Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

24.5 litres. 4.10 bf 3.45pr. MU 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Volume has dropped over the wkend, ran low in meal so cut back for the wkend to have a bit to give this morning didn't help. collection this morning just under 26, hopefully will recover back up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,218 ✭✭✭Grueller

21% heifers

28% second calvers

Remainder all 3rd calvers

23.8 litres, protein 3.42, bf 4.45, MU 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Had a quick scan there earlier maybe didn't see all the tweets but the 2 fellows I did see think the sun, moon and stars shine from their @#&f.

Think nobody else is doing anything right only themselves.

Round is too short to go stemy.

When the grass is under stress it goes stemy. With the foliar and soil feeding it seem to keep it at the vegetative stage for longer.

• Advertisement

Ah you know why it's happening.

It's all these tweets in the past from Pippa.

And all these tweets were to keep a cohort vote. Mention destructive, intensive, fire starting farmers and she gets the thanks and likes and retweets.

And tweeting farmers business on twitter with pictures without seeing if such a thing was legal or right or wrong or not.

I'm non plussed on it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Some ugly stuff doing the rounds on Twitter today via the EU farm commissioner Twitter account - shows Ireland is second in the EU for herbicide/pesticide use on farmland per/HA. Not a good look at all given Bord Bia's waffle on such things. TBH I was a bit shocked at the figures myself though I think it is already clear to most that herbicides use on grassland, roadsides, hedgerows etc. is excessive in many parts of the country. While farming will rightly take alot of the blame CC's, Forestry contractors, Golf Clubs, Urban estate maintenance companies etc. need reigning in too...

Per hectare of cropland.

It's because of our damp climate and well.. agronomists advice right or wrong.

Gardeners and council use should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

25 litres

4.1 fat

3.62pr

Urea 25

35% autumn calvers in that. Will be starting to dry off in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

Had a quick look on twitter, didnt see any tweets about pippas husbands helmet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

What your doing sounds really interesting think you might be ahead of the curve . Farm here is really struggling on lower n routine here and probably have left a bit of milk behind me this year because of it . Ureas running very low all year and grass quality rubbish . Feeding heavy now for last few weeks . It has been a bumper year for silage alright we had over 11t DM ha in some fields

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

They're certainly there, A prominent cow man and a prominent pig man

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Joking I know but Just had a scan myself to see what all the excitement was about, he seems to be running the irelands farmer acc. Can't really see anything in the responses other than the usual nonsense expected.

I'm definitely leaving milk behind.

But if this is not the year to try this, no year is. Anyway we all know what way the wind is blowing.

Now if everyone spread say the gypsum, sea shell, the others, etc. The price would go up and maybe availability limited. But anyway I definitely need rain now. Interesting though you'd spot more this way. The paddocks that got char are more evident and showing more than if I was a high rate of fert.

Molasses though is key I think to build up hearth. And that with the minerals builds up nitrogen in the soil. Although going on other years my milk urea was low. Only difference then was I had no fulvic acid or this magic magnetic yoke.

I'm not exactly scientific about any of this. 🙂

If a thing works I'll keep doing it and if it doesn't I won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I saw a prominent guy on twitter talking about spraying milk to help microbes in the soil. Any thoughts on that?

He was talking about 10L in 100L water to the acre

Running at 20L/day here. 3.93P, 4.63BF on 2,kg aday

Thoughts.

Wash out your sprayer well before use with baking soda and water. Use only tank milk, no high scc milk or treated milk.

I'd be inclined to go on a cloudy dry day. And even after all that if you get a good/great hit result don't assume it'll be that way the next and always. That good great first result could be just an element balancing and a result from a big shock excitement to the microbes in something different being applied.

There's nothing to lose in trying it out. But if you try it out give it a fair trial and don't pick your worst piece of ground.

I've an inkling if there's a hint of humic acid, peat in the ground it'll work better.

Edit : And the water choice is important. Rain water or non treated well water. And even then with the well water it's better if left standing for a few hours.

TBH I'd need to read up a lot more before I'd try something like that, otherwise I'd find it hard to evaluate what success looks like.

I've gone without N on half the MP since April 1st, hard to tell yet whether it's residual nitrogen keeping things going yet or whether the clover is doing its job

• Registered Users Posts: 5,218 ✭✭✭Grueller

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I be running around the same, land wouldn't be the best, but not stocked that highly

• Advertisement

Thanks, Ya, young herd, 80% second calvers. Buying in a herd gives you a mighty leg up

PH of the water?

Out of interest what would you think the EPA would make of it?

FWIW the two lads I saw talking about it raved about it and when questioned on the environmental effects gave some details on ppm that stacked up from the quick glance I gave it

Post edited by Green&Red on

If it's rain or well there's no need to even think of looking at pH.

There'd be feck all risk. it's only a misting of diluted milk. The higher the biological oxygen demand of anything just means it's a highly effective food source for microbes. And your spraying it on the soil and leaf not dumping it in a waterway. That'll be consumed by microbes in the soil and leaf in under half an hour. Those extra microbes then will be another carbon source in the soil.

If anyone says anything, bamboozle them with carbon drawdown and climate change and soil resiliance to drought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Can't abide that clown of a prominent dairy farming couple, we'd all be on easy Street if the wife was doing the milkings the kids feeding the calves and anything and everything in between along with a team of students drafted in for calving, fair play re their work with the mental health side of things but present day he really can't be a true advocate for it, given his current farming circumstances are that far attached from the modern day realities of people trying to keep the wheels spinning on their own

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

It’s just ridiculous, purely trying to score a few points. I’m no fan of pippa but this is just silly shite

The Hynes let there v young teenage daughter out to calve a cow on her own, that’s v irresponsible imv. Calving cows are highly dangerous no matter how well you think you know them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

An ethical question for lads that cross roads with cows.we do it here on a normal country road and we always stop the cows and let a car that comes along go through and open up again. I have seen other farmers let cars que up while their cows trundle along and don't seem to make any effort to speed up the cows or let cars go.to me that's inconsiderate and I think most people have better things to do than waiting for my cows to come home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭cosatron

Depends on the numbers, we have a small amount and get them across fairly fast but if I had big numbers I would stop them and let the cars go by. I also wait until there is no car in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I let the cars off, why should they wait every day or a few times a week

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Lios67

Absolutely let the cars pass here too . It’s important to keep your neighbours on your side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Time keeping rush. If only I had got my ass out of the bed earlier, I would have avoided this..

Back in the day, we had three neighbours with cows on the road. One let his cows wander on their own along the public road into the milking parlour, even though all his land was on the same side of the road, he used it as a farm road. Further along another farmer would run through his cows to get you through. And lastly a farmer's wife whom I'm sure took delight in ignoring and delaying me.

Advertisement