Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,701 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

18.3l 5.25bf 4.08pr 3kg meal

Do you still have the pb jerseys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Grueller

All heifers
    17 litres 3.63 protein 4.47 bf 3.5kgs meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

whelan2 wrote: »
    Do you still have the pb jerseys?

Yeah. 9 pure bred heifers coming in in the spring, I can usually train the heifers in on my own but I think I'll need help for these!

17.5 litres 4.2 bf 3.84 pr. Autumn calvers just starting to come in now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

20 litres, 3.78 pr, 4.25 fat. Just increased the meal from 2kg to 3kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

19.5L, no results for a couple of collections last one was at 4.1bf and 3.76p on 2500 covers, back to 1800 covers with 5 days now so hopefully solids have improved, was at 3.85p at the start of the month before the heavy covers. 4kgs meal

Mooooo wrote: »
    19.5L, no results for a couple of collections last one was at 4.1bf and 3.76p on 2500 covers, back to 1800 covers with 5 days now so hopefully solids have improved, was at 3.85p at the start of the month before the heavy covers. 4kgs meal

Do you not get results for every collection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,697 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Bf 4.43. Pr 3.72. Litres 17.8. Scc 103.
    Butterfat is doing better than other years here. Must be new genetics coming in with good clean outs.
    Topper not needed this year bar one paddock with thistles.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Do you not get results for every collection?

Normally do but apparently some issue with comp on truck.....

Normally do but apparently some issue with comp on truck.....

What about text message by phone?

• Advertisement

What about text message by phone?

Truck leaves docket with litres on it, it's the other side that's the problem, will see what comes back from em

Truck leaves docket with litres on it, it's the other side that's the problem, will see what comes back from em

Yea but do you get a text message from Dairygold of every collection?
    In Glanbia you get the litres amount, fat, protein, MU, lactose, solids, scc, on every collection via a text message.
    I've gotten one tonight and the lorry will have it on paper tomorrow with the next collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

22.6 Ltrs 4.37 fat 3.88 p just over 4 kg meal

In Glanbia you get the litres amount, fat, protein, MU, lactose, solids, scc, on every collection via a text message.
    I've gotten one tonight and the lorry will have it on paper tomorrow with the next collection.

Arrabawn simillar results of today’s collection go out as text tomorrow tbc and thermo at start and end of month

Printout only leaves litres from that collection. Normally get results via txt and on the app but none up. Some issue with data transfer on their side

https://youtu.be/T97mHP7700Q

Target weights based on maintenance sub index
    ours is 24€ but they were well over 400kg when I saw them 3 weeks ago

https://youtu.be/T97mHP7700Q

Target weights based on maintenance sub index
    ours is 24€ but they were well over 400kg when I saw them 3 weeks ago

Did ye or will ye weigh young stock? Weighed calves here Sep 1st, weighed 175kgs average a tad hungry at time of weighing as should have been moved a day earlier. No meal in July and August back on a kg now. Will split out smaller ones this week at dosing and put in a separate group

Did ye or will ye weigh young stock? Weighed calves here Sep 1st, weighed 175kgs average a tad hungry at time of weighing as should have been moved a day earlier. No meal in July and August back on a kg now. Will split out smaller ones this week at dosing and put in a separate group

They'll be weighed before housing to split off any lighter ones but I think they're spot on atm just looking at them
    Guy rearing them has 10 lighter ones in a group all summer and they've came on well too, I wouldnt have any fear of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

Rotation speed here up from 19 to 23 days...Struggling with PGY at 1900. That's too high for improved regrowth after grazing, and is 300 higher than anything we've grazed all year.

Amazed at this 30/35 day advise. If we set for that from mid august, and the growth rates we have achieved, we would be looking at PGY of 2700. Growth is good, but not abnormal. Will push for 30 days for next rotation and another 30 for last (not full rotation)

alps wrote: »
    Rotation speed here up from 19 to 23 days...Struggling with PGY at 1900. That's too high for improved regrowth after grazing, and is 300 higher than anything we've grazed all year.

Amazed at this 30/35 day advise. If we set for that from mid august, and the growth rates we have achieved, we would be looking at PGY of 2700. Growth is good, but not abnormal. Will push for 30 days for next rotation and another 30 for last (not full rotation)

Big advocate of @graisecinsultibg approach on spring and back end Fertliser and grazing management .makes so much more sense than the advice tegasc have thee out and still are for years .currently grazing 1600 covers serioys regrowths snd cleanouts and cows still on near 2 kgms last full rotation followed cows with 30 units urea ,good bit parlour washings stored and will be spreading that away behind cows currently on 26 day round will stretch it to 30 silage will be going in here from early October to stretch grass and because of high sr and also to keep dm intakes up.will house at afc of 600 some time around 10/15 November

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

alps wrote: »

Hit another burst of growth here this week, up in the 80s with a demand of 44 so I'm close to peak covers about 2 weeks ahead of schedule. I'll have to bring back the dry stock to increase demand for a week or two.

Only have one paddock over 1800 but a good few at 1600. Good to have it but will we be able to get a good clean out when the weather turns?

Hit another burst of growth here this week, up in the 80s with a demand of 44 so I'm close to peak covers about 2 weeks ahead of schedule. I'll have to bring back the dry stock to increase demand for a week or two.

Only have one paddock over 1800 but a good few at 1600. Good to have it but will we be able to get a good clean out when the weather turns?

That’s the problem with heavy covers from now on when weather turns utilisation and clean outs will suffer as will cow performance not building covers as early and grazing 14/1600’covers as per what grade consulting advises on paper (and in reality to me)is a far sounder approach

mahoney_j wrote: »
    That’s the problem with heavy covers from now on when weather turns utilisation and clean outs will suffer as will cow performance not building covers as early and grazing 14/1600’covers as per what grade consulting advises on paper (and in reality to me)is a far sounder approach

We were growing in and around 60 for a good while and looked like we were going to be a good bit behind target. Went out with about 20 units of urea on the ground 10+ days ahead of the cows and that ground just exploded. I'll probably graze the heaviest ground next week just in case, it'll be around 1500 by then and maybe split back and forth between heavy and light covers for a while.

Ground is holding up well here so we'll be able for a good bit of rain before it starts becoming troublesome.

No massive growth here -60 kg . Silage in to build covers
    The wet weather brought on a burst of growth and used up any N that was in reserve and I didnt get more out when It was due. Suffering it now, will have to keep silage in by the looks and about to start a big slatted tank aswell as concreteing a yard

Still maintain I'd prefer covers over 2000 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Fairly crazy growth here still. Put out a mix of urea and 18 6 12 last week, to grass that was still green and seemed to have abit of nitrogen left in it, so clean outs not great this week, I'm certainly not pushing the cows to clean out and just topped afterwards anyways. We never build up an autumn wedge on purpose here, we are lucky that growth usually continues into the back end, and as others said, no point trying having 2k+ covers in wet weather, however this year I'm heading towards that as is, I'll take the risk right now because ground conditions are exceptional for late September, if it gets wet in oct/Nov but drys back up the heifers/dry cows can clean out any heavy covers I don't get to cleanout. At the minute my biggest worry is what the hell I'm gonna do with all this fodder in the yard this winter (famous last words in autumn 2017...)

Have an absolute blast of fodder here too. If I get my normal winter I reckon that I will be using bales until February 1st. I have 3 months in the pit too so I would think over half of my pit silage should be left at the end of the winter,barring 2018 like conditions.
    I tested the silage here yesterday.
    Pit tested at 77 did, 25 dm, 15.6 crude protein and 11.51 ME.
    Bales tested at 77 DMD, 39 dm, 15.98 crude protein and 11.55 ME
    I also have a few bales of auld glas meadows that I turned 5 times and wilted 4 days. 72 DMD, 53 DM, 12.15 Crude protein and 11.06 ME. Sucklers will get these. Apartheid is not dead here.

Grueller wrote: »
    Have an absolute blast of fodder here too. If I get my normal winter I reckon that I will be using bales until February 1st. I have 3 months in the pit too so I would think over half of my pit silage should be left at the end of the winter,barring 2018 like conditions.
    I also have a few bales of auld glas meadows that I turned 5 times and wilted 4 days. 72 DMD, 53 DM, 12.15 Crude protein and 11.06 ME. Sucklers will get these. Apartheid is not dead here.

Great silage there, fairplay.

Grueller wrote: »

That's great silage, you'll probably have to feed straw to stop cows going over condition
    How old are the swards?

No massive growth here -60 kg . Silage in to build covers
    The wet weather brought on a burst of growth and used up any N that was in reserve and I didnt get more out when It was due. Suffering it now, will have to keep silage in by the looks and about to start a big slatted tank aswell as concreteing a yard

Still maintain I'd prefer covers over 2000 now

Our DG went to William Dennihy on our day out yesterday, he's one of the Monitor Farms down here. Growing 16T on heavy enough ground but doesn't get the cold temperatures, very sheltered farm. He wouldn't come anywhere near 2000 covers as he reckons he would have difficulty grazing out any swards properly when the wet weather comes.

Some operator in fairness to him.
    Cows always come in the gap farthest from the yard and leave from the nearest.
    24 hour paddocks for another while before he goes 12 hour strips.
    A gap in the middle of each paddock so the umbilical can get the pipe through the whole farm so the slurry gets spread in spring.
    He's put in a spur roadway to the back of paddocks that would already have good access. He ran it up from the farm road to the back of a paddock and then along the boundary for a couple of hundred meters so he can graze the front half of his paddocks from the farm road and the back with access from the spur road. Dug out the top soil and laid pencil to the surface of the ground. Cuts silage straight over the roadway.
    All water pipes are underground and two water troughs in the middle of each paddock so he can strip/block/paddock graze easily.
    Won't cut bales off paddocks with low Ps as he struggles to replace the P afterwards.

Well worth seeing the farm and talking to the man if any of you get a chance.

• Advertisement

That's great silage, you'll probably have to feed straw to stop cows going over condition
    How old are the swards?

Pit silage was all reseeded in 2011 & 2012
    Good bales were in 2014
    Glas bales in 1971 ha.

Advertisement