Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Nutrient Management 

1. The amount of livestock manure from grazing livestock applied to the land each year on grassland farms, including by the animals themselves, shall not exceed the amount of manure containing 250 kg N/ha, 

By the letter of the law, are people with high MP SR not breaking this rule in the 2022 nitrates regs? Cos my reading of the above is that none of your land should be getting more than 250kg organic N/ha?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

How much would a private advisory service cost for doing that does anyone have an idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I'm private and it's costing me around the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

You can do the sfp yourself on agfood.

Dunno bout derogation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

That was a nice write up on the bull OTS in the IHFA journal. Plenty small herds doing well in the breeding game.

I got a text from my AI company this year with mating requests for my "superior cows". Nice. 😀 The breeding is my favourite part of dairy farming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭ginger22

and is all about ebi or do they look at production,classification, cow families,

The IHFA story was about the whole picture and how the bulls EBI was holding steady as opposed to others.

When the AI company bought my bull, they classified the dam and grand dam. They are all registered pedigree. They must have then registered the dam as a superior cow on their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭green daries

Just have to add to that point that most lads don't bother arguing with teagasc converts anymore it's not that they have been silenced as some like to think it's just they couldn't be bothered ........ like many good posters on here who don't bother anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Got serious abuse of a poster here re ebi and the folly of it, for a good 6 years this lad couldn't be told anything different, he spends his days now decrying Irish bulls and how it ruined his herd of cows, has totally abandoned Irish genetics, you can being a horse to water but you can't make him drink it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭green daries

I've spent my life trying not to laugh at lads or poke fun at them but sometimes I get it hard to stick to the line. Slow and steady. good functional stock of whatever type you need. A fad is usually just that a fad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Each to their own, what works for someone mightnt work for someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

using high ebi for last 10 years here

dad would have been cross breeding for 20 years before that

I could have 8 k litre herd by now if I starting using Holstein genetics 10 years ago when I started out at home but I’ve no interest in getting my solids through litres and having to spend all spring buffer feeding to maintain intakes on high litre cows

no silage in my milkers diet since 12th March, not possible for everyone with land type etc but K.I.S.S is how I like to keep it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My plan is when the cows go out full time they don't come back in until the backend

I heard an interesting fact there on a teagasc podcast. 400kgMs is the break even point for keeping a cow for the year. So I guess now is the time to get rid of those passengers with the price of culls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I’ve given up listening to a lot of the general advice and drivel comming out of a lot within tegasc and ifj etc …all too general and one way thinking ..I’ve figured out high ebi bulls ain’t for me for v good reasons I’ve started growing maize /winter wheat …I feed a heap of meal I buffer cows well into summer based on sound advice from well informed open minded sources and it’s all comming together nicely at farm level ….couldn’t give less of 2 shites getting hung up comparing my farm to others on differing systems

Theres a lot of grass here in south wicklow

Lots of lads taking out bales

Its growing at a rate of knotts and almost perfect growth conditions in the week ahead

Good to see 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Measured growth of 75 this morning a bit north of you. Bit deceiving though as heavier paddocks growing at 100-120.

draging the mower out to grease up and have ready for good weather at weekend

Entirely dependent on what your costs are

could be lower if you haven’t much loans

I thought it was interesting. Based on a group producing 520kg solids I think. Worked for last year and also this year so I'd say 400 kg is a good benchmark. It was based on figures taken from the profit monitor within the group. They were saying that it costs 1800 to keep a cow last year @ 5 euro per kg and the same figures would work @ 6 euro per kg this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

That KPI makes no sense...

It costs a lot more to keep a 650kg cow than ot does to keep a 450kg cow..

Different systems, no relationship in costs.

If this is a narrative that being put out just to shake up the underperforming herds, it's a poor one.....just going to create and confuse a debate that needn't be had.

• Advertisement

I just thought it was accurate enough for my own situation and shared it here so it might help others. I didn't mean to upset anyone by posting it.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy50cmFuc2lzdG9yLmZtL3RoZS1kYWlyeS1lZGdl/episode/MGE2ZTc4Y2YtNWMyMS00NTJiLTk5NDgtM2IxZDgwYjM2ZTZi?ep=14

No you’re 100% right, just that everyone needs to know there cost of production and if you’ve cows below it they shouldnt be on farm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭ginger22

At the end of the day there are only 2 important figures that matter, revenue received for milk sold and cost of production, these figures vary from farm to farm dependiong on system but the difference between the two is the profit.,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

The same podcast had an economist on the previous week, estimated production costs were going to be 8c/l higher this year. Again will vary farm to farm but with milk running at 15/16c/l more than last year it’s hard to argue it’s going to be a bad year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

I don’t know. Maybe this year isn’t the worst of our problems. It could be spring 2023 due to the price and availability of Fertiliser and Feed. With the added complication that fodder could be in short supply too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭cosatron

were only in may so i wouldn't be gettting to excited, its a long year.

Thats what I was thinking. I got a thing from the co op there predicting an average milk price of 44 cent for this year. If I'm not mistaken the last few gdt auctions fell.

Letter today with the new twice monthly payment dates for glanbia

I'd say now it suits their cashflow to do it this way

Payday in Glanbia has usually been the 18th unless its on a weekend when it'll be a Friday of that weekend

This new system might catch people out if you've large direct debits or cheques set to go out on the 19th or 20th

So worth having a look at that

No impact here,but I prefer the old system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭cosatron

meal is predicted to hit 500 a tonne and barley/oats will be 400 a tonne and lads are already going with less fertilizer on the silage grounds, so fodder will be back or pure sh*t and co-op will pull the prices the first chance they get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Well your costs should be locked in at this stage

Advertisement