Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I was out with an aurivo group this morning for clover. I had always been told that when looking at clover you estimate what percentage of the clover is in the grass and then half it. This group talked about the amount of coverage per m2, and rating it from 1-5, 5 being that every square meter had at least one clover plant to 1 being 20% or less had a clover plant. The advice was that 4 and 5 rated paddocks could go with reduced nitrogen for the summer and back end. 3 could be managed up for a 4 and 1 & 2 would likely need a reseed/oversow to get enough clover to reduce N.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭ginger22

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

Quality bulls were cheap at the IHFA sale when you consider the money lads demand for an Angus bull off their own stock bull.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/watch-radney-ronan-hits-5-000-at-ihfa-premier-sale-689284

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Growth is fair bad here, getting fair tight. Feeding bales before milking

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Soupy2

Just started 2nd round will have em in by night for a week ☹️

• Advertisement

That's not what Elodie or the spring grazing plan said would happen. 🤔🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

heard the same from a pal back home in Kildare this week who I used to do farm relief for. Frosty nights and a cold drying wind has knocked back grass growth quiet a bit. Think things will improve next week on that front but there are signs of a cool/cold dry easterly setting up for after Easter, especially for Eastern coastal counties

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Still grazing silage ground here. ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

You’d have to wonder if anyone could take those figures seriously at this stage. Week in week out, the predicted growth is over optimistic

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

What ever about cold weather and growth back ….shows how important it is to get grazing early..in second round since Thursday here looks tight but I’m fine ….have 50 units urea and 4 k slurry out and it’s shown …..farms that were light with fertiliser and slow turning out are mostly the ones that are tight …..accept some have late farms and this year no different to others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

On the third round here and no npk spread yet. Not really worried about grass. It's still coming. No silage supplementation to the milkers. I've drys however fat as fools still in on silage. Silage ground still being grazed in the rounds. Milk is really flowing now. Average 32 litres last collection. 3.87f 3.47p.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Profitable system your running Cows @27L here 3.7p 4.4bfat half second round grazed will be into third round within a fortnight trying to slow cows down not too bad but grazing 1000/1100s atm cold days and nights not helping but once we get heat and kindness everywhere should bust out of it Always tight this time of year regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Thanks.🤣

Grass doesn't look much but they are milking on it. Mild weather on the way too so this is a temporary crunch time.

But made a mistake of not continuing ibr vaccinating when I gave up a few years back. Those drys would be milking now if I had of kept it up. Lesson learnt last year.

Same here. Alot of my silage ground has not seen any type of fertiliser since last August and it's a bit dead for them now I think. I have them on it day and night to get through it and milk has really dropped. The cold catches me bad here. Cows are milking 28 litres on 3kg of 15% nut. 3.85 fat, 3.49 protein. I've about double the heifers that I usually have which doesn't help and alot of cows won't eat their nuts from being too full of grass. Bitter evening here now.

I thought myself that it was the guys that were out early and ate all their grass that were in trouble. Very little recovery in the second round around here. What did grow got burnt again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Growth of 36 here, grazed a bit of second round by night as cows were grazing furthest paddocks by day and those night paddocks can get wet if weather breaks. Have a few high covers of first round left but will still prob graze them as will be in there in 2 days. Heifers on block as well. Wont close ground at home for silage this year, will pullout the ones needing reseeding instead and bale any surplus. Cows doing ok about 27 at 4bf and 3.5p, bf up and down a bit. Struggling with scc this spring, longish walks and being held to cross roads doesn't help, too much time standing around and walking. 9 left to calve😤

Milk recorded last week. 27.2 litres, 30% autumn calvers in that. 3.75 bf and 3.62 protein. Still a good few to calve

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Yeah I agree but hearing off a lot of ppl they’re getting tight for grass

we’re grazing1500s 2nd round atm, grazed a month ago, reseeded last may

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭cosatron

it doesn't matter if you have started grazing early or late, or from the south east or north west, or have 20 units or 80 units of fertilizer out once mother nature doesn't play ball we are screwed, so im asking nicely and can the cold miserable breeze please f**k off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Enough rain today for the month anyway.

Anyone ever fatten freemartin FR heifers?

One of the 12 maiden heifers I sold last week has shown up as half a twin so I need to take her back.

I bought them as calves 12 months ago and just assumed they were all sound. Another lesson learned!

So, does anyone have any experience with them? Eg. what type of weight should she be before she goes on the hook?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

New one for me today, Saw a man take off a damaged teat with a burdizzo, Couldn't believe how clean it was and how little it bled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Old timer around here did that with cull cows with mastitis. Allows the crap to drain out. Supposed to work well.

On the free martin twins, never took them further that the mart at two years old. Always did well there but they were in with the incalf heifers all their life so were never neglected. Very poor form to be sold one as a calf.

I’ll do something similar with that heifer I’d say. She go in with the beef heifers and go to the mart in Nov/Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Saw another cow that had had it done also, she was letting down milk out of the damaged teat as she was being milked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭einn32

I used do it all the time. Often saved a cows quarter and milked her away.

Land is making some money in Wexford. 22k per acre for landlocked land.

https://www.quinnproperty.ie/carrigbeg-craanford-gorey-co-wexford-auction-report/

First day of ai and cow went down in the crush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Temperatures up here today, due to hit 16, badly needed, had to put in some silage just to keep the rotation length. Cows doing 25L, 4.46 BF and 3.78 PR. Hoping the last three will calve in the next couple of days

Advertisement