesus it says enough about how much profit is in Friesian beef. There has to be a better way. It probably is only a matter of time before we will be putting down new born calf's. Drinagh gone up 10 euro on nuts today. 365 for 16 percent dairy.

Without the exporters and there agents there was little to no demand ….nice looking calf born 15 Jan made 65 euro nothing in that for seller either …..when export market for calves goes we’re going to have a huge problem

Why can't a beef farmer buy calves at 1 month old for sub 50 euro. Put them on once a day for a couple of weeks and get them out to grass. They seem to have no problem paying for yearlings or stores.

I think myself that they just don't want the work from the calves even though the dairy farmer has most of the work done for them.

I won't be putting them down here anyway. My heifer bin is nearly empty so I went to the co-op for a few bags of beef nuts. 365 euro per ton. It was 270 per ton when I started farming 5 years ago.

Tis gas. Can guarantee the highest price paid for fr calves will be for April and May born ones, which won't make use of grass til the following year. Regular buyer here will be fully stocked by end of feb with calves off farm, and has done for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I'd sooner sell out than be shooting bull calves. Aren't fr bull yearlings making good money in the marts? I heard they were anyway.

• Advertisement

They can't pay enough for them. The mind boggles....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭Grueller

Because straight, most of them are part time and are on the ropes for time. Why would they pay any more for them than absolutely necessary.

My point is that they are paying more for them than is necessary..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭Grueller

Apologies, I re read your post and get your point

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Downtown123

If it’s so easy why doesn’t the dairy farmer do it. I’m sick to death of dairy farmers giving out about calf prices and that’s talking as a dairy farmer. If you’re not willing to rear calves then don’t complain that other people won’t. Yearlings and calves are two totally different markets. Another poster referred above to not bringing a calf him from the mart for fear of disease. Anyone buying calves has to take into account that of 10 calves they buy only 8.5-9 will be there this time next year. The fella buying a ten day old calf for €20 has a long way to go and a lot of expense before they make €550 as a yearling.

If lads are worried about the margin keep them till the month of June and sell as runners and see how you get on!

Says it all really if they're losing 15%. Not willing to put the work in I guess. The reason I don't rear mine to 12 months is because I don't have enough land....yet. I often take calves up to 6 weeks old to the mart and gift them for 50 quid or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

If you buy calves at 4 weeks old, u shouldn't lose many. Training, scour, tagging, dehorning all done and dusted. Feed oad and keep dry and good ventilation, should be very little work. Dairy farmers are moving them because of space and labour in general

• Registered Users Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Sold a batch of Friesian bull calves 2 to 3 weeks to a farmer for 45 euro

I’m also a dairy farmer and agree to a point ….I’ve kept them and for me there’s more money in keeping few more cows ….point I’m making is how crucial the export market is and if/when it goes we have a serious problem …fully stand over not bringing home calves from mart if at all possible …disease risk too high

• Advertisement

Snap I’d also have little issue rearing a calf to 6 weeks as long as my time snd cost is returned …I was tb restricted last spring and had to hold calves till late March …Fr bulls practically reared made 85/120 euro ….costing me over 25 euro per week to keep that calf atm

Advertisement