Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

One common fault with Irish housing is that the passages and loafing areas are too tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Problem here, have a old cubicle shed with 96 cubicles but passages are very narrow and so are cubicles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭green daries

There's laws here also .... not enforced of course it's a cow per cubicle minimum there is or was a proposed change to something like eleven for ten cows I think . obviously I'm open to correction 😊👍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭green daries

It's law it's all covered under the animal welfare and also in council by laws which covers the derogations etc it's not well known in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I know of lads with a fraction of cubicles for their cows, they never seem to be pulled up on it. Anyone where gloves while milking, hands here are freezing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

It's one rule for one and a different rule for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Yep always same those that go out of there way to be complient near always the ones that are pulled for inspections

It was suggested that 10% extra cubicles be a necessity to pass the bord bia audit...

Massive resistance as you can imagine and topic went away.

How would such a suggestion go fown now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Farmers are allowed farm because the public let them…social license. That license is even more pronounced when Gov grant aid farmers to a high degree. However when you’ve a Dail full of farmers, publicans and teachers, the industry almost has control of the Dept of Ag.

For perspective.

It takes from 5 to 7 years to get planning permission to start a dairy farm here from scratch. For argument’s sake let’s say that you’ve permission for 100 cows. Absolutely everything is registered on the farm computer. The Dept has 24/7/365 access to that computer. If the herd goes to 105 cows, the warnings start arriving on the computer, asking did you forget to register that you dried off cows etc etc.

Ye’re about 20mins away from scandal if an honest xposé comes public. I know that there’s some excellent farmers out there, but it only takes a small minority to fcuk it up for everyone.

Prudence is needed especially when outlandish claims are made about the brilliance of the industry.

I’m not discussing the matter further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

If farming is so difficult in France how come the Gardiner's can sell their house in Ireland and in the space of 15 years be farming 3000 acres in France? No way could they have achieved anything like it in Ireland. The whole thing is a joke here as far as I can see. Trying their best to destroy the whole thing at every turn. The "best technical advice" from our advisors and journalists all follow the same narrative. As for your social licence, it looks like they'll be damn glad to have farmers very soon. I just dumped a load of fr bull calves for 5 euro a piece because no boat sailing. They shut down tillage, beef, beet, pigs. Everyone go into highly profitable dairying they said. Bunch of kunts, the whole lot of them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

Am I the only farmer with no grazing done yet? 18ml of rain here again yesterday. It was great to get all that slurry out I good conditions in January and not be under pressure with it now. Lads out these days with the rain gun and it's going straight to the river....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Know of nobody under pressure with slurry this year, regardless of grazing done or not?

Post edited by Mooooo on

Plenty pix of lads firing slurry over ditches on Twitter…I was under the illusion that was illegal.

Doing it and putting it on social media not the smartest of thinking on both counts

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I haven't seen any pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭cosatron

We haven't the cows out yet either. Usaully after paddy days. Milking well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭cosatron

Twitter is an absolute car crash sometimes and does farming no favours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Ah get off your high horse Dawg if you only seek out the worst you will find it. But vast majority are doing the right thing and don't be posting pictures of themselves doing it. You're getting a tad tiresome with you're digs at Irish dairy farmers, which is a pity because you're other posts when you stick to your own farming practices are much more interesting.

Ah here, Straight brought it to our attention…and as per usual there were the denials.

A couple of days back a poster on here spread slurry before the rain saying it’s ‘washed off or washed in’.

I’m on good land and over 1000km south, and we were allowed spread on Thursday last for good reason. But hey attack me why don’t you. Le Ouest Sauvage.

https://twitter.com/jeomaher/status/1502980833044537345?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Wind up merchants are best ignored. One of a few regular posters on here that are not allies of the Irish farmer especially Irish dairy farmers. The hate is real with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Some people are so out of touch tweeting that... its not even St Patrick's day and the excellent autumn we had... Also nice big shiny sheds in the pinned tweet...can someone send him a dm before Dawg notifies John Gibbons and Gavin Daly.

Settle lad.

There’s a few forthright posters here like Straight, Jay etc etc that I’ve the greatest respect for…but making the forum an echo chamber for navel gazers that enjoy the smell of their own farts, isn’t on. I’ll not do the ‘hear no evil, see no evil’ crap

I had over 30mins of footage a few days ago that had the potential to cause issues which I deleted, and furthermore encouraged the man that took it to delete it also.

Be a hero and report it to the relevant authorities then if you have such information. You have a pathetic obsession with Irish dairy making it difficult to take such claims seriously without evidence.

Anyway cows have been out about 8 days here in 2022. Slurry out in early February in good conditions. Loads of silage left. Normally not out by night until April 10th

Only about 22% grazed. Heifers will go out this week, first of fert will be going out as well and maybe slurry if it stays dry for both.

Everything happening has me going around in circles in my head re what to do here and plans up in the air. Still pales compared to those directly effected by war but seeing a way ahead for making life easier and new issues delaying that or stopping it is frustrating

He had the evidence, and it was on twitter today put on by a poster himself (although it wouldnt be in execution territory)

However, massive expansion (in some instances), the drive on with 2nd and 3rd "platforms" ,has drawn the ire of of the authorities who have a legal obligation to reduce emissions, from some of the general public who see this carry on as rampant negligence.

So many expansionists have played the card of its easier to ask for forgiveness. Its been allowed by the lack of oversight, by an acceptance by neighbours and fellow farmers, but the whole disregard has now put us in a catch 22 situtation.

Whether we all get nailed here, or whether gov will start to unwind from the greater offenders...we'll see, but hardly a point in getting snotty with someone who points it out, just because he's detatched now from the problem.

Supposed to be building new parlour this year, don't know what to do

Like I said, report it and have it dealt with by the powers that be. Rather than coming on here creating an image it's widespread tarring all of us. It would be no issue if it wasn't for the constant snide remarks about the industry generally, grants, Teagasc advice and so forth. It's a clear agenda and it's tedious after a while.

• Advertisement

Local builders have had builds cancelled and are expecting a rel quiet summer, due to the rise in costs.

Main fear is milk price dropping before everything else and managing that period

Advertisement